Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old June 3rd, 2011, 03:23 PM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: The Book of Roman Archers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwidje View Post
This might be a n008 question, but if you have Tealord or some other reason why the archers would have more attack, could you roll more dice on the volley?
No. Arrow Volley is a Special Attack and cannot be modified by height or special powers.

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 03:27 PM
What A Daseline

Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
This might be a n008 question, but if you have Tealord or some other reason why the archers would have more attack, could you roll more dice on the volley?
No, no extra dice.

The reason why is because the volley is listed as a "Special Attack" and special attacks are NEVER modified.

Last edited by Deroche; June 3rd, 2011 at 03:36 PM. Reason: doh...ninja'd by Xn F M
Old June 3rd, 2011, 03:44 PM

ladidadi.davis Woo who?

Quote:
No, because those auras always boost the normal attack value. I think there's a glyph that specifically boosts special attacks but I'm probably mistaken.

Curses, ninja'd.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 04:43 PM

Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladidadi.davis View Post
Quote:
No, because those auras always boost the normal attack value. I think there's a glyph that specifically boosts special attacks but I'm probably mistaken.

Curses, ninja'd.
Yes, you are mistaken. Special Attacks are never modified.

I think cwidje probably knows that, but was confused by the wording "may combine their attacks," which makes it sound as if they are just combining however many dice they would roll on a normal attack.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 04:49 PM

STAROCEAN980 knows what's in an order marker STAROCEAN980 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
No, Volley is a special attack and nothing modifies a special attack.

Edit: Ninja'd

My maps:

R.I.P. Ugly-Caco
Old June 3rd, 2011, 05:15 PM

Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby!

I find that Roman Archers are best suited for filling a hero-killing role in an army that doesn't have one... for example, try Roman Archers for heroes, Braxas for squads and add Deathrats to taste:

220- Roman Archers x4
210- Braxas
080- Deathrats x2
Old September 30th, 2011, 12:23 AM

nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I just posted these guys in the theoryscape challenge, but I've used them a bit lately. I have to say, the Roman Archers are one of the more underrated units in the game; you just have to use them appropriately.

At such a low cost, it's easy to see how one would try to make them the common squad in an army, but the archers aren't quite that flexible. True, they're pretty good at taking out heroes, but if your opponent's heroes are that close to your archers, you've go a problem.

I find that these guys work best as a mid-to-late game clean up crew. If your initial force can do enough to cripple your opponent's commons, two or three squads of archers can really dominate your opponent's remaining units as you jockey for position.

A handful of times, I've won with Roman Archers by playing the endgame defensively, making the opponent's figures charge into my Volleys. This of course is pretty ineffective against commons with a greater range.

I typically start with two or three squads bunched into triangles and spread out from each other. In regard to clean up, this can be an effective way of maintaining the special attack when an opponent's melee hero/squad engages a group, often forcing them to choose between finishing off their current targets or risk leaving engagement.

WORST. PALADIN. EVER.

Overall Tourney Record: ....I don't even remember anymore!
Old October 21st, 2011, 04:56 PM

ImAPirate Woo who?

there great if you have at least 2 groups but with only 1 group they are uslless if even 1 dies

But there is one they fear in there tong is name is Navoken, DragonBorn.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/615804-t..._video-6300570
Old November 10th, 2012, 12:37 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

I played these guys last night in a 600pt soloscape game.

[Army and basic strategy can be found here]

Anyways they fought this army:
Ogre Warhulk
Grimnak
Brunak
Ornak
Blades x3

The board was fairly small with a stretch of road on a long hill with snowhills on the sides of the road. There were also four facedown power glyphs on the table.

I began by running out Nilfy and the greenies and having Raelin perch herself on a shadow space. Nilfy demolished Ornak in a couple of turns, and then proceeded to fail some Ice Shards . The Blades accidentally grabbed Mitonsoul (which offed the Warhulk ), and I got Nilrend, who proceeded to Negate Brunak (which didn't matter much as the only thing he needed now was Blood Hungry S.A.). My Greenscale found Defense+1, but didn't hold it for long. The Blades then proceeded to find the Move+2 glyph (which makes them extremely quick little buggers) The Greenscales fell quickly, but a Raelin-backed Nilfheim stuck around for a long time, slowly taking down Brunak and some random Blade Gruts. Once Raelin was killed though, Nilfeim followed. The only thing left at this point were a few blade gruts who rushed the nearly full reservoir of Roman Archers. The Roman Archers might fall like flies, but so do the Blade Gruts (who ended up giving up the Defense and Move Glyphs to get into engagement). The Roman Archers finished off the last Blade Gruts with a satisfying Arrow Volley.

Aftermath:
4 Roman Archer left alive

Thoughts on the Battle:
Although Mitonsoul killing the Warhulk was huge, the fact that Raelin was killed quite easily (she was only attacked a total of three times....) might at least somewhat balance this out. I find that I like using the Arrow Volley a lot (even if it appears as though I might've been using it wrong, I thought that only the lead Archer needed to be in Range and the other 2 archers just needed LOS ).

A fun match none the less.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.

Last edited by flameslayer93; November 10th, 2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old November 10th, 2012, 12:48 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun

Great battle report, flameslayer. Glad to hear people trying out under-appreciated units, and making them (sometimes) work.
Old November 20th, 2013, 02:36 AM

Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

How does the XXX formation (roman archers in line, as opposed to a triangle formation) stands now for the use of Arrow volley ?

I ask because :

- The answer is not in the OP's FAQ
- The answer is not in the up-to-date FAQ (last version is HERE, right ?)
- The OP has two links regarding Arrow Volley. Both basically say XXX formation works, because it is in the FAQ. As it is not anymore in the FAQ, one could consider those posts to just be old post, not up-to-date, corresponding to a time when the answer was in the FAQ.

I see two possibilities :

- The ruling changed, and XXX formation is no longer possible.
=> Is should be clearly stated, and the two misleading links in the OP should be removed.

- This ruling is still the same, but somehow was removed from the FAQ.
=> It should be put back in the FAQ, or at least clearly stated in the OP.
Old November 20th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Pssst...

Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Wow, I completely missed that stipulation of adjacent archers, I have never ever played them that way (I think that means I misused them in one of the online tourney games oops). Huh, I guess then they would have to be in a triangle to be able to use it, that makes them seem even weaker now.

"Hello my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."~Inigo Montoya.

Pssst...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Official Units