Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old October 22nd, 2014, 12:14 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Question Dump: Post Your Questions Here.

Play an army that can switch gears somewhat easily. Part of the reason the hive isn't great is because it can only play a defensive game. Raelin can make for excellent bait to draw opponents closer to your army despite being a defensive unit. The SotM Raelin also can make for a decent figher after baiting an opponent by nosediving straight into an army of soldiers.

And don't jump into lava.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old October 23rd, 2014, 03:19 AM

Lesur is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
And don't jump into lava.
I don't have lava. . I'm looking to buy more figures (mainly NotNW, PoU, Atlaga, Gilbert, Denrick and KoW. + Terrain.

Thanks everyone for answering. I often browse through the strategy articles and have found some very good things.
I play 750 point games and a favourite army of mine is: Airborne Elite, Sonlen, Finn, Thorgrim, Deathrats, Krav Maga Agents, Agent Carr and Raelin. Is this good?

I am a supporter of Star Wars, HeroScape, Age of Mythology and Ninja Ponies. Don't judge my good taste.
Support the Sasquatch Militia. We are looking for people like YOU!
Old October 23rd, 2014, 08:25 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Ask yourself if you're having fun. If so, the army is serving its purpose, and is therefore a good one.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 24th, 2014, 06:32 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Briefly...

1) Part of the value of commons is in using them in multiples. A single squad of commons is typically not worth the cost compared to a single squad of uniques. Having said that, multiples of commons can be very strong - often stronger than their unique counterparts because they don't lose nearly as much power when they take losses. Takeaway: Play at least 2x-3x of any common.

2) Lots of little attacks is usually better than one big attack. Because dice are cruel, even a defense of 6+ is going to whiff sometimes and an attack with as few as 2 dice will produce at least one skull 75% of the time to take advantage of the whiff.

3) Range is king for three reasons. It often allows you to attack from height. It often allows you to get in the first attack. It greatly expands the area that a unit can threaten in a single turn making it move+range instead of just move.

3a) The unit with more range gets to pick their defensive position. A unit with a range of 7 has more superiority than you might think over a unit with a range of 6.

~Aldin, calling that good for now and tagging @dok
I'll just quote a recent Aldin line back which came up in a discussion we had:

Quote:
In the beginning, it's grab what you like and then worry about OM placement in the actual game. Next in the process is exploring utter simplification. All 4th Mass, KoW and Human Champs, Arrow Gruts and Beasts. Then you add something to solve a particular problem - say tossing Nilfheim into a KoW+Human Champ army. Finally, you start exploring complicated armies with moving parts and tricky OM decisions. It's useful to follow the whole thought process to see the value of OM efficiency and management the whole way.
With that in mind, Lesur, the "utter simplification" stage is probably where you want to head. You will probably learn a lot from playing a massed melee army a few times, especially a bonding one. Learn the power of the slow-roll - don't let your army get stretched out.

Also, if you want lots of reps against good players, try online play.
Old October 25th, 2014, 01:35 AM

Lesur is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
Briefly...

1) Part of the value of commons is in using them in multiples. A single squad of commons is typically not worth the cost compared to a single squad of uniques. Having said that, multiples of commons can be very strong - often stronger than their unique counterparts because they don't lose nearly as much power when they take losses. Takeaway: Play at least 2x-3x of any common.

2) Lots of little attacks is usually better than one big attack. Because dice are cruel, even a defense of 6+ is going to whiff sometimes and an attack with as few as 2 dice will produce at least one skull 75% of the time to take advantage of the whiff.

3) Range is king for three reasons. It often allows you to attack from height. It often allows you to get in the first attack. It greatly expands the area that a unit can threaten in a single turn making it move+range instead of just move.

3a) The unit with more range gets to pick their defensive position. A unit with a range of 7 has more superiority than you might think over a unit with a range of 6.

~Aldin, calling that good for now and tagging @dok
I'll just quote a recent Aldin line back which came up in a discussion we had:

Quote:
In the beginning, it's grab what you like and then worry about OM placement in the actual game. Next in the process is exploring utter simplification. All 4th Mass, KoW and Human Champs, Arrow Gruts and Beasts. Then you add something to solve a particular problem - say tossing Nilfheim into a KoW+Human Champ army. Finally, you start exploring complicated armies with moving parts and tricky OM decisions. It's useful to follow the whole thought process to see the value of OM efficiency and management the whole way.
With that in mind, Lesur, the "utter simplification" stage is probably where you want to head. You will probably learn a lot from playing a massed melee army a few times, especially a bonding one. Learn the power of the slow-roll - don't let your army get stretched out.

Also, if you want lots of reps against good players, try online play.
Thanks for the help everyone. I just played against my Dad in a 500 point game. I had The Airborne Elite, Krav Maga Agents, Finn, Thorgrim, Raelin and Ne-Gok-Sa while he had Deathwalker 9000, Mimring, Agent Carr, the Izumi Samurai and the Tarn Viking Warriors. All the stat boosting glyphs (Range +4, Attack +1, Defense +1, Unique Attack +1 etc.) were on an outcrop 5 high. I won with only 3 Airborne Elite defeated.

I am a supporter of Star Wars, HeroScape, Age of Mythology and Ninja Ponies. Don't judge my good taste.
Support the Sasquatch Militia. We are looking for people like YOU!
Old November 2nd, 2014, 05:02 PM

Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby!

Question about terrain placement: Can a ladder be placed on an overhang and extend downward? Ladder only attached to overhang. Ladder also has a landing space.

Oops, rolled a 1.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 05:23 PM
Bugger

El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marro_Warlord View Post
Question about terrain placement: Can a ladder be placed on an overhang and extend downward? Ladder only attached to overhang. Ladder also has a landing space.
Yep. I believe the Aarglyn map/scenario features one of those.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 05:41 PM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marro_Warlord View Post
Officially as long as it's attached to one piece of terrain & is resting on terrain below it is legit.

Unofficially we in the C3G have used them hanging from overhangs even. You can house rule whatever you want & have lots of fun with it .
Old November 2nd, 2014, 05:59 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Yes, you can. The castle walls only featured 1 part (the wall walkway) where the ladder could attach. No harm!

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.

Last edited by flameslayer93; November 2nd, 2014 at 06:00 PM. Reason: I don't use ladders too often, but they can be extremely fun!
Old November 2nd, 2014, 09:51 PM

Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby!

Thanks for the help guys!

Oops, rolled a 1.
Old November 13th, 2014, 02:26 PM

vanilla is surprisingly tart

New question: If I have two squads of 4th Mass Line, and one squad moves during a turn, and I elect to attack with the other squad, who did not move, do they benefit from the "wait then fire" ability?
Old November 13th, 2014, 02:35 PM

Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla View Post
New question: If I have two squads of 4th Mass Line, and one squad moves during a turn, and I elect to attack with the other squad, who did not move, do they benefit from the "wait then fire" ability?
Nope , you shouldn't be taking action with any more than 4 figures per OM with the 4th mass.

You "activate" any 4 of those 8 squaddies. By activating them, you may choose to move and/or attack. You don't have to move, and you don't have to attack, but the 4 you choose to activate are the only ones that may take action.

Shame, I really don't know how to explain this better.

If you move four guys out of your start zone, yet none of those four have any targets to fire at, you CANNOT just pick another guy on the front lines to attack with. In that case, you would only move three out of your start zone, move that guy on the front lines if you wish, and attack with that guy in the frontline (assuming the other three don't have targets.)

Bah, this is hard for me to explain. I hope it suffices, or perhaps someone else does it better.

Haha I forgot to add: No wait then fire is allowed if even ONE of your 4th mass moves, even if the other 3 stay still and attack!

Last edited by Unhinged Manchild; November 13th, 2014 at 03:06 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's