Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con
Gen Con Anything and everything that has to do with Gencon!

Notices

Old August 21st, 2008, 08:23 PM

Harlax knows what's in an order marker Harlax knows what's in an order marker Harlax knows what's in an order marker
Future event ideas

This years events were great. Fun and creative.

Here are some events I have seen in other games that might be food for thought for next year.

Build Your Worst Army. Make it as non functional as possible. Your opponent plays with your worst army. You play with his. (Anyone playing Taelord has to start the game by shouting "I'm not overcosted!)

A Juniors Championship Tournament. I've seen various cut off ages in various events. We had a lot of young players this year and while some of them put the hammer down on their elders, it would be fun to give them a chance to shine on their own.

I'm sure others will have ideas as well.

Lord of the Rings TMG Events -Gen Con 13
The North American Championship tournament- Saturday at 4 PM. NMN1342543
Battles of Middle Earth - Saturday at 10 AM. NMN1344930
Old August 21st, 2008, 09:04 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Re: Future event ideas

I'd like to see a Team Tourney at GenCon. Points would need to be lower and/or time longer than the other events, but I think it'd be a lot of fun. Heat of Battle was my favorite of the variants. I think it should be there every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old August 21st, 2008, 09:36 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

What if you switched Heat of Battle around and placed your opponent's figures? Poor sportsmanship would ruin that quickly though. (Especially on a lava map)
Old August 21st, 2008, 09:56 PM

Harlax knows what's in an order marker Harlax knows what's in an order marker Harlax knows what's in an order marker

But "heat of battle" would certainly describe the event!

Old August 21st, 2008, 10:55 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Great idea for a thread, I've been waiting to share my ideas. . +rep!

Here are some of my ideas:

I think the main Heroscape event (GenCon indy 520pt.) was the biggest event and filled up quickly. I think the reason is not only because it's the main, biggest Heroscape event, but because it was open to all players and no special rules. I would like to see multiple big tournaments that are open to all players and just have the standard rules. And not just 500pt., one could be 400pt. for people who like a bit quicker competative play, and a 600pt. one so more expensive figures can shine like Kato and Taelord. So, how about this:

Thurs: GenCon Indy 400pt. Championship
Fri: GenCon Indy 500pt. Main Championship
Sat: GenCon Indy 500pt. Main Championship (continued; like top 16)
Sun: GenCon Indy 600pt. Championship

Then, the other problem I saw this year was that many of the events intersected with other events time wise. And I can understand if they were just to have alot of different events, but I think if they get rid of this problem the event runners will have an easier time. So I'd have like 3 events each day, 1 championship each day, and then 2 other special events each day. Even though this would intersect times, I think it could easily be recognized by people that could make the mistake of choosing 2 events that are the same times - putting a win-a-wave in as another option instead of a championship. This is also easier on the runners since win-a-waves aren't as big as other tournaments. And then each day would have 2 other smaller (than a championship) event, like I said before. So in conclusion I'd have it like this:

Thurs.:
-GenCon Indy 400pt. Championship; starts at Aam
-2 Win-A-Waves; starts at Aam
-Special Tournament; starts at Bpm
-Special Tournament; starts at Cpm

Fri.:
-GenCon Indy 500pt. Main Championship; starts at Aam

Sat.:
-GenCon Indy 500pt. Main Championship (continued); starts at Aam

Sun.:
-GenCon Indy 600pt. Championship; starts at Aam

This way there is less mix up, it's easier on the event runners, it's more organized, and still lots of options (but with less mix up ).

If they did it like that then I'm completely satisfied, and I like giving them the choice to create events. But if I were to create those special events too, I'd go with:

Thurs.:
-GenCon Indy 400pt. Championship; starts at Aam
-General Wars Tournament; starts at Bpm
-250pt. Army Challenge Tournament; starts at Cpm

Fri.:
-GenCon Indy 500pt. Main Championship; starts at Aam
-Slugfest Tournament; starts at Bpm
-8 (could be lower maybe) to 17 Years Old Tournament (Just because I qualify , and just like you said Harlax); starts at Cpm

Sat.:
-GenCon Indy 500pt. Main Championship (continued); starts at Aam
-Heat Of Battle; starts at Bpm
-Set Limited Tournament (can only use figures out of 1 set/expansion/wave/master set of your choice); starts at Cpm

Sun.:
-GenCon Indy 600pt. Championship; starts at Aam
-Mind Shackle; starts at Bpm
-Special Tournament (I can't think of anymore so); starts at Cpm

Last edited by Cleon; August 21st, 2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 08:55 AM

Another fun event I have seen in other games is an Ironman Tournament. Single elimination. Only figures which live at the end of a game move on to the next round of play. Best done with an eight player limit. That keeps it to four rounds. Maybe a Damnation Alley variant?

Old August 22nd, 2008, 09:25 AM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

A big event on Sunday will not work because the hall closes early and alot of people need to get out of there.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 09:32 AM
I'm my own grandpa

Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby!

Since next year makes it 5 years(?), how about a CVN Judged costume contest. Anyone can come as a common, but Uniques are signed up for?
Would make a heck of a photo op.

Ok, so its not a tourney.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 01:56 PM

BloodyBaroness rolls all skulls baby! BloodyBaroness rolls all skulls baby! BloodyBaroness rolls all skulls baby! BloodyBaroness rolls all skulls baby!

The idea of a junior tourney is nice, for a long time Magic had the Junior Super Series for players under 18 and it was a great sucess.
Maybe have the Juniors champ and main champ play each other in the end to see a grand champ crowned. Now the younger players did do a fair job of whooping up on the elders but it would be nice to let them shine on their own.

10,000 bees in a trench coat.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 03:07 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Yeah, an event for younger players would be cool too, but most kids can't come on their own.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 03:23 PM

There were a fair number of younger folk at Gen Con.

In any case, this is a concept that could easily extend to National Heroscape Day or other local events.

Younger players won't get discouraged. Older players will avoid the embarrasment of losing to an 8 year old.

Old August 26th, 2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyBaroness View Post
Maybe have the Juniors champ and main champ play each other in the end to see a grand champ crowned.
Or give the Juniors champ one of the 16 slots in the finals.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con