Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old November 1st, 2006, 07:32 PM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I am for the random glyphs, but can also see some boards having set glyphs.

For me when I say random, I mean random, you don't get to see the glyph till you land on it, then you turn it over. I just like this style. Also if you have 4 glyphs in the pool and only use 2, your not sure what they are till you land on it ( and not sure what is not there also ). If you use curse, then turning it over before the game starts kinda defeats the purpose of it.

Lots of good points being thrown out IMO.

I was planning for my next tourney, that I would have the people in the play-offs roll a 20 and the highest roll then rolls a numbered dice to see what board they use ( if 4 boards then a 4 sided, if 6 then a 6 ) - jut an idea I had to make it more random for next time.

If your using random glyphs then you build your army more around the boards then around the glyphs, since you can't count on a set glyph or a glyph in a certain spot ( I need MBS, for the move 8 to get to this glyph first, or something like that )

Heroscape - The Game I Have Waited My Whole Life For!
GenCon - a must for any true Scaper!
Old November 2nd, 2006, 10:44 AM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
That is why R˙chean is pushing for glyph PLACEMENT over which glyphs to use. The most important thing is having glyph placement be even. If an organizer wants static glyphs to ease in setup, then at least he knows exactly where they go.
Thanks GB for clarifying my point more clearly.

Yes, IMO, identifying and/or verifying the placement hex for the glyphs are more important than the glyphs themselves. I feel it is about providing a service to the event coordinator to have the maps reviewed and tourney play recommendations made. Maybe that is beyond the scope but I do feel it is important to take into account the varying styles and numbers of glyphs that can or might be used for a any map we want to recommend. We cant very well say yes this map is worthy but we only recommend it without glyphs or just one glyph or only with a healer on it. We need to be able to recommend a map with the expectation that it is flexible for a number of different styles of tourney play.

On Forsaken Waters for example, if only one glyph was to be used, the hex where the glyph of Astrid resides is the most optimal single glyph placement spot.

I feel like this issue will be ongoing. We need to either broaden our scope to concern ourselves with these things or we need to back off it and say that we will only review and test a map in its presented form. If the map designer has the glyphs in a jacked up spot but the map otherwise would be balanced, maybe we just have to say nope the glyphs/glyph placement jacked up an otherwise good map, so it is not worthy.

BTW, Cornpuff makes a great point about glyphs favoring squads but glyphs are a reality of Heroscape and most tournaments. We need to honor that game mechanic and provide an all encompassing service when recommending maps.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old November 2nd, 2006, 10:56 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I'm totally confused by this thread. I thought it was about map designing but it seems as if it keeps going off track into the realm of event hosting. I think that if this project is going to be of ANY value the focus needs to stay on good map design as a resource for event coordinators. Build good maps and let the event hosts decide how best to use them.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old November 2nd, 2006, 11:33 AM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I alsways place glyphs in at least a semi vulnerable spot, but more often than not, they are in the most vulnerable spots on the map.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 12:14 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormi_Boced
I alsways place glyphs in at least a semi vulnerable spot, but more often than not, they are in the most vulnerable spots on the map.
Exactly!! I do the same.

~IamBatman

~Clancampbell
Old November 2nd, 2006, 01:49 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Quote:
Exactly!! I do the same.
Well except for at Gen Con At least on Soulrazor they were in a very defendable position, and on WSR they were on height at least.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 02:05 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Exactly!! I do the same.
Well except for at Gen Con At least on Soulrazor they were in a very defendable position, and on WSR they were on height at least.
I was refering to maps I have personally designed, not official maps

~IamBatman

~Clancampbell
Old November 2nd, 2006, 03:20 PM
BoV Judge Emeritus

UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
I'm totally confused by this thread. I thought it was about map designing but it seems as if it keeps going off track into the realm of event hosting. I think that if this project is going to be of ANY value the focus needs to stay on good map design as a resource for event coordinators. Build good maps and let the event hosts decide how best to use them.
To move forward out of this bog, I recommend that glyph placement on a map be just that, glyph placement. Bottom line, it should do nothing more than identify where the map maker wants the glyphs to go on the map. If he/she wants to "hard code" particular glyphs, more power to him/her. If they would rather mark them with the "?" glyph marker, then so be it.

When the map is used later within a tournament setting, it will be up to the tournament director to decide what glyphs will or wil not be used.

UPC's Heroscape Strategy Blog (and whatever else the Muse sends my way...)

Old November 2nd, 2006, 06:58 PM

bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by UranusPChicago
Quote:
To move forward out of this bog, I recommend that glyph placement on a map be just that, glyph placement. Bottom line, it should do nothing more than identify where the map maker wants the glyphs to go on the map. If he/she wants to "hard code" particular glyphs, more power to him/her. If they would rather mark them with the "?" glyph marker, then so be it.

When the map is used later within a tournament setting, it will be up to the tournament director to decide what glyphs will or wil not be used.
This is how I would use virtually any map. When you have hard coded glyphs, it is more of a scenario than a map.

Mark suggested glyph locations on the map with the ? symbol, and leave it at that.

As for the 24 hex requirement, I like it, sort of, but perhaps allow a range of 18-24. This would allow people to select maps that they want to use that have the correct number of starting zones for their needs, but not eliminate an otherwise very good map.

I can't believe I hadn't read this thread sooner.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 10:30 PM
BoV Judge Emeritus

UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjee
As for the 24 hex requirement, I like it, sort of, but perhaps allow a range of 18-24. This would allow people to select maps that they want to use that have the correct number of starting zones for their needs, but not eliminate an otherwise very good map.
Again, the whole purpose of setting a 24 hex starting zone standard at this point is to ease the map selection process for tournament managers. Any 24 hex starting zone can handle smaller zones, however, smaller starting zones ( 18 ) maps will not be used in tournaments that require larger starting zones.

We are trying to generalize at first, then specialize later. A 24 hex starting zone should be able to handle anything from a 400-700 point army. I see a trend for army sizes to start growing larger rather than shrinking. If, at a later date, there starts to be a push for "micro" maps (200-400) then we can adjust accordingly and begin to specialize the tournament maps.

Yes, some very good maps will be overlooked because they cannot be modified to have 24 hex starting zones, but I don't see why that is a problem. We are going to vote in very good maps with 24 hex starting zones. Does that lessen the value of the less than 24 starting zone maps?

We are establishing a service to the community, albeit very slowly currently , and we need to keep it simple at first. If the community does deem this map selection process as a very valuable tool and begins to demand specialization then of course we will ablige.

Old November 3rd, 2006, 10:33 PM

But, a TD could always add acouple hexes to the back of an 18 to make it a 20 like at the TTO. Or, they could add a couple more to the 20 to get it up to 22 or 23 or 24 or 40. Whatever they want.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 10:39 PM
BoV Judge Emeritus

Quote:
Well when you go out of town to host a tournament like at Gencon, there are limitations to what can be accomplished. The one master set per map is a necessary limitation and should be adhered to strictly.
I agree.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios