Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old July 15th, 2010, 02:15 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!
Re: Anti-Major Q9 association

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Having said that, I think Q9 is an excellent unit. Queglix Gun is the best attack of any unit in the game to date, he has better survivability than most heroes in the game, and don't forget that he has an 8 range, 4 die normal attack (which is why the Iron Golem doesn't just destroy him).
I think Acid breath is the "best attack" of any unit in the game, followed by wait-then-fire, but Queglix is certainly up there. (What is best depends on the targets, of course.)

Imagine Q10 with 7 defense instead of five. If they both cost 180 would you still take Quiglix over wrist rockets and machine pistol? I'm not as sure. Or give Q9 acid breath instead of quiglix...does he go up or down in points? I think up?

It's the survivability that makes him so good, and so frustrating, though. To waste dozens of attacks with few or no wounds to show for it is what gets people. Still, I've killed him with rats once, and put three wounds on him with ashigaru harquebus. But I did lose both of those games. In fact, a substantial portion of my losses are to armies with Q9 in them.
Poisonous Acid Breath is awesome if you're facing anything that isn't Large or Huge, you have 3 available targets, and you don't mind closing to 4 spaces to shoot. I'm not sure that Q9's Points go up with Acid Breath instead of Queglix.

Wait the Fire squads are great unless you're facing an opponent that makes you move, or you don't have 4 squad figures in range.

I think I would still take Queglix Gun over Q10's 2 attacks. Queglix can already do Machine Pistol at one less range (and he gets an extra attack of 1, or just does a 2-2-2-3), and I like 3 attacks of 3 at 6 range more than 2 attacks of 4 at 4 range. It's pretty close, though.

The thing about Queglix is that it doesn't care what size the target is, or even how many of them there are. Q9 can throw 9 attack dice until everything within range of him is dead every turn in whatever combination of 1's, 2's and 3's are most advantageous until he's completely dead - period. It's that, combined with his survivability that makes him a real monster.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old July 15th, 2010, 02:16 PM

BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker

My younger brother uses Q9 all the time with Raelin but all you need to defeat him is a little strategy. I recently had to face him at my friend's tournament and my elf army: Ulginesh, Chardris, Jordawhn, Arkmer, Emiroon, and ROTV Raelin were able to defeat him simply by using Mind Link to constantly bombard the Major and Raelin with fire strikes and rain of flames from Chardris and Jordawhn.
Old July 15th, 2010, 02:43 PM
GenCon General Wars & DW9K Jumpstart Champ 2008

lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Q-9 unlike Q-10 has the option of throwing 1 die at a time when facing KRAV. That is huge since KRAV are tournament regulars.

~says Lonewolf who didn't even understand Q-9's firing arc! Only played Q-9 once in a tournament, so I don't have much experience with him.
Old July 16th, 2010, 03:13 PM

General Nilfy Woo who?

Q9 was never a real problem for me. It was my brother's stupid Braxas and Iron pants killing Nilfhiem or Cyprien first turn. How they did this? Small battle field with an overhang in the middle connecting the Start Zones. Nilfhiem is definitely one of the best ways to go.
Old July 16th, 2010, 03:29 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Nilfy View Post
Q9 was never a real problem for me. It was my brother's stupid Braxas and Iron pants killing Nilfhiem or Cyprien first turn. How they did this? Small battle field with an overhang in the middle connecting the Start Zones. Nilfhiem is definitely one of the best ways to go.
Who is Iron pants? I'd like to know because Braxas can't kill Nilfheim on the first turn unless she has height advantage, rolls all skulls and Nilfheim whiffs.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old July 16th, 2010, 07:22 PM

Olloch the Glutton Woo who?

killercactus, as much as I respect other people's opinions, you seem to be being a bit of a Q-9 fanboy (or -girl as it may be although I doubt that) here. Still, I also personally agree that Q-9 is an extremely powerful figure. Possibly overpowered, but definitely good. And I say this never having actually fielded him.

Oh yeah, and who's Iron pants?

Last edited by Olloch the Glutton; July 16th, 2010 at 07:23 PM. Reason: New thoughts.
Old July 17th, 2010, 12:28 AM

Myrkridia Giant knows what's in an order marker Myrkridia Giant knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olloch the Glutton View Post
killercactus, as much as I respect other people's opinions, you seem to be being a bit of a Q-9 fanboy (or -girl as it may be although I doubt that) here. Still, I also personally agree that Q-9 is an extremely powerful figure. Possibly overpowered, but definitely good. And I say this never having actually fielded him.

Who is killercactus? WHO IS KILLERCACTUS!? Secondary power ranking creator, unit strategy reviewer of runa, deadeye dan, and Zettian Guards, ohioscape organizer, owner of the 520 and 550 competitive army threads, master custom creator, master-class theoryscaper, and (not to mention) Runa's estranged stepfather.

And you dare, (::strained whisper:: ...you dare...), call kc nothing but a lowly fanboy!? Blasphemy!

-myrk, fanboy of kc's posts

Last edited by Myrkridia Giant; July 17th, 2010 at 12:43 AM.
Old July 17th, 2010, 09:39 AM

Olloch the Glutton Woo who?

I never said he was nothing but a fanboy, I meant simply that he was acting like one. In my mind one simply has the right though to be defensive of a figure (Like I will be forever defensive of Shiori, whether she's a bad figure or not, but that's beside the point). Either way I would agree with Kc that Q-9 is a good figure, and would neither go as far to say that he must be "dethroned" so to speak, or whether he actually deserves more respect. And believe me. He doesn't need more respect. And believe me, If I were to bring up Q-10 with my friends they would not only show monumental respect for him, but quickly prove that he is, was, and to the end of his days will be made of win. But, he is also finally countered, if only slightly as it may be, by the IG. In the end I would say, I like Q-10, but I think he doesn't need the amount of respect that some would give him.
Old July 17th, 2010, 10:37 AM

Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrkridia Giant View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olloch the Glutton View Post

Who is killercactus? WHO IS KILLERCACTUS!? Secondary power ranking creator, unit strategy reviewer of runa, deadeye dan, and Zettian Guards, ohioscape organizer, owner of the 520 and 550 competitive army threads, master custom creator, master-class theoryscaper, and (not to mention) Runa's estranged stepfather.

And you dare, (::strained whisper:: ...you dare...), call kc nothing but a lowly fanboy!? Blasphemy!

-myrk, fanboy of kc's posts
Hmmm... never knew of the nickname "Iron Pants"

However... PLEASE DO NOT TURN THIS THREAD INTO A KC DISCUSSION!!!
We all know that he is amazing, and may God himself ban anyone who disagrees!
Old July 17th, 2010, 11:50 AM

Myrkridia Giant knows what's in an order marker Myrkridia Giant knows what's in an order marker

I'm playing, but if I may make one serious suggestion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olloch
I say this never having actually fielded him.
Before you start calling perfectly respectable people out, maybe you should try playing the unit they are talking about. Q9, with his high survivability, soulborg immunities, large immunities, 4-dice ranged normal attack, and 9-flexible-dice ranged special attack, IS a monster. You don't have to be a fan boy to state that.

Last edited by Myrkridia Giant; July 17th, 2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old July 17th, 2010, 12:16 PM

General Nilfy Woo who?

Iron Man of course. Two attacks of 5 or 6 on 4 defense is asking for it. Someone called him that and the name just stuck.

General Nilfy
Old July 17th, 2010, 12:19 PM

General Nilfy Woo who?

Iron man of course.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles