Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old July 2nd, 2010, 11:19 AM
Chilly Fangirl

ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Biking

Searched, but knowing how good I am at finding stuff I probably missed a 1,000 post thread about the subject.

Anyway, are there any other bikers out there? Right now I'm a casual biker, only biking 30 miles or so every other Sunday.

I hope to become an avid cyclist, but first I have to upgrade my bike. I've got a Wal-Mart Mongoose bike that I picked up at a garage sale, and the chain keeps popping out when I'm biking.

So, I'm going to buy a 7.2 FX Trek (link) and start biking much more often and farther distances, such as 70 miles to Duluth, MN.

Anyway, any other bikers out there who have any tips and such?
Old July 2nd, 2010, 11:34 AM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth
Re: Biking

Here's some advice: Wal-Mart bikes are bad!

I've had one like that, and now the gears can't shift properly, and the chain easily falls off... Last fall I bought a nice bike, though, so I'm set for a while!

I'm trying to bike more often, to gain some endurance for my martial arts testing this fall, but I'm still not so good. I biked about 8 miles yesterday, and take a trail every two weeks or so that's about 16 miles. You call yourself casual, but you're still way ahead of me, yet!
Old July 2nd, 2010, 11:43 AM

ranoobu is surprisingly tart

Tip: Check craigslist for some great deals.

I got myself a really nice Giant for $25 .. yea $25

There's also a website that gives you bike trails.. I can't remember it off the top of my head.

Make sure you get one of those small bike multi tools that also has a tool to fix your bike chain. You will be glad you did if anything happens to your bike on the trail

If you end up buying a bike at a bike shop, that's actually not a bad idea since they have some great tips for bikers and may have some type of included service for bike maintenance.

They'll also fit the bike to your specific size.

Aeston's Before Heroscape - An interesting read for any Heroscape fan. I loved the final conclusion to the post as well lol

Good trades: SirGalahad
Old July 2nd, 2010, 11:47 AM
Chilly Fangirl

ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranoobu View Post
Tip: Check craigslist for some great deals.

I got myself a really nice Giant for $25 .. yea $25

There's also a website that gives you bike trails.. I can't remember it off the top of my head.

Make sure you get one of those small bike multi tools that also has a tool to fix your bike chain. You will be glad you did if anything happens to your bike on the trail

If you end up buying a bike at a bike shop, that's actually not a bad idea since they have some great tips for bikers and may have some type of included service for bike maintenance.

They'll also fit the bike to your specific size.
Yeah, I'm buying it at the local bike shop. My family has bought a good deal of kids bikes there, so my dad said I'll be sure to get a discount if I buy one there. I already went over and talked to the owner and told him exactly what I was planning on using the bike for, and he suggested the 7.2 FX. So, right now I'm saving up for the bike, and I'm almost ready to buy it.

Hopefully, this bike will last me a good while.

BTW, thanks for the tip on the multi tool. I'll have to look that up.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 11:57 AM
Silly Kid

arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I guess I would call myself a casual biker. Last Sunday I biked a 12 mile route with my dad. Biking is probably my second-most preferred exercise, after running.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 12:39 PM

Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker

The longest ride I ever went on was a 50 mile ride. I used to live in Iowa, and there were a bunch of CIC in our area. Anyone here do RAGBRAI?
Old July 2nd, 2010, 12:48 PM
Silly Kid

arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I haven't done RAGBRAI, though it seems like something that would be fun to do in the future. My aunt attempted to run the last one, but after a few days she stopped because of an injury.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 01:06 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Just from memory, I'm pretty sure there isn't a cycling thread here. I had been wanting to get into cycling for some time, but in 2008 when gas was sitting around $4 a gallon, not to mention we used a gallon a day to get me to and from work, I picked up one of these to get me to and from work with the hopes that I would recoup all that I paid to get it. I got to about 25% when I got a different job, and I haven't pulled out the bike nearly enough. I need to get on again and ride regularly. I miss the hour a day on the saddle.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 01:19 PM
Chilly Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann View Post
Just from memory, I'm pretty sure there isn't a cycling thread here. I had been wanting to get into cycling for some time, but in 2008 when gas was sitting around $4 a gallon, not to mention we used a gallon a day to get me to and from work, I picked up one of these to get me to and from work with the hopes that I would recoup all that I paid to get it. I got to about 25% when I got a different job, and I haven't pulled out the bike nearly enough. I need to get on again and ride regularly. I miss the hour a day on the saddle.
I live in the country, about 13 minutes away (by car) to town, and I thoroughly enjoy watching the scenery as I bike there.

Old fences and barns, a lake, and a lot of apple trees, and not too much traffic. It's very relaxing.

'Course, there's people like Grey Elephant *cough* *cough* who don't think that bikers should be on the side of the road.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 02:27 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

I hear it. When I switched from car to bike, I went from a 10 mile trip on the freeway in a suburban area to a 10 mile trip through seldom used back roads going mostly through old farm lands. I traded a drive that wasn't even that stressful for a half hour of solitude. I miss it.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 03:19 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

I ride my bike down to Rite-Aid to get a Monster (energy drink that I like) every once and a while. I don't get out of the house much, lol.

I ride this old 3 speed, but the 3rd speed doesn't work anymore for some reason. Having a few more speeds would be nice, but I don't need 27,000 like a lot of newer bikes have.

Also, do they still make bikes that brake when you pedal backwards?

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old July 2nd, 2010, 03:35 PM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaGoomba Slayer View Post
Also, do they still make bikes that brake when you pedal backwards?
Only for little kids (like, under 10). If it only has one speed (aka, little kid bikes) you can do that.

I've never seen a bike with more than 1 speed do that.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General