Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old November 6th, 2010, 06:53 AM

DBC knows what's in an order marker DBC knows what's in an order marker DBC knows what's in an order marker
Why not make our own line through Kickstarter?

It very much looks like Heroscape is going the way of customs from now on.
There are many concerns in regards to this development. But I believe the main issue will be availability of the models. It will almost be impossible to use collectible figures, as they will not be as readily available to the entire fan-base as they should. Looking at existing miniature games, I find it hard to find anything that is both fitting for Heroscape and has a reasonable cost.
This is why I bring up the following idea:

On www.kickstarter.com you can set up any kind of project you want. The trick is you set the minimum amount of money needed to start the project. People then start donating/pre-ordering, but no money will change hands unless the project is actually realized!

So let's say we find a sculptor and ask him/her for the price of 30 sculpts of, say, historical figures. We then find a factory who can mass produce the line. We can then calculate the total cost of production and distribution, and set up the project on Kickstarter.
If enough orders and donations are made, the series of historical figures will start production.
In the meantime, however we decide to set up customs creations, stats can be fleshed out here on Heroscapers.
Not only will this mean no-one will be risking any money, but we will also be able to make exactly what the fan-base wants. If not enough people are interested in Killer-Penguins with machineguns, production simply won't start.
The line of miniatures wouldn't even have to be labelled Heroscape. We just happen to make a line of historical, futuristic, or whatever releases, that happen to be of the same size as pre-D&D Heroscape units. With the production being public like this, it should also appeal to miniature collectors outside the Heroscape fan-base.

Thoughts?

EDIT: This will also have the added benefit of a consistent look of the miniatures. No more mish mash of different artists.

Last edited by DBC; November 6th, 2010 at 07:00 AM.
Old November 6th, 2010, 09:18 AM

Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby! Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby! Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby! Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby! Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby! Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Why not make our own line through Kickstarter?

Great idea! Alien Frontiers was just published this way, to great success. Sign me up!

Eagerly awaiting March of 2017 & August of 2019, when my little Grimnaks achieve the recommended minimum age for Master Rules...
Old November 6th, 2010, 09:21 AM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'd be in.

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old November 6th, 2010, 09:23 AM

ReyRoberto is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

This sounds like a great idea to me!!! The whole idea of trying to find the custom figures had been on my mind for some time.
Old November 6th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Not to rain on your parade or anything, but the tools (molds) alone cost a fortune.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old November 6th, 2010, 10:35 AM

DBC knows what's in an order marker DBC knows what's in an order marker DBC knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Not to rain on your parade or anything, but the tools (molds) alone cost a fortune.
And production won't start if we can't raise the money...
Nobody will be losing any money if the project doesn't get enough orders. So it wouldn't hurt to try. We just need the right contacts.
Old November 6th, 2010, 10:39 AM
From less than zero to Hero!

Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death!

I'm liking this!

Like Superheroes and Comics?
C3G Project is Always Looking for New Members!

Head here to get started!

Playtesting is the most helpful thing!
Old November 6th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Master Custom Creator & HS Codex Editor-in-Chief

atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Only if you are doing injection molding. Their are other methods for short runs these days that are far cheaper. Obviously injection is the way to go for larges runs. But consider this it costs about $5 per figure to produce them with 3d imaging equipment. The end product cost would be about $8 per figure. Now these would be hard plastic, not the pliable ones. The cost per figure is a great deal higher than the current figure price but we would get exactly what is required for the look and feel of the unit and keep the overall aesthetic values of the game intact.

The Meaning of Life is to Give Life Meaning!

The More I learn, the Less I know.
Old November 6th, 2010, 11:53 AM
From less than zero to Hero!

Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death!

At $8 a figure I would not buy any more of htis game.

Like Superheroes and Comics?
C3G Project is Always Looking for New Members!

Head here to get started!

Playtesting is the most helpful thing!
Old November 6th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Master Custom Creator & HS Codex Editor-in-Chief

atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapemage921 View Post
At $8 a figure I would not buy any more of htis game.
Well that is actual pretty low for a quality miniatures. Figures can range from $10 to $50 for a single figures when you start talking about wargaming.

The Meaning of Life is to Give Life Meaning!

The More I learn, the Less I know.
Old November 6th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

Yeah most wargames are far more expensive. Go to Thewarstore.com and check out different games there. Most are 3 times what Heroscape is/was.

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old November 6th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Caretaker of the Custom Realm

GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBC View Post
So let's say we find a sculptor and ask him/her for the price of 30 sculpts of, say, historical figures.
While many sculptors will make custom scultps for $50-100, they will retain the rights to them, which means you can't cast and make more. If you want the rights, going rates are $350-500 per figure. So you're talking $10,000 - 15,000 just for sculpting costs for 30 figures. Just keep in mind the scale of the costs you're talking about. If you got a couple of hundred people to donate, it would be $50-75 per person just for sculpting costs. Molding and manufacturing costs are much higher. Once you figure in shipping and packaging, you could easily be talking about hundreds of dollars per person that would have to be donated.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion