Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Notices

Old June 14th, 2021, 09:30 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Re: Alternate Sculpts

Cool. I have some Reaper Bones goblins that I was planning on turning into a couple squads if I had to. Next time I get around to a big mini oxymoron order I might have to give these guys a try.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old June 16th, 2021, 01:40 AM

Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Has anyone played around with this figure as a proxy for Asterios? He's a pretty similar size, is a typical fantasy minotaur, and the sculpt was used twice in the same set (again as the 042 Minotaur) so there's no shortage of availability.
Old September 10th, 2021, 10:20 AM

TreePowerz is surprisingly tart

Love the idea of alternate sculpts! Is there a process of getting figures “approved” and added to this list? The only reason I think this may be useful is for tournament organizers to easily identify “approved” proxy figures. It is easy to say “all alternate sculpts on the Dad Scaper list are approved for use.”
Old September 10th, 2021, 10:48 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Right, that's the point of the thread. One stop shopping, for those who would find value in that.

I don't think I have any special power here, but I know I'm a grognard and I've been involved in the C3V (and the SoV, for a time) since its inception. So I'll "approve," to use your word, minis for use in this thread.

Thanks for your interest, site veteran who rarely posts!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old September 12th, 2021, 09:17 PM

Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death!

This is not technically an alternate sculpt, but rather an alternate paint job. Nevertheless I suspect it qualifies for the spirit of Dad_Scaper's thread, which is to gather alternative discoveries that are more affordable and/or available than the official and quasi-official HS and VC figures.

Executioner 616's prescribed miniature is a black-and-white unit called Neanderthal (or possibly Neanderthal "Silas"), from the MechWarrior Solaris VII: Heavy-Class Action Pack. This same sculpt was produced in other paint schemes, including a very Utgar-friendly black/red/gold version called Neanderthal "El Diablo Rojo", which currently has very high availability on Troll & Toad for 99 cents:

Yeah, that image on T&T is pretty weirdly posed, which is possible because MechWarrior mechs are generally articulated. On this model you can rotate the wrist, shoulders, and waist; there's usually enough friction that they stay where you put them, but if you like you can glue things down in the pose you prefer. Anyway, here's a better example:

Due to that weird pose, I didn't realize when ordering it that this mech's torso has white paint around its waist and armpits. Looks kinda derpy to me (maybe this is the T-shirt that wifebeater mechs wear under their armor?), so I quickly hit his underoos with a cheap paintbrush and some Apple Barrel matte Jet Black acrylic (from Walmart for, like, 58 cents?) and the result looks pretty good:

It's still not exactly ideal for an Utgar soulborg, but it fits in reasonably well enough with the Deathwalker/Deathwarden Dance Debut.

At least it seems better (to my OCD, anyway) than the "Silas" version, which always makes my brain quietly mutter skunkbot under its obsessive-compulsive breath.

Good traders: tdemirji, AbsintheAddict, Blubberguy22, Toa Matoro, SuperSamyon, Bl1ndsn1per, Ericth74,
Clipper423, Oh Freek, Nikkomon, DarthBaggins, quizzcode, Astroking112 & more on my trade list
Old September 12th, 2021, 09:38 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Looks great. Thanks for the side by side photo, JAB.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old September 16th, 2021, 01:55 PM

Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death!

If you don't mind doing your own painting (and a little bit of assembly — mostly gluing arms/heads into torsos, I think), the Runewars Miniatures Game core set has tons of minis with great proxy potential. FFG's MSRP is $99.95, but just a few minutes ago I bought one on Amazon for $35.60, and it qualified for free shipping without needing Prime. (That's just a simple product-page link; I don't get an affiliate bonus or anything.)
EDIT: Some of you can probably get this even cheaper from Troll & Toad, who currently has 53 in stock at $19.99. Shipping kills it for me since I'm on the west coast, but I tried an east coast address and it came up with $10.24 economy shipping for a total of $30.23.

I've never owned any Runewars miniatures (and won't have them in hand for a few days yet), but one of the things I'm liking here is that their squad units seem to come in four different poses, which is pretty ideal for Scape.

Four squads of Cathar Spearmen proxies:

Four squads of Skeletons of Annellintia proxies (or five squads of Tomb Skeletons plus an extra figure):

Four squads (8 figures) of Tomb Skeleton Archers proxies (although I might design my own archer squad that's a counterpart to the Annellintia melee bones):

One squad of Templars proxies, plus a Sir Dupuis proxy:

That's a lot of squaddage for 36 bucks, and I'm not even considering the 4 hero figures that also come in the box.

EDIT: I just realized that for this thread I should also mention that you can buy all of these individually.

• Cathar Spearmen — Spearmen Unit Expansion (Runewars; 8 figures)
• Skeletons of Annellintia / Tomb Skeletons — Reanimates Unit Expansion (Runewars; 8 figures)
• Tomb Skeleton Archers — Reanimate Archers Unit Expansion (Runewars; 8 figures)
• Templars / Sir Dupuis — Oathsworn Cavalry Unit Expansion (Runewars; 4 figures)

Of course this way is less economical, but if you just need one or two units, these expansions have an MSRP of $24.95 and I've seen a few of them priced in the mid teens on eBay. In fact, in my total ignorance about Runewars I was moments away from buying two boxes of the Reanimates Unit Expansion for about $13 each that way, when I decided to check Amazon. Discovering that just 10 bucks more would get me a core box with the same 16 melee skeletons plus all the other stuff was a no-brainer for me. I'm no artist, but deals like this compel me to get off my butt and up my painting game.

Good traders: tdemirji, AbsintheAddict, Blubberguy22, Toa Matoro, SuperSamyon, Bl1ndsn1per, Ericth74,
Clipper423, Oh Freek, Nikkomon, DarthBaggins, quizzcode, Astroking112 & more on my trade list

Last edited by Just_a_Bill; September 16th, 2021 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Possibly cheaper at Troll & Toad
Old September 17th, 2021, 10:12 AM

AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_a_Bill View Post
Spoiler Alert!
I'll always post this when I see the opportunity- for anyone who wants to see them after a paint job. Couldn't ask for better proxies at a better price point!

Old September 29th, 2021, 03:36 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

To buy the 3 Sculpts use for the Zettian Infantry will run you around $13 - $14. Since these Sculpts are Star Wars Super Battle Droids, the StarWars Legion line of Minis has a set of Super Battle Droids for between $21 (as I found it priced at my local game store) and $35 for 6 figures, which is roughly the same price per figure after shipping, or cheaper if you can find it locally. If you don't want to 3D print, and especially if you are already playing Star Wars Legion, this looks like a good alternative.

Here's a comparison shot:

Notably, the Legion Super Battle Droids are about 2 millimeters taller:

The Legion Super Battle Droids were assembled and painted up by my friend @Stripe x

Last edited by Leaf_It; October 30th, 2021 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Added that there are 6 figures in the Star Wars Legion set.
Old October 7th, 2021, 10:17 AM

AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Just dropping in to recommend an alternate mini for Crypt Guardians, since they're becoming so rare. This is a Mummy Guardian mini from the most recent Pathfinder release, Bestiary Unleashed.

It's currently priced at $3, and should have solid availability for some time.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/324338
https://www.miniaturemarket.com/pbbu-12.html
https://www.trollandtoad.com/d-d-swm...attles/1723159
Old October 10th, 2021, 02:21 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
To buy the 3 Sculpts use for the Zettian Infantry will run you around $13 - $14. Since these Sculpts are Star Wars Super Battle Droids, the StarWars Legion line of Minis has a set of Super Battle Droids for between $21 (as I found it priced at my local game store) and $35. If you don't want to 3D print, and especially if you are already playing Star Wars Legion, this looks like a good alternative.

Here's a comparison shot:

Notably, the Legion Super Battle Droids are about 2 millimeters taller:

The Legion Super Battle Droids were assembled and painted up by my friend @Stripe x
Are you playing Star Wars Legion Now Leaf? I Love Star Wars Legion. If you want the star wars minis from the old line, I'd be happy to trade you for the legion stuff. I have quite a few of the WOTC ones that I don't use anymore. I 3d printed myself 6 squads of the Animated looking B2s but haven't picked up any of the official ones yet.

EDIT: I just counted, I have 18 of the old WOTC B2s.
Old October 10th, 2021, 05:29 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Are you playing Star Wars Legion Now Leaf? I Love Star Wars Legion. If you want the star wars minis from the old line, I'd be happy to trade you for the legion stuff. I have quite a few of the WOTC ones that I don't use anymore. I 3d printed myself 6 squads of the Animated looking B2s but haven't picked up any of the official ones yet.

EDIT: I just counted, I have 18 of the old WOTC B2s.
My roommate plays it. I don't own any of it myself. I've resigned myself to just HeroScape, mainly so that I don't hurt my wallet too much. Legion looks cool though. I'm glad there's a good Star Wars miniatures game out there that's alive and being developed.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs