Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Notices

Old July 12th, 2008, 07:10 PM

Troubleman23 has disabled reputation
Engagement Strike Abilities

Now I just thought of this because in the past this has happened but I would just let it slide, But Arkmer's Engagement Strike 13 says as soon as a figure becomes adjacent to him you roll the d20 to see if you inflict a wound. There are many abilities like this out there and whenever some of my friends move their figs. adjacent to one of mine with that sort of ability they say "Oh can I redo my turn then?" I usually let it slide but it doesn't seem fair they moved into a trap and shouldn't be able to weasel their way around it. So what would the official ruling be of this?

If you are interested in winning free stuff, please PM me, no joke, you know you want to!
Old July 12th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Bill Nigh the Psions Guy

Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Engagement Strike Abilities

At my games we often will let this sot of thing slide too. We just remind the player that moving their figure in such a way will result in engagement strike or cyberclaw or passing swipes or what have you.

OFFICIALLY I think one you move a figure then thats that, it's been moved... but I never get so anal about things like that on game nights in my freeekin' basement!

Looking for quality maps for 3+ players? Think your latest map-masterpiece deserves a place of honor? Join in the discussion of The War-zones of Valhalla

It doesn't get any more classic than this: The C3V project
Old July 12th, 2008, 07:20 PM

acdveins Woo who?

I would say as soon as someone declares an attack they lose the chance to reposition their figure. I don't know what the official ruling on this would be, but that is the way I would play it. My group plays very loosely though. If you forget to move a hero before the bonded squad, you move him later, you can reposition as long as you haven't attacked, etc.
And don't feel too bad about losing that free swipe from engagemet strike. It works more like a deterent for engaging the Nakitas/Arkmer than a free attack.

...I say kill her off.
Yeah, but you say plenty of things, and how's that work? You're a bicycle!
Old July 12th, 2008, 07:32 PM

Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby!

I agree with acdveins. You can't move a figure after you declare you are going to attack.

It's not whether you win or lose. It's having the 4th Massachusetts Line that counts!
I see nothing, I hear nothing, and I know NOTHING!--Sgt. Shultz, Hogan's Heroes
My custom terrain
Old July 12th, 2008, 07:48 PM

Snoop Greyjoy has disabled reputation

Id let a new player off with a warning, but if it was a serious game with someone who knows better, its their tough luck.

I always use the measure of "my stones", that is, would I have the stones to look someone in the eyes and ask for leniency in that situation. This doesnt past the stones test. Id feel as if I should have known better. The stones say "tough luck" no do-over.
Even if I were feeling generous, I would only allow them to move the offending figure back one space, not redo the whole turn.
Just my nickels worth...

Live in the Ohio Valley? Consider Joining OVAH
Snoop dont sow.
Old July 12th, 2008, 07:52 PM

Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness

In a casual game, I'd ask my opponent if they're sure about that move, tell them I'm rolling for engagement strike, and if there's no objection, I roll. Same with passing swipes. We have an unofficial rule, however, that once dice are rolled, no takesies-backsies.

You could always use the "once your hand is off it the figure stays there" rule.

If the person is new to 'Scape, don't think twice. Let them take it back.
Old July 12th, 2008, 08:03 PM

acdveins Woo who?

I love the "My Stones" rule. They need to make that official.

With new players, let them do whatever they want as long as they say "I want to play again" then you have won the largest victory.

...I say kill her off.
Yeah, but you say plenty of things, and how's that work? You're a bicycle!
Old July 12th, 2008, 09:39 PM

Dualahorn knows what's in an order marker Dualahorn knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
You could always use the "once your hand is off it the figure stays there" rule.
I dont like that rule because you need to take your hand off the figure to see if your character can see the other characters hit zone.

I think that your move is over when you roll the first attack.
Old July 12th, 2008, 09:41 PM

Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualahorn View Post
Quote:
I dont like that rule because you need to take your hand off the figure to see if your character can see the other characters hit zone.

I agree.
Old July 12th, 2008, 10:11 PM

Snoop Greyjoy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualahorn View Post
Quote:

yes, Ive always called it when as when you DECLARE you first attack, but more or less the same idea...
I cant remember just now which figure's special ability is hinged upon that subtle difference, but I do recall making a mental note to mark the end of the opponent's movement phase.

Live in the Ohio Valley? Consider Joining OVAH
Snoop dont sow.
Old July 12th, 2008, 11:14 PM

Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
yes, Ive always called it when as when you DECLARE you first attack, but more or less the same idea...
I cant remember just now which figure's special ability is hinged upon that subtle difference, but I do recall making a mental note to mark the end of the opponent's movement phase.
The Nakita Agents smoke powder activates when your opponent declares an attack against them but before they roll attack dice.
Old July 13th, 2008, 12:08 AM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I don't really believe in "traps" in Heroscape. There is of course, the trap glyph, but that runs on different concepts. Either someone knows the rules, knows the abilities of the character, and knowingly incurs an Engagement Strike, or they're ignorant of the ability and are making an uninformed move. I don't believe a player should make a "mistake" simply because they don't know the rules.

When I engage a Nakita or Arkmer, I announce it to my opponent: "I'm moving next to your Nakita, roll the strike." When an opponent begins to move adjacent to my figures, if they don't make a similar announcement, I explain the rule to them before they move and give them the option to take it back.

This isn't YuGiOh. There are no "face down" cards to keep your opponent unaware of what options are available to you. All of your abilities are clearly displayed on the table in the form of your figures. Unfamiliarity with the rules isn't a skill, its just a fluke that will only happen once.

I really just have no interest in winning on technicalities. Beating someone at the top of their game is completely different from taking advantage of the rules. Beating someone at their best is a victory, anything else is just a win.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's