Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games
Other Games Board, Card, Video, etc.

Old February 3rd, 2011, 02:21 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Summoner Wars by Plaid Hat Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
It has TONS of replay-ability. I've got quite a few games under my belt, and so far I've never played a game that was so balanced. The only cards I can even come close to calling overpowered were Thorkur, who was already errata'ed, and GD Defenders, though there are quite a few ways to deal with them.
I don't get it. I think the GDs are the worst faction. I must not play them right.
I don't play them right either - they're the only faction I've ever lost with, and I've never won a game with them (even with broken Thorkur). From what I've read and what my theory tells me, being able to prevent other cards from moving is really powerful, especially since they summon for 1 with 2 life.

The more people play with multi-life commons and champs though, the less effective they are.
Yeah, you're crazy. The GD are the best faction. They have some of the best champions in the game. Gror is THE best champion in the game. Summon him on a forward wall with heroic feat and he'll take out 3 units and put a ton of wounds on opposing walls. Spearman are hard hitting surprises and defenders are just solid. They can handle multi life stuff just fine IMO.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 02:39 PM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

One of the things that make the Guild Dwarves so strong, in my opinion, is that they have really strong event cards. I mean, they have both Magic Drain and Reinforcements, as well as Besiege the Walls. Played right, those cards can be downright deadly, especially Besiege the Walls.

I can't think of any other faction that has both Magic Drain and Reinforcements (off the top of my head). And nevermind the fact the dwarves have solid commons and solid champions.

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-
Old February 3rd, 2011, 02:49 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rym View Post
One of the things that make the Guild Dwarves so strong, in my opinion, is that they have really strong event cards. I mean, they have both Magic Drain and Reinforcements, as well as Besiege the Walls. Played right, those cards can be downright deadly, especially Besiege the Walls.

I can't think of any other faction that has both Magic Drain and Reinforcements (off the top of my head). And nevermind the fact the dwarves have solid commons and solid champions.
You didn't even mention Heroic Feat, which is completely sickening especially when Gror uses it.

No other faction has both of those events - the Dwarves stand alone there. The Fallen Kingdom has Magic Drain, Forced Summon and Greater Raise though, which is close but not quite as powerful I think.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Last edited by killercactus; February 3rd, 2011 at 02:51 PM. Reason: And yes - I agree 100% with what you said.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 03:03 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

I've played about 250 games... since I started counting. It has replayability.

GD are solid. I don't know about THE BEST, but definitely good and with few* bad match-ups. They also don't really have any really easy one either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Last edited by Jexik; February 3rd, 2011 at 03:17 PM. Reason: *I'm actually not sure if they have any.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 03:07 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I think the GD hate (i've been guilty of it myself) comes from how boring their Summoner is, plus general dislike for Engineers and mostly generic (though very useful) Events.

They can indeed be strong but best? I wouldn't go that far.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old February 3rd, 2011, 03:10 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

My last couple games have been with the GDs, I've enjoyed them just fine.

-insert signature here-
Old February 3rd, 2011, 03:11 PM
Bill Nigh the Psions Guy

Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

The thing I like most about the game so far is that the truly BEST faction is the one you like to play the most. While they all have their good and bad match ups the game is so supremely balanced that it's just absurd to try and pick a "best" based on anything but personal preference.

Looking for quality maps for 3+ players? Think your latest map-masterpiece deserves a place of honor? Join in the discussion of The War-zones of Valhalla

It doesn't get any more classic than this: The C3V project
Old February 3rd, 2011, 03:18 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

If I had to pick a BEST right now, I'd say it was a toss-up between Elves and Dwarves. However, that's probably because (like Dredd said), Elves are the faction I feel most comfortable playing, and Dwarves because the Defender and Gror are the closest things to "broken" or "A+ figures" that I think the game has at this point. However, I think it's perfectly possible to defeat either of those factions with any other faction on any given day in Itharia (especially Tundra Orcs, who I think are the most versatile right now).

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Last edited by killercactus; February 3rd, 2011 at 03:19 PM. Reason: "perfectly possible" means easier than beating Q9/Raelin/Rats with something other that Heavy Gruts
Old February 3rd, 2011, 05:59 PM

Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd Stev View Post
The thing I like most about the game so far is that the truly BEST faction is the one you like to play the most. While they all have their good and bad match ups the game is so supremely balanced that it's just absurd to try and pick a "best" based on anything but personal preference.
Amen. I've beaten every single faction except Phoenix Elves with a zombie-heavy Fallen Kingdom deck.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 06:04 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Since I've started seriously getting into SW a couple months ago I've been primarily playing GD. I can see why Defenders are the best and it's hard not to play the full 10 of them. I haven't really gone the route of wall destruction, but I'd like to try it out.

Yeah the events are great. It's hard to sac any of them for me, even A Hero Is Born (even though it's viewed as not the best by some, I can never seem to draw a champion until the 4th turn so I always lean towards playing it!).
Old February 3rd, 2011, 06:22 PM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Yeah, A Hero Is Born is a great card in the beginning, usually the first 2 rounds or so. It allows you to put a champion in your hand and build your magic, accordingly. I will usually toss it though, if, when I draw A Hero Is Born, I already have a champion in my hand. Seems like overkill at that point, in my opinion, to hold onto or use that card.

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-
Old February 3rd, 2011, 07:53 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

The only time I really used AHiB was back when Thorkur was broken. I generally prefer to just build it as magic to help me summon whichever Champion I happen to draw.

There are a couple powers that might make you want to use it, but it's kind of rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Last edited by Jexik; February 3rd, 2011 at 07:53 PM. Reason: if the CG had it, I'd probably grab Mook all the time though.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games