Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games
Other Games Board, Card, Video, etc.

Notices

Old April 22nd, 2020, 05:57 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!
Re: Letters From the Front

I’m not sure. The power is Wild Shape in the rulebook. I never played any version before 5E so the power may have been called something else or not existed in previous versions.
Old April 22nd, 2020, 05:59 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I am a player in a lot of play-by-post (and play-by-discord) games. Most of them are for organized play. Maybe I will recap some of my favorites later.

Asa GM I am only running one game. It meets every ~3 weeks (skipping this weekend due to life circumstances) and we have transitioned to roll20. My party is interesting... Pathfinder 2e requires more tactics than "I move adjacent and then full attack every round while standing still" which was common in 1e. I don't think my players have figured out how to be effective as a party yet, and they are level 5.

I'll give some summaries later.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old May 30th, 2020, 09:02 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

I haven't played DnD since February, as COVID has messed that up. We had played in person at my buddy Brian's house, as he is the DM. It was considered that we would try Roll20, but Brian's wife didn't want to play on a computer. So we wait.

But....I was so fortunate to get into a Play by Forum group on BGG with my buddy Brian also in it. And better yet, it's for the FFG Star Wars RPG, which Brian has almost every book and supplement for (a ton!) and I have recently gotten the Edge of the Empire core book for the game (400+pages). In this RPG, there are 3 core rulebooks, but you only need 1. Edge of the Empire is about the smuggler types, scum and villainy types that deal on the Outer Rim. Age of the Rebellion deals with rebel soldier types going against the Empire. And Force and Destiny is about Jedi and the force.

Anyway, the campaign we are playing is from a sourcebook called Beyond the Rim. There are 3 different parts to it and after 3 weeks, we finished the first part. There is a GM and 6 of us players, though 1 player from Australia, who was playing a Mandolorian Marauder type character had to drop out due to real life. But the GM got a replacement who will start once we land on a planet. This new guy is playing as an Astromech Droid, Smuggler Thief class.

I'm playing a female Bothan Politico, which is neat because my character isn't about combat at all. When assigning initial XP's towards abilities, skills and talents, I leaned heavy into Charm, Negotiation and Leadership. This will be a departure from the combat centric Dwarf Druid that I play in DnD, but with the SW Rpg, there is a lot more narrative than combat. So I'm basically the Face and talker of the group. I will be able to thrive in situations where negotiating deals or costs of goods will help the group, as well as charming my way into getting information. I've also used my leadership to get NPC's to help and to boost my crewmates. It's such a cool system, because I'll have my time to shine and help, and the Human Outlaw Tech character will get his time to shine with mechanical stuff. The Chiss Archaeologist is the smart guy of the group. My buddy Brian is playing a female Mirialan Bodyguard is our badass and is my bodyguard due to our combined backstory. Finally, there is Kir, our pilot and owner of the freighter that we are currently traveling in. He's also of the Bothan race, and is Smuggler Gambler class. The player playing him is playing him as a sneaky and coniving dick. So my character any Brian's as well are treating that character with little respect and basically call him out a lot. In fact, in private messages between myself and Brian, I told him that my character will never do anything to help Kir, as long as he is a douche character. My character has a talent to be able to reduce strain in others and I'll never reduce his strain or give him a stimpack to heal him. Basically there is a wound threshold and strain threshold, if either one is surpassed, then you are knocked out basically and at some point you could die if you get too far over. Brian also mentioned that his character may shoot Kir if given the chance, but I don't think he will do that "intentionally".

Anyway, here's my character's backstory.

Nann came from a middle-class family of clan Elaso, on the Bothan home planet of Bothawui. Her parents had pushed her to get into politics, as that is where the power is and they had high aspirations for her. Unfortunately, clan Elaso didn't have enough status to warrant much opportunity for Nann to be able to rise in the political ranks on Bothawui, so she joined the Bothan Diplomatic Corps, where her opportunities would have to come from traveling the galaxy.

After years of service, Nann found herself on the Mid Rim planet of Centares, an industrial trade world at the edge of Inner Rim apace and used as a kickoff point for those headed to the Outer Rim. Nann had heard of the fledgling rebellion and it had peaked her interest, as the more she had seen and interacted with the Empire, the more she despised them and what they stood for.

An opportunity presented itself for Nann to become business acquaintances with an Imperial Service Bureau officer named Colonel Jaeger. Over time, she had used her natural charm to subtly gain information from him with regards to plans for striking out at some rebel cells. She passed that information to the Bothan spy network, in hopes of sticking it to the Empire and helping the underdog rebels was a plus.

A week or so later, it had been brought to her attention that a female Mirialan had been profiled because of her unique look and arrested by the human security forces in the city. Nann used her connection with Colonel Jaeger to have the Mirialan released to her custody. However, it wasn't long thereafter, Nann heard from her spy network sources that the Imperial plans against those rebel cells had been thwarted, and Nann had better get off planet soon. The network told her that they could get her to a place called The Wheel and she'd be on her own from there to get to the Outer Rim, where she had a better chance of eluding a vengeful Colonel Jaeger.

