Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies
Movies Not Heroscape-related.

Old July 18th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Watchmen movie....link to pictures!

Sweet Jebus this movie looks great.

Old July 18th, 2008, 10:31 AM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I have to admit that trailer dispelled some of my doubts. Let's just hope they do this right and only do half in the first movie, half in 2010. Really, there's just too much story for one movie and I don't see how you can get rid of any of it.
Spoiler Alert!
Old July 20th, 2008, 08:36 PM

LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velenne View Post
I have to admit that trailer dispelled some of my doubts. Let's just hope they do this right and only do half in the first movie, half in 2010. Really, there's just too much story for one movie and I don't see how you can get rid of any of it.
Spoiler Alert!
The Ozymandias sweep would be in the middle, during the
Spoiler Alert!

However, I'd bet my last 4th Mass booster that it will be one movie and not two. I just hope they don't streamline it too much.

Last edited by LilMoochie : five minutes ago.
Reason: You think it's mindless drivel now? You should have seen it before.
LilMoochie's Maps, LilMoochie's trades
Old July 22nd, 2008, 11:13 AM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I am loving the fact that my son has been peppering me with Watchmen questions since we saw this trailer.

Old July 22nd, 2008, 11:27 AM
Master Custom Creator

Annerios knows what's in an order marker Annerios knows what's in an order marker Annerios knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwars View Post
I am loving the fact that my son has been peppering me with Watchmen questions since we saw this trailer.
I bet. For the uninitiated, that trailer has to be a bit of a puzzle as to what on Earth the movie is even about (other than the fact some superhero types are in it).
Old July 22nd, 2008, 11:33 AM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Saw the trailer before The Dark Knight - Wow. Looks incredible.

Can anyone tell me the song title? Sounds like Billy Corgan and/or the Smashing Pumpkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBladeCB View Post
Watchmen is sort of a Holy Grail to me. The jumbo-sized Absolution Edition is one of my prized possessions.
I found a dust jacket-less hardbound edition in this enormous, used bookstore situated in a dark, cold warehouse for $3.50.
It's the only version I have and that's one of my prized TPB collections.

Quote:
Watchmen though... Watchmen is THE pinnacle of sequential art. Watchmen is the first real work to fulfill the potential of what the medium can do. The panel grid; the mirror issue; the supplements in the back; the dual storylines; the meta-level on which it functions as a dark take on the industry itself. To me, the grand appeal of Watchmen is not just in its story, it's in the way that it is told. It is a work that cannot be separated from its medium, because in the end, medium dictates story... and Watchmen is a story that is told in a certain way, for a certain effect, and when it moves away from that, it is no longer the same. And I, for one, feel that the new version, while perhaps legitimate, will be inherently inferior, and I for one will not be seeing it.
The movie will never match the comic book, but I'm anxious to see how this works out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annerios View Post
Dr. Manhattan looks amazing and the fact all of that Vietnam stuff is in there boosts my confidence that this may be an interesting adaptation.
Yeah, the Vietnam panel come to the big screen was a great!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMoochie View Post
I'm not really wild about Veidt from the preview. He looks a little too "M Bison" for me.
Not exactly who I pictured either, but the performance is what matters.
This movie has some interesting casting.

Is it just me or did the Comedian look just like Robert Downey Jr in that trailer?
Agree, Veidt actor doesn't look right and I thought that was Downey Jr. too!
Old July 22nd, 2008, 12:51 PM

Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby!

