Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old January 19th, 2012, 08:23 AM

LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby!
What board game brings out the worst in you?

For me it has to be Battlestar Galactica. When I play Settlers of Catan or Zooloretto I'm a pretty easy guy. I'll trade with you even if I know you're going to win. In a sense, I *want* you to win because I know it'll make you happy. But when I play Battlestar something happens to me...

Last game I was a Cylon (and Admiral) in a four player game from the very beginning. I bided my time, playing along with the humans until the sleeper phase. Then, when one of the other players became the sympathizer and the ship was surrounded by basestars, I sprung the trap. I threw the president in the brig and essentially ran the ship straight into the ground without ever "revealing" myself. It happened so fast that everyone was stunned. I felt so bad about it later

Which games release your inner beast and/or psychopath?

Last edited by LilMoochie : five minutes ago.
Reason: You think it's mindless drivel now? You should have seen it before.
LilMoochie's Maps, LilMoochie's trades
Old January 19th, 2012, 07:04 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: What board game brings out the worst in you?

Funny but I have to say...Monopoly and Scrabble...I am relentless when I play either game which is why I usually won't play either with my kids...LOL

Playing a cutthroat or traitor type game the RIGHT way does not bring out the worst in you...if you are playing it right it brings out the best gamer in you.
Old January 19th, 2012, 07:14 PM

Omahavice is surprisingly tart

Thunderstone x3
A Few Acres of Snow x2
Stone Age x1
Roll Through the Ages x2

Tournament Record
Good Trades List

DaBoyzRule 5 Time Super Bowl Champions Working on Number 6
Old January 19th, 2012, 07:15 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahavice View Post
Thunderstone x3
A Few Acres of Snow x2
Stone Age x1
Roll Through the Ages x2
Wrong thread?
Old January 19th, 2012, 07:52 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Easy one for me, Strat-o-Matic Baseball. Pretty much the only game I play (not that I have recently) where the competitor in me wins out and I must win at all costs (within the rules of course).

-insert signature here-
Old January 19th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Easy one for me, Strat-o-Matic Baseball. Pretty much the only game I play (not that I have recently) where the competitor in me wins out and I must win at all costs (within the rules of course).
This was true of me and the rest of the guys I was in a Strat-O-Matic Hockey league with for 15 years. I just quit this past season as it was getting too much of a pain getting all 82 games in each year plus playoffs, as our work schedules and family life made things harder. We played head to head, so it was 45min-1 hour per game and that took it's toll.

I had calmed down over the last couple seasons, but there was a time when a chair got thrown across my basement and the bent metal leg is still a reminder of not such a proud moment. Others have ripped up a player's card, snapped a pen in half or flipped a table. Believe me, I don't miss it at all. I joined a gaming group last June and it's amazing how awesome these people are and while everyone wants to win, we don't get crazy about it. We have fun and enjoy each others company, playing tons of games and that's what it's all about. I can't believe I wasted so much time and competitive stress over Strato Hockey for so long, but at least it makes me appreciate the group of people I associate with now and my less competitive nature.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old January 19th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Cutthroat Caverns.

Old January 20th, 2012, 08:41 AM

LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
... there was a time when a chair got thrown across my basement and the bent metal leg is still a reminder of not such a proud moment.
Wow. That is pretty competitive. I've never heard of that one but I'm not a huge sports guy.

Scrabble brings out the worst in me in a very different way "COme one man! That's totally a word! Look it up on Urban Dictionary." Needless to say I don't play it with my kids...

Last edited by LilMoochie : five minutes ago.
Reason: You think it's mindless drivel now? You should have seen it before.
LilMoochie's Maps, LilMoochie's trades
Old January 20th, 2012, 08:48 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

@Hahma

I hear ya. I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that the group I played with was the same group that I grew up with in college and we were always playing something (wiffle ball, football, softball, nintendo, etc..) and when you're in your early 20s (at least for us) competition was still a huge part of our personalities.

Strat-O was just another thing to beat eachother over the head with. It was fun, don't get me wrong, but there were nights I would look forward to playing all day, only to leave in a bad mood because I went 1-5 on the night with a 'in his prime' Pedro Martinez getting wracked twice (the dice are so evil sometimes).

It's been 8-9 years since the last time we played. I doubt the group (most still local) will get back together for Strat-O any time soon (we all have young kids), but my son is probably old enough to play the basic game. I still have all my old cards. Maybe time to dust em off (who am I kidding, I'll order the current set).

-insert signature here-
Old January 23rd, 2012, 07:43 PM

B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker

There isn't a specific game that brings out the worst in me, but I have flipped a time here and there when a game requires dice rolling and I'm being an absolute whiff master. Sometimes I can't roll dice to save my life, especially when I play against Tina. There's even a running joke with some of my gaming buddies that she is my gaming kryptonite.

I don't mind losing in games and even will jest about my poor playing sometimes. I guess just on rare occasion, my competitiveness gets the best of me. I can remember an occassion of playing Summoner Wars and I think I whiffed something like 7 or 8 consecutive attack attempts. On my last whiffed roll, I burst out with a, "are you *expletive* kidding me!" She looked at me with surprise. At the moment I didn't say anything, but after the game I apologized for being a grouch.

It takes a revolution to begin evolution...
www.myspace.com/theautimis - Check out the Heroscape inspired song, "Valhalla's On Fire" at this link!!! (lyrics included)
Old January 23rd, 2012, 11:30 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

The thing with Strat-O-Matic sports games is that you are playing cards of actual players of that sport and the cards represent each player's stats from the previous year's actual season in real life. So being sports anyway, it's going to be competitive, but you also have certain expectations of performances of those players based on those stats and when they don't live up to your expectations, it gets frustrations.

For our league, he had keeper teams and drafted every year. So we made trades during the season, had trade deadlines, and a cap on the number of players we kept on a team. So we were really into it and made added rules and whatnot for the game to add to the realism.

The other part of the competitive factor is that we played all 82 games plus playoffs and when certain players in the league continuously dominates another player, there can be friction.

But anyway, I'm glad I'm done with that, 15 years in the league was long enough.

@NYYS: it would probably be cool for you to teach your son the game. It would be easier to keep it as a "fun" game rather than an uber competitive one.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old January 24th, 2012, 01:47 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

When playing multiplayer Free-For-All games, I do NOT play to win, but to be "the equalizer" by screwing with whoever is in the lead at the time. This is especially accentuated in Risk, where I will run down my entire army to one unit a country in order to break up continents. People hate me, unless they are the current underdog, and even then they think it weird. I have not won Risk in awhie and I am fine with it. I would consider it a failure if I won.

I do something crazy in Hearts, I try to get as close to 25 points (but not 26) a hand, with an ultimate goal to loose in 4 turns. People quit or kick me out of the game after a couple of rounds as it is worse than if I always won.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games