The Mirialan, named Kerai had been grateful for Nann's help and asked if she could join her on her journey to The Wheel.

And here is Brian's character backstory:

Like many Mirialans, Kerai Diyude had a deep connection with the natural world and was a strong believer in the Force. At an early age, she showed promise with sparring skills and developed signs of Force-sensitivity. Her community encouraged her family to send her to the Jedi Temple and helped raise the credits to make the journey. As was customary, another Mirialan Jedi Knight, Chiguu Myr, agreed to accompany her to Coruscant, sponsor her tests, and take her on as his Padawan if she was accepted. But before they could leave, the General Kenobi’s warning about Order 66 was received and Chiguu and Kerai were forced to flee off planet.

Between planet hoping and scrounging to survive, Chiguu did his best to probe Kerai’s abilities and begin the basics. Lacking proper equipment, she became adept at using a Force Pike allowing the Force to move through her. They gathered parts to start Kerai’s own lightsaber, needing only to find a kyber crystal to activate it. But all that ended when the Seventh Sister, another Mirialan, tracked the duo down. Chiguu fought the Seventh Sister long enough to allow Kerai to escape, her last image of her mentor cut down by a red light saber.

Kerai swore an oath to follow the Path of the Jedi but to also avenge Chiguu’s death. She continued the life she knew, moving from planet to planet, taking on odd jobs as a mercenary, and developing other martial skills. Her Jedi-training now at an end, she joined pockets of resistance, hoping every mission would prick at the Empire, and repay their debt. Following the old traditions, she recorded her story across her face, broadcasting to all other Mirialans the loss and betrayal played out by her own kind.

Eventually she found herself on Centares, but this mission did not go as planned. She was taken prisoner when facial-recognition software identified her as wanted by the Imperial authorities. She was rescued by an associate of her local contact, a Bothan politician that was sympathetic to her plight. But the Politico was entangled in her own issues and needed to get off planet. Grateful for what Nann De’laso had done to release her, Kerai pledged to protect Nann and follow her to the Outer Rim.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old May 30th, 2020, 11:20 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Cool. You are an ambassador type, that is nice.
Being able to excel outside of combat is a fun niche.
Once ran a Telemechanic which was great whenever we were in a high tech area.
Old May 30th, 2020, 12:05 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

There is plenty of room in SW rpg to excel at non combat roles. There is a lot of opportunity to negotiate (I got our initial fee ti be 15,000 credits each instead of 10,000 each. Of course we only got 1,500 credits up front each to shop with for supplies, but that was a huge help for the group. I was also able to charm the shop owner so that we got a 25% discount. I've used those skills to get information from an infochant, and leadership to boost allies while having to make some repairs and shooting while on our ship. She also has some skill in Coercion, so putting my blaster pistol to the eye of a Rodian prisoner helped get him to lose his bravado and talk.

She was originally an ambassador, but now taking on a leadership and support role for the group. Eventually I want her to become more combat capable, but that's down the road a bit. She traded in her fancy clothes for some padded armor and spent xp's on a dodge talent to make her harder to hit and be more rough and tumble when we land on a planet with who knows what. But I want her to progress and evolve over time to be able to hold her own more like Leia and Jyn Erso from Rogue One.

Old May 31st, 2020, 01:10 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I love being the party face. I've found it's my favorite role, though my experience is limited to D&D 5E. Give me a caster face type, and I'm happy.

I have a rogue face-type, too, but he's not nearly as interesting in combat.

face.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old May 31st, 2020, 08:33 AM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
I love being the party face. I've found it's my favorite role, though my experience is limited to D&D 5E. Give me a caster face type, and I'm happy.

I have a rogue face-type, too, but he's not nearly as interesting in combat.

face.
My DnD group hasn't gotten into as much roleplaying as the Star Wars group. But I think that is because the DnD group is all newbies, despite the 6 of us including the DM are 40 +, with me being 53 in a fee weeks. So we are more mechanical about it.

The play by forum Star Wars group has mostly experienced rpg players. Brian, who is our DnD group DM, has gotten more experience with a 5e play by forum now. So when I've seen how others have really gotten into their roles, I have too and it's great fun. Of course though, it's easier to come up with lines to say or express when you have time to think about it and type them, but we also generally have to convey more at one time than we would if in person. When my DnD group gets back together, I'm going to try to get more into the role.

I think for us, we just sometimes have a hard time coming up with things to ask or say when we are in a tavern or talking or investigating otherwise. I need to do better.

One thing about the SW rpg system, is that the dice help you come up with narrative play. It's not just a pass/fail system like DnD. There are a lot more skills to roll for depending on the situation. You can be have more dice in certain skills than others, and beyond that, you can have some better dice among the regular dice. Then, you roll against opposing dice with various difficulty ratings. There are extra dice of a different type that can be added to your roll if there is a favorable situation or being assisted by a team member, likewise, there are negative dice that can be added if the GM thinks there are negative conditions or perhaps you are suffering from some condition. Anyway, there are different symbols, where some cancel others out. After all the cancellation, you see how many successes you have. You can also have advantage symbols or threat symbols, as well as a triumph or despair. You can fail the test but have some advantages and you or the GM come up with how despite failing, you still have something favorable happen. Likewise, you can succeed but have some threat symbols, so you can either take that many points of strain and explain how that happened or some other negative effects despite being successful. A triumph symbol means something extraordinary happens in a good way and you come up with what happened narratively, and a despair is the opposite. So the dice results can help with the narrative play and it's a cool system once you get used to the symbols and using the symbols thematically.

Old June 14th, 2020, 01:28 AM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
DND Stuff

I don't have full length stories or anything at the moment, but got in two sessions this week.

One is the Hoard of the Dragon Queen module. I am playing a half elf paladin/hexblade warlock Aenora who I'm kind of messing with the stereotypical paladin type where she's very nice and upbeat but also very much a "do not find out why I have so many rules". Essentially, she's battling her own inner demons and family history. The rest of our party is a human battlesmith artificer, a tiefling divine soul sorcerer, and a tiefling homebrew witch class that is a bit of a gish (the tieflings are actually siblings).

We've only had a couple of sessions so far (level 2). We're currently trying to help a town being looted by cultists. I've managed to intimidate us out of a couple of fights and last session I managed to knock out a cultist (for potential questioning) and then have my armor of agathys instakill the kobold that tried to hit me. We're currently outside a building with people trapped inside and I'm not quite sure how we're going to handle it as we're running a bit low on resources.

The other campaign has been going for quite a while now. It meets monthly, but usually for a long time. I am playing a changeling wild magic sorcerer Xin (hilariously while we've made it much more likely for wild magic to go off there still hasn't been a really good indication yet that she has wild magic as there's always been a mitigating circumstance when it goes off except for the one time where I basically She-Ra'd up and became super big for a minute). She is a bubbly ball of energy and often says and does the first thing to come into her mind (this did one time mean the party cleric had to physically stop her from casting a spell, but it has also led to things like inadvertently causing the paladin to realize she knew what was written on his sword that he'd been trying to figure out for some time). She also can't keep secrets to save her life. I have also inadvertently hit the party a lot (I rolled a bunch of natural 1s while firing at enemies locked into combat in early sessions). Still despite these setbacks, she has proven herself a valuable member of the party as the stereotypical glass cannon. The rest of the party is a dwarf cleric of the forge, human paladin of vengeance, bugbear kensai monk, human artillerist artificer, and drow circle of dreams druid (the drow and I are not allowed to be alone together because we become toddlers with magic). We're currently level 6.

After a series of adventures traversing other parts of the land (which did get us a pretty sweet boat that the cleric is now bound to), we have made our way to the capital of the empire we live in. I'm not quite sure if there's some big bad evil guy in place (but I suspect it has something to do with these green knights that are on a crusade against monster races aka over half the party), but we've mostly just been making our way across the land as a ragtag bunch of misfits. We're currently doing some work for a rebellion against the empire (which none of us are super thrilled with and which we suspect has got some evil groups running it). We just rescued an informant from a prison all while toting around the new flumph that the drow and I purchased as a pet (like I said toddlers with magic). We're not yet out of the prison yet, but we're in pretty good shape.

My other campaigns that I haven't played in a bit include one where I'm a half elf bardlock who acts like she's not very bright but is really just hiding that she is a warlock and she and her patron have a very antagonistic relationship, and one where I'm a changeling bard (can you tell I like charisma casters?) who acts all tough and sarcastic but is actually just a giant cinnamon roll (hilariously if you've ever seen the cinnamon roll chart, my four character fit into four different slots there). Both haven't met in a little bit due to the COVID stuff, but they've been fun.

I am also DMing for two groups the same campaign and they're both in about the same spots. I don't want to go into too much detail there because at least one of my players is on these forums but if you want more details I'll happily share over PM.

~Dysole, able to squeeze in so many of these because most meet monthly
Old June 14th, 2020, 07:10 AM

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

So you play in four campaigns and DM two?
Wow you are nerdier than I thought.
Jealous. Would love to have one solid campaign to play or DM.
How does the Wild magic work?
Old June 14th, 2020, 08:07 AM
Prickly Cactus

Yeah, that's crazy Dysole! But sounds awesome to be able to swing that.

Old June 14th, 2020, 10:10 AM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Let's Get Wild

So RAW every time I cast a spell of 1st level or higher, the DM can tell me to roll a d20. If I roll a 1, I roll on the wild magic table which has about 50 random effects. To make it more likely, the DM just told me whenever you cast a spell, roll a number of d20s equivalent to the spell level. If any show a 1, roll on the table. Surprisingly, went like 9 sessions before even rolling on the table.

~Dysole, informationally
Old June 14th, 2020, 10:40 AM

Cool. That is close to how it works in my system.
Big difference is the spell can also fizzle.
The chance of each varies as you go up in levels.
Wild Chart has 100 possibilities and has seen a few variations, including one for a ship to ship battle.
Wild magic is unique in that it does not require a focal point, like an incantation, wand, component, etc. Wilders can learn any spell they witness being cast from a living being.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games