Old July 22nd, 2008, 01:05 PM
Master Custom Creator

Annerios knows what's in an order marker Annerios knows what's in an order marker Annerios knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex_Enduction_Hour View Post
Can anyone tell me the song title? Sounds like Billy Corgan and/or the Smashing Pumpkins
It is. Here is the story on that song choice:

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/07/18...e-full-circle/

Quote:
Quote:
Watchmen is sort of a Holy Grail to me. The jumbo-sized Absolution Edition is one of my prized possessions.
I found a dust jacket-less hardbound edition in this enormous, used bookstore situated in a dark, cold warehouse for $3.50.
It's the only version I have and that's one of my prized TPB collections.
Wow. That is an awesome find. I had that edition, but had to sell it off years ago, along with other bits of my Watchmen collection. If you have never read the 2 Watchmen supplements for the old DC Roleplaying Game, they are worth checking out. They have all sorts of cool background material on the world and characters. I also had a pin set and a collection of the covers blown up to a large size in a limited portfolio.

That stuff was worth a lot when I sold it and I imagine it may skyrocket even more now. At least they'll probably produce another hardcover edition with new stuff added now that the film is coming out.

Last edited by Annerios; July 22nd, 2008 at 01:15 PM.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 01:15 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Quote:
It is. Here is the story on that song choice:

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/07/18...e-full-circle/
Excellent, thank you.

EDIT: just checked the song on YouTUbe. Slow remix is great.
Love it in that Watchmen trailer.

Last edited by Hex_Enduction_Hour; July 22nd, 2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 02:21 PM

dra(gon) has disabled reputation

for the batman & robin film ,was there some changes in the text?

liké "it is batman" but the trailer with night owl rembers me stron on batman+ this song. but that is watchman(night owl= batman, dr. manhatten(manhatten md.? = superman)
Old July 24th, 2008, 11:17 PM

Zelrig is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly-Caco View Post

Dr. Manhattan is the coolest superhero.
Spoiler Alert!

Zelrig is Eldgrim...
in the ROSE CAVE...
Old July 25th, 2008, 02:33 AM

DarkBladeCB is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Quote:
Watchmen though... Watchmen is THE pinnacle of sequential art. Watchmen is the first real work to fulfill the potential of what the medium can do. The panel grid; the mirror issue; the supplements in the back; the dual storylines; the meta-level on which it functions as a dark take on the industry itself. To me, the grand appeal of Watchmen is not just in its story, it's in the way that it is told. It is a work that cannot be separated from its medium, because in the end, medium dictates story... and Watchmen is a story that is told in a certain way, for a certain effect, and when it moves away from that, it is no longer the same. And I, for one, feel that the new version, while perhaps legitimate, will be inherently inferior, and I for one will not be seeing it.
The movie will never match the comic book, but I'm anxious to see how this works out.
I agree. And that's kind of why I cheered every time this movie fell through. In general, the comic book adaptations have been a failure. I don't mean the super-hero licensed films. This isn't Dark Knight or Spider-Man where they're developing an entirely new story designed specifically for the big screen, these are adaptations. Unfortunately, a lot of them have been works of Alan Moore--From Hell, LXG (which wasn't much of an adaptation), V for Vendetta--and they've all fallen flat on their faces (V in particular was really jarring for me).

Sure, sometimes the results can be surprisingly good (Fight Club? Trainspotting?), it really pains me to see Watchmen become a licensed property. To me, it's a work of art. And it frustrates me to see it become a videogame and action figures. The trailer, too, with its sexy feel and Smashing Pumpkins really lets me down. I admit to being pre-disposed to hate this movie, so my opinions are really moot, but I was really content with having a master-piece comic book. I know the film can never be the book--Alan Moore told Terry Gilliam years ago that he didn't think Watchmen could be filmed--but to me I just don't want to have to put up with the traumatic experience I put up with after V ("Hey, did you see V for Vendetta?" "Yeah. Comic book is way better. It's about anarchy. It's pretty cool." "Um... but it's a comic book." "Yeah. It's great." "..." -- that happened a lot).

So oh well. So, I guess, I don't have any intention of seeing it is my long-winded point.

"Comics are a wellspring of imagination; comics can tell stories cheaply that other mediums cannot express. Today it costs $100 million to do special effects on film in 'Fantastic Four' that Jack Kirby could create 40 years ago with a pencil."
-Grant Morrison, at the New Yorker Festival

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies