Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Notices

Old September 10th, 2006, 04:37 PM
has been BANNED

reapersaurus is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I've lost track, or missed you stating that - you got $$$ for running the Gencon events?
Old September 10th, 2006, 05:30 PM

HouseMouseGames wears ripped pants of awesomeness HouseMouseGames wears ripped pants of awesomeness HouseMouseGames wears ripped pants of awesomeness HouseMouseGames wears ripped pants of awesomeness HouseMouseGames wears ripped pants of awesomeness HouseMouseGames wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by reapersaurus
GB & Sandra - there are some points to think about:

* Maybe I remembered it wrong, but I thought $50 had been mentioned as the approximate cost of shipping. Maybe that was one-way?

Shipping is amazingly expensive. Hahnarama took the 7 boxes to UPS after the tournament and I just got the bill. $121 to return them to California. So roundtrip was around $240. You can check the shipping rates to your destination. Go to UPS.com. Each box of 3 games is 18 lbs. I'm shipping from zip code 92532.

Borrowing these games from me is NOT a recommended solution because shipping is so expensive! It's just another option to consider. But if you can bring your own sets, by all means, that's what you want to do. $240 can buy a lot of prizes. It's a shame to waste the money on shipping if you've got alternatives. For Gencon, we had no alternatives, so we did what we had to do.
Old September 10th, 2006, 05:38 PM

HouseMouseGames wears ripped pants of awesomeness HouseMouseGames wears ripped pants of awesomeness HouseMouseGames wears ripped pants of awesomeness HouseMouseGames wears ripped pants of awesomeness HouseMouseGames wears ripped pants of awesomeness HouseMouseGames wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
I've lost track, or missed you stating that - you got $$$ for running the Gencon events?
There seems to be a misconception here, so let's try to clarify it.

Gencon charges a fee for each hour of game play. Our entry fee was generally higher (but not always) than the fee charged by Gencon. At the end of the four days, Gencon wrote a check to Grungebob for the difference between the total we owed for Gencon fees and the total collected from our entry fees. Grungebob applied the money to cover expenses he incurred in organizing the event.

There was no "profit" and Grungebob didn't get "paid" to run the events. We tried to price the events so that Grungebob would not be "out of pocket" when all his bills were paid.
Old September 10th, 2006, 05:49 PM
This week: Joah 2 Nwojedi 0

Joah has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMouseGames
Quote:

* Maybe I remembered it wrong, but I thought $50 had been mentioned as the approximate cost of shipping. Maybe that was one-way?

Shipping is amazingly expensive. Hahnarama took the 7 boxes to UPS after the tournament and I just got the bill. $121 to return them to California. So roundtrip was around $240. You can check the shipping rates to your destination. Go to UPS.com. Each box of 3 games is 18 lbs. I'm shipping from zip code 92532.

Borrowing these games from me is NOT a recommended solution because shipping is so expensive! It's just another option to consider. But if you can bring your own sets, by all means, that's what you want to do. $240 can buy a lot of prizes. It's a shame to waste the money on shipping if you've got alternatives. For Gencon, we had no alternatives, so we did what we had to do.
Are you shipping Next Day Air?

And if so why?
I ship things all over the world, everyday.
There are extra charges being thrown in there I think.
I'd look into that.
Old September 10th, 2006, 06:01 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Quote:
There seems to be a misconception here, so let's try to clarify it.

Gencon charges a fee for each hour of game play. Our entry fee was generally higher (but not always) than the fee charged by Gencon. At the end of the four days, Gencon wrote a check to Grungebob for the difference between the total we owed for Gencon fees and the total collected from our entry fees. Grungebob applied the money to cover expenses he incurred in organizing the event.

There was no "profit" and Grungebob didn't get "paid" to run the events. We tried to price the events so that Grungebob would not be "out of pocket" when all his bills were paid.
And as a participant there...watching GB day after day...he worked it like a JOB...the man barely got to see or do anything else the entire time...

Plus he had to put up with my high maintenance a$$ in every single tourney

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old September 10th, 2006, 06:05 PM

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
Quote:
I'm kinda shocked that Gencon attendees were forced to pay extra money out of their own pocket, and it ended up being given to GENCON, who already got their money in the form of the Gencon entrance fee?
gaming hall was seperate from exhibitor hall. It was free to get into the gaming hall. You could just show up just for the gaming without having to pay for a Gencon badge.

Old September 10th, 2006, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joah
Quote:
Quote:

Are you shipping Next Day Air?

And if so why?
I ship things all over the world, everyday.
There are extra charges being thrown in there I think.
I'd look into that.

We're talking UPS Ground. Go to the UPS site and price the boxes. That's 7 boxes x 18 lbs. = 126 lbs. If I could have found a cheaper solution, I would have used it.
Old September 10th, 2006, 08:09 PM
ultradoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
In Texas we talked about renting a bus and driving up to Gencon and therfor being able to bring our own supplies. A big shipping bill like $240 ccould go a long way toward rental and gas.
Bus could be great! I'd have a way to Gencon thats afordable, even if I payed something towards gas, be a zillon times cheeper then flying, could even maybe hire a pro driver? (?) not sure, maybe not, could take turns driving, whoever drives maybe take a class for truck driving type deal? Not sure how that would work.

Everyone could bring there heroscape stuff and have a ton of stuff, bring food etc, make things very accecable to those who would otherwise be unable to do it.
Old September 19th, 2006, 09:08 PM

Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I’ve found it helpful to use a dry marker to identify the starting zones. Glyph, tree, and ruins locations. It will wipe/wash off. With several maps it really helps with set up time and during the course of the event trees & ruins do get knocked over and this is an easy way to make sure they get put back on the correct hex.

I bring in the maps pre-made on plywood sheets so all I have to do is slide them onto the tables and look for the dry marker lines as where to put the ruins and trees… very quick and easy.

PLEASE NOTE: I found out thru experience that if you leave the dry marker on the hexes for over a month you may need more elbow grease to rub these marks off... I've also went to the extent of using 409 or other type cleaners to help clean off the hexes. Please be aware - and use at your own discretion.

Tree Town Open

Austi-Con / Austin MN
Saturday - October , 2023
Old September 19th, 2006, 09:20 PM

cool tip, codeman!

Old September 22nd, 2006, 06:59 AM

Rhydderch has disabled reputation
Cool idea Reaper. This would probably make for a good Word/PDF document or Codex submission once it is completed *hint hint*

“Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

Terry Pratchett, Discworld
Old October 21st, 2006, 09:10 AM

Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness
As tournaments get bigger we found it helpful to have the Tournament Director stand out.

At our last tourney we gave out Black T-shirts to everyone that participated, the shirts had special tourney graphics on the front & sponsors on the back. Our Tournament Director wore the identical printed T-Shirt other than his was Orange. This concept could also be done with a bright colored hat or some other means.

I think it is import to make your TD accessible and easy for people to reach him/her instead of guessing at the answer or having the more dominate player sway his way of thinking on a player... everyone should be on a level playing field.

Tree Town Open

Austi-Con / Austin MN
Saturday - October , 2023

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events