Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old March 22nd, 2010, 12:19 PM

Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: May 8th event. Wyoming, Nebraska, Colorado, maybe Monta

Next weekend I'll see which maps I can build from the BoV set, and then probably make at least one of my own and make a virtualscape file for it.

Also, how's attendence looking? As of right now, it seems to me like it will be my group and you. Hopefully there will be more, I want to faceup against as many new people as I can.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!

Last edited by Tai-Pan; March 22nd, 2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 08:54 PM

Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

LafleurHero, do you or anyone else planning on coming have an extra squad of heavies someone in my group might be able to borrow?

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old March 22nd, 2010, 09:54 PM
how do I look?

lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby!

no problem with the heavy gruts, I have 3 squads and I don't think I will be playing them nor do I think they will be part of the big map. Others that want to make armies can build from my collection on that day or I can pre build some armies

The largest source of Heroscape in Wyoming Washington, now selling loads of terrain.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 10:09 PM

So what's the deal with the big map?

I had originally thought we were just playing our 555 point armies on there in 2 teams of 2. Are there going to be specific armies for that?

Jugger

Old March 23rd, 2010, 10:27 PM
how do I look?

lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby!

yeah the big map is using a draft format. Mostly so that figures won't get confused but also so that some of the lesser used figures can see some action. I have 80 cards picked out, common cards have 2 of them and uniques and uncommons have just one. When a player takes a common card they must take both cards. each team will draft 40 cards and then build the armies from the 40 drafted cards. The total for each team must not go over 1000 points. Different things you can do will earn you a victory point. Glyphs of brandor, solo possesion of desert islands or bridge, and taking over the enemys castle are examples of ways to earn victory points. The first team to a certain total wins. It will be possible to win without going near the other teams castle or killing off a player so you won't be able to win by turtleing in your castle

The largest source of Heroscape in Wyoming Washington, now selling loads of terrain.
Old March 26th, 2010, 06:05 PM

Sounds like a pretty cool setup.

Well, I got the terrain out and built Badru Valley, Arctic Divide, and Noctis. I still have stuff to build one more BoV map (any of them). I could also scrap Noctis and go with Vulcan, but I can only get up to four maps using the DnD stuff.

Of course, the way attendence seems to be going, we won't need that many maps. Sadly.

I had two people back out already. A friend has to be in Powell for something with the college, and one of my sisters just decided she wasn't interested anymore. Another two people said they would like to go, so right now my group is looking to be possibly 6, probably 4, definately 2. Have you heard from anyone else?

I was messing with the maps today, and I wanted to ask what kind of glyph pool we want to have. I know a lot of people don't like playing with the curse/revive glyphs, and some people don't like any one-time glyphs (summoning, healing). The equipment glyphs are also new and favor heroes. I don't know how most people feel about them.

Jugger

Old March 27th, 2010, 12:27 AM
how do I look?

my general rule on glyphs is that if they don't add anything to the map then they don't belong on it. Thats the view pretty much everyone in the Colorado group has and it seems to add to the fun. With that in mind, if Arctic divide is to have glyphs, which I don't really see a reason for, I think they should be move +2 and probably wind. for the map with the dungeon that you showed probably two treasures, or a common attack +1 and unique attack +1, but no doubt that it should have something. I'd like to have a map with lava on it somewhere and I don't particularly like the Badru Valley map. Really I'm cool with whatever you want. Most of the stuff is already being decided by me so it's only fair that you have ultimate choice on the maps and glyphs that you think are best, I'm just giving my thoughts since you asked.

As for attendee's, I have only one other for sure. There are many maybe's, to many to come up with a real estimate. The problem with most of them is they have a history of being very unreliable so realisticly I could have as many as 10 or as few as 2, there is just no way to really say. Thats why I just assume have several maps just in case. Also I expect that most of the people here that come would only be here for a few hours and not the duration.

One last thing, there is going to be a prize for someone awarded by me. I'm not taking up donations or anything for it, and it's not going to be much. It won't just be for having the most wins. Traveling far, being a fair player, and other things may be considered.

Next Sunday or monday I'll post links on the 2nd post for the maps you finally decide on and hopefully have my map done by then. Both castles as well as the road and bridge connecting them are finished and that is the hardest part, just a matter of filling in the mountains, glacier, swamp, water, and desert islands. Diminsions are 21 x 37 hexes

Old March 27th, 2010, 03:10 AM

Well I'm not super-attached to any of the maps I built, I just built those three because they were about the same dimensions and I could fit all three on our HeroScape board (we have a table-sized piece of plywood we keep our maps on so that we can move it to and from the table as it or the table are needed). We needed something to practice on, because we rarely play with such small armies on such small maps. Most of our stuff is 700-800 pts with between 2 and 6 players on one big map about 2.5' x 6'.

Actually, the maps from the BoV that most interest me are:
Highways and Dieways (1 RotV, 2 Road)
Ember Canyon Road (1 RotV, 1 Lava, 2 Road)
Hot Heights (1 Lava, 1 RotV)
Embattled Fen (1 Swarm, 1 Castle)
Road Rampage (1 Road, 1 RotV)
Flash Fire (2 Road, 1 RotV)

Then I want to make one of MadWookie's submissions with the DnD set.

I have 4 RotV, 4 RttFF, 2 Lava, 2 Snow, 1 SotM, 4 Castle, and 2 MS3's at my disposal. That looks to be enough for 5 or 6 maps, depending on what they are. I could do Ember Canyon Road, Hot Heights, Noctis, Embattled Fen, and Flash Fire, Highways and Dieways, or Road Rampage and another 1 Road set. I'll sign up to build whatever though, just let me know. Like I said, my experience with such small maps is very limited, and I've only played on a few of the BoV maps a couple of times. You know much better than I which the best maps would be.

Jugger

Old March 27th, 2010, 04:07 AM
how do I look?

well, a map only makes it into the BOV because they are the best of the best and aproved by some of the most knowledgable Herscape players in the world, though there are some I like better than others. Funny that you say 555 points is small armies because in most tournaments that would be considered large. I also like 600+ point armies with or without larger starting zones. The table space we have is two 3 foot by 3 foot tables. A large table that will one way or another fit two maps on it. A picnic table for the single largest map besides the multiplayer map. The rest are going to be improvised tables from plywood, boxes, or whatever else we might get our hands on. Since most BOV maps would fit on the tables I've mentioned we don't really need to think about the size of the maps. Get the ones decided and I'll work out the table space. Of the most recent ones you mentioned I'd like to say to build Hot Heights for the one (and only) lava map. The rest I leave to you. You have room for 5 maps without even bringing in the improvised tables.

Old March 27th, 2010, 11:36 AM

We can also bring a couple of folding tables. One's about 2.5' by 6' and the other is 3' squared.

I'll do Hot Heights, Noctis, Embattled Fen, Flash Fire, Highways and Dieways, and your choice from Elswin Plateau, Sidewinder, Can't See the Jungle, Arctic Divide, or Turret Rocks. Or whichever from those we need based on the number of people.

Jugger

Old March 27th, 2010, 02:13 PM
how do I look?

of those last ones I think Sidewinder or Arctic Divide so that we at least have one normal map with snow and ice. I'd have to say that I think Sidewinder is the better of the two. Also Sidewinder actually benifits from having glyphs. Arctic Divide seems might be better without the glyphs, they certainly don't add anything to the map though, I'll go with Sidewinder. I'll post links to them later. The next thing is the glyphs. Which maps won't need glyphs, which ones should be pre determined, and which ones would be good with random glyphs. I think Sidewinder would work with random glyphs from a selection of maybe 6

Old March 27th, 2010, 02:56 PM

Hot Heights- I think this one may need the glyphs, but I'm not 100% sure. Without them, I don't know why I would go on that side, that's why I think they may be necessary. I don't imagine it matters which glyphs they are though.

Noctis- needs glyphs predetermined. I played a game on this with random glyphs and one ended up being +2 defense. That, coupled with the shadows, is way too much. I think a +1 attack (common, uncommon, or regular) would be good as one, I don't know about the other.

Embattled Fen- needs a glyph to draw gameplay into the center.

Flash Fire- I don't know, probably at least the center glyph would be good.

Highways and Dieways- either or would be okay, I think.

Sidewinder- Like you said, needs glyphs. