Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old February 13th, 2008, 04:30 PM

HS ~ KNT is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Where abouts in Canada are you?

I love the look of this, this might be what finally pushes me to flocking my tiles, actually. I never really liked Ghrishnakh's tiles (no offense, Grish!), just because they retained the lines.

As soon as I can work out your website, I'll read over the rules, TreasureQuest sounds interesting...

~Neko, recognising that Rogue...

~Neko: Leaving, sadly. I hope to see you all around. =^-^=

Making Custom Fixes for Heroscape Once more, I will say my camera hates me.
Old February 13th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth
kijid

First of all great stuff man. Second of all don't take any of my comments below in a bad way. It's nice to seriously discuss this stuff with someone who has been doing such a nice job on their tiles, especially using a completely different technique than mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kijid
I tried a few rock tiles using the ballast as well and yes it does have the problem with stacking. I don't really have a solution because, to be honest I do not really like the end result. I find it looks too "uniform", like a man-made gravel walkway or something...
To be honest I've never had a stacking problem with my rock tiles, you just have to be careful gluing down the rocks. I hear you about the uniform look to the tiles. I had tried to add in smaller rocks to the tiles to break up the uniform look but I found that interfered with the ability for the figures to stand flat on the tile. It seems this doesn't matter to you since you are not playing Heroscape on your tiles. I like to look at my rock tiles as fields of loose gravel, like those found on high mountain slopes. The main interest is the larger rock hexes that I place around. That goes a long way to break up the uniform look and still allow the tiles to be played on.

Quote:
While I appreciate your desire to stay true to the "delineated" look, I am trying to do the opposite and focusing more on different themed environments: Forest, Jungle, Desert, Artic etc. (Quesiton: Did I miss something in the Heroscape rulebook? Is there any difference in play mechanics between the grass, rock and sand?)
At the moment there is no difference between the tiles. Some scenarios add in rules for the various tiles but those are rare. Perhaps this will change now that WotC is in charge. I just tried to stay true to the look and anticipate future rules, that's all. However, I play TFT Melee/Wizards on my tiles and it's very important to know what a hex represents. That's why I stayed away from the free form look you are trying to accomplish.

Quote:
As for creating Rocky tiles, I have tried using a textured spray paint, but I wasn't too crazy about the result (although there is hope!), tried mixing sands and different sized ballast- same problems with stacking etc., so I just went with Bark chips for large boulders and some medium sized ballast for "detail" pieces.
I never liked textured paint either, on any customizing piece. I went through a lot of different ideas (and money) trying to come up with a way to do those rock tiles and my solution was the best one for me. Besides, I use the same technique on my lava tiles with great success. Placed together I think my rock and lava tiles look very well together. (And there are specific Heroscape rules for lava tiles.)

Quote:
I have started work on Desert terrain and have used fine sand between hexes with no stacking problems...although now I have coverage issues...
Personally I've always stayed away from sand. It's like playing on sand paper. I think you can get the same look with flock and it's easier on the hands.

Quote:
I originally wanted to use the Testor Dull Coat, as per your advice, but like you said- hard to find! So, I learned from a local Model Train shop about the hairspray method. I have to say- it works VERY well. I dropped a few pieces onto a tiled floor from about 5 feet and not a single speck of flock came off! I was VERY impressed! The downside is that my forest smells like a "Europeon Hair Salon"...
I might experiment with the hairspray method but probably not. I am able to get Testors Dull Coat in my area and I don't want my tiles to look different. Still, the hairspray method is a good solution.

I'm curous, does it not matter to you that your scenery (such as your walls) does not fill the hexes exactly? Heroscape goes out of it's way to make sure you know what is in a hex. Look at the castle bases for example. Using scenery not specifically designed for Heroscape introduces "half hexes". Can a figure stand there or not kind of problems. I'm always trying to make sure that any wall, treasure chest, tree, etc fills the hex completely so there is no second guessing what's in a hex and the rules about that hex (movement, defense, etc.) Again maybe not so critical in your game but it is in Heroscape and TFT.

Keep going with what your doing. I always enjoy seeing how other people customize their sets. Obviously there is no right or wrong way to do any of this. What we can do is help others by laying the ground work (pun intended) as to what not to do.

(PS -- You need to seriously shrink your pictures, they make it hard to read the thread. )
Old February 13th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS ~ KNT
I never really liked Ghrishnakh's tiles (no offense, Grish!), just because they retained the lines.
I'll remove you from my fan club then.
Old February 13th, 2008, 08:41 PM

HS ~ KNT is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Aww... But... does this mean I don't get cookies anymore?

I like all your other work Grishnakh, that is the only part I've always found strange...

~Neko: Leaving, sadly. I hope to see you all around. =^-^=

Making Custom Fixes for Heroscape Once more, I will say my camera hates me.
Old February 19th, 2008, 12:57 AM

Bummer has disabled reputation
I have some hirst block molds and have wanted to make ruins like that also, but I fuound it hard to make walls that did not make half hex spaces. Grish brought up the fact of special house rules governing them and, along with him, I was wondering what kind of rules you use. I have made a few placeable objectes but as for walls I've held back becuase of any offcial rules. Your terraain is incredible by the way. FANTASTIC WORK!
Old February 25th, 2008, 11:43 PM

fred the bug has disabled reputation
I was just curious as to how much flock you used per master set. Sorry if this is considered bringing up an older thread. (Though I think it isn't)

I'm James Murphy in the
Volcanic Island-Hangout
And the Arbiter (Halo 3) in the prismatic manor
Old February 26th, 2008, 12:10 AM

STAROCEAN980 knows what's in an order marker STAROCEAN980 knows what's in an order marker
That board is sexy! I especially love the ruins!

My maps:

R.I.P. Ugly-Caco
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:58 AM

kijid has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo
Awesome stuff! Can you tell me what you use on your tree bark to make them look like rock?
Ask and you shall receive... although with a little delay

http://uk.games-workshop.com/warhamm...n-obstacles/9/

Actucally that site has some great terrain ideas that could easily be implemented into Heroscape terrain...

Steve
aka: BLAST

Xtreme Geek
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS ~ KNT
Where abouts in Canada are you?

I love the look of this, this might be what finally pushes me to flocking my tiles, actually. I never really liked Ghrishnakh's tiles (no offense, Grish!), just because they retained the lines.

As soon as I can work out your website, I'll read over the rules, TreasureQuest sounds interesting...

~Neko, recognising that Rogue...
I'm in Toronto- right downtown in the Distillery District.
I'm actually working on Treasure Quest Version 5 (which will be a massive overhaul/ update) and a new spin-off called TQ: Dragon Slayer, which will be a much faster, simpler gaming experience...

Steve

Xtreme Geek
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer
I have some hirst block molds and have wanted to make ruins like that also, but I fuound it hard to make walls that did not make half hex spaces. Grish brought up the fact of special house rules governing them and, along with him, I was wondering what kind of rules you use. I have made a few placeable objectes but as for walls I've held back becuase of any offcial rules. Your terraain is incredible by the way. FANTASTIC WORK!
Thanks for the compliments!
I have never really had a problem with the "half hex spaces" covered by terrain. The people I play with are not "sticklers" when it comes to things like that. We play to have fun, not to win...

If you wanted to define what was playable and what was "off limits" you could decide before a game. In the case of Heroscape, just have both players agree to what hexs can not be played on BEFORE they choose starting areas and BEFORE the game begins. It shouldn't be much of an issue...remember it's just a game!

Steve

Xtreme Geek
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred the bug
I was just curious as to how much flock you used per master set. Sorry if this is considered bringing up an older thread. (Though I think it isn't)
That's hard to answer as I have bought many types/ colours of flock, static grass, ballast etc. Plus they sell them in containers larger than what you would need for just 1 set.

If you wanted to do something similiar, buy a container/ bag of the Green Flock and 1 of the Earth/ dirt. (I give the exact model numbers earlier in this thread (can't remember the #'s)) That should cost you around $20, and you could do multiple sets with that (2-4). Maybe split the cost with a friend?

Steve

Xtreme Geek
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAROCEAN980
That board is sexy! I especially love the ruins!
Thanks!
The ruins are from a company called Grendel. They make all types of amazing terrain. I'm waiting for some bigger ruins to arrive from an eBay purchase...can't wait to paint them up!

Steve

Xtreme Geek

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles