Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games
Video Games Computer and console games.

Old October 11th, 2010, 12:05 AM
how do I look?

lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby!
Free old school style games

After failing to find any decent turn based RPG on Xbox 360 and tired of the action RPG's and FPS games I searched the internet for some old shool RPGS and came accross this really great site with hundreds of free user made games. RPGmaker games

I downloaded two games and I'm really impressed with this first one I've been playing. It's called Hero's Realm. It's a game based off of Dragon Warrior 3 and 4 and Final Fantasy 4, 5, and 6. It uses some of the best elements of all those games, borrows graphics from them and many old faces such as Rydia, Cecil, and others that are used purely for graphics. One idea it has that I really like is rather than most other games where you can pick out your hero but not really the details of additional charactors that join you, the main Hero's of each of the 5 chapters are preset but you can build from 12 different additional classes to round out your 4 member party. Many great abilities have returned and many concepts from those games improved on. For instance the Moogles use of different forms of magic depending on where your fighting at is returned in a slightly different form, you don't just use them randomly but can pick from spells available in those locations. Advanced classes are possible, Edgars tools are usable by the engineer (Cid). It may seem, and is, a bit cliche' but it is in a way that works well, the combination of the best eliments of each of these games really combines into a work of art. The game is completely free and you don't need RPG maker to play it. I understand it took the maker some 5 years to make this game and it has over 40 hours of game play. The only bad part of the game is some bad grammar and spelling.

The 2nd game I haven't even tried yet because I'm enjoying the first one so much. you can read more about Hero's Realm without downloading it here.

I'd also like to hear if others here have found some great games like this that recommend them. Free games only please but they don't have to be RPG's

The largest source of Heroscape in Wyoming Washington, now selling loads of terrain.
Old October 11th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Free old school style games

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafleurhero View Post
After failing to find any decent turn based RPG on Xbox 360 and tired of the action RPG's and FPS games I searched the internet for some old shool RPGS and came accross this really great site with hundreds of free user made games. RPGmaker games

I downloaded two games and I'm really impressed with this first one I've been playing. It's called Hero's Realm. It's a game based off of Dragon Warrior 3 and 4 and Final Fantasy 4, 5, and 6. It uses some of the best elements of all those games, borrows graphics from them and many old faces such as Rydia, Cecil, and others that are used purely for graphics. One idea it has that I really like is rather than most other games where you can pick out your hero but not really the details of additional charactors that join you, the main Hero's of each of the 5 chapters are preset but you can build from 12 different additional classes to round out your 4 member party. Many great abilities have returned and many concepts from those games improved on. For instance the Moogles use of different forms of magic depending on where your fighting at is returned in a slightly different form, you don't just use them randomly but can pick from spells available in those locations. Advanced classes are possible, Edgars tools are usable by the engineer (Cid). It may seem, and is, a bit cliche' but it is in a way that works well, the combination of the best eliments of each of these games really combines into a work of art. The game is completely free and you don't need RPG maker to play it. I understand it took the maker some 5 years to make this game and it has over 40 hours of game play. The only bad part of the game is some bad grammar and spelling.

The 2nd game I haven't even tried yet because I'm enjoying the first one so much. you can read more about Hero's Realm without downloading it here.

I'd also like to hear if others here have found some great games like this that recommend them. Free games only please but they don't have to be RPG's
Dragon Age is pretty old school and awesome if you enjoy Baldur's Gate style games. It is turn based combat, but it plays in real time (but you can pause at any moment - same as Baldur's Gate, KOTOR, etc). Blue Dragon is pretty fun as well.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old October 11th, 2010, 07:18 AM
how do I look?

lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post
Quote:

Dragon Age is pretty old school and awesome if you enjoy Baldur's Gate style games. It is turn based combat, but it plays in real time (but you can pause at any moment - same as Baldur's Gate, KOTOR, etc). Blue Dragon is pretty fun as well.
I have both of those games and am not very impressed with either one. Dragon Age is ok but it doesn't really draw me in to the story like some other games. Only being able to really control one charactor at a time doesn't really appeal to me. Oh and in no way is Dragon Age a turn based combat game, it's all real time, also it's not free. Unless of course you mean some other game based off of Dragon Age that I don't know about. It also is certainly not old school in any form, it's that particular game that I was playing when I felt the desire to play something old school.

Blue dragon I also have for the GBSP, I didn't like that one much either though it is a bit closer to what I like. I'd consider that one RTS/RTRPG.

I really wanted to make this game about old school free games, not newer commercial RPG's, so that anyone can download and play them free, like some lesser known names, both of the ones you mentioned are very popular and well known. Thats why I bought both of them but was just disappointed. I think people that didn't start in the Nintendo era don't really know what old school classics are like, though most of the modern Zelda games stay fairly true to the original style. I'm tired of Titles like Shinning Force, Star Ocean, and Final Fantasy that use the names of great classics but aren't nearly as good and have almost nothing in common with those greats.

The largest source of Heroscape in Wyoming Washington, now selling loads of terrain.
Old October 11th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Dragon Age Journeys IS a free TBS RPG.

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old October 11th, 2010, 09:54 AM
how do I look?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob View Post
I looked on wiki and all I saw at first was Origins and all the expansions for it. I didn't see the Journies you mentioned but then I looked further down and it is listed as a flash game that is linked with the other, so you play it to unlock stuff in the main game, interesting. I'll have to give that a try since I have it. Anyway I was correct that Dragon age is real time, I did make the statement that unless there was a spin off game I didn't know about, which is what this is. I wasn't so much thinking on the lines of a flash game since you have to be online at the website for those and it's easy to lose save data for those kinda games. Those are also plagued by the lack of RPG's of any form though, seems like most flash games that come out are Tower defense. Granted I enjoy those kind of games but there are just too many of them.

Best ever flash game is You have to burn the rope. I'll post a walkthrough for it:

Spoiler Alert!

Old October 11th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob View Post
I looked on wiki and all I saw at first was Origins and all the expansions for it. I didn't see the Journies you mentioned but then I looked further down and it is listed as a flash game that is linked with the other, so you play it to unlock stuff in the main game, interesting. I'll have to give that a try since I have it. Anyway I was correct that Dragon age is real time, I did make the statement that unless there was a spin off game I didn't know about, which is what this is. I wasn't so much thinking on the lines of a flash game since you have to be online at the website for those and it's easy to lose save data for those kinda games. Those are also plagued by the lack of RPG's of any form though, seems like most flash games that come out are Tower defense. Granted I enjoy those kind of games but there are just too many of them.

Best ever flash game is You have to burn the rope. I'll post a walkthrough for it:

Spoiler Alert!
Dragon Age is not a true Real time game. It is a phased turn system, just like Baldur's Gate and KOTOR and Final Fantasy. It is not a paused turn based system where nothing go on until you input commands (IE, choose fight, even basic attack every single time).

EDIT: Regardless, get the Fallout games (1 and 2) from GoG.com if you want some awesome turn based battles.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old October 11th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Dragon age journeys is a tbs rpg.

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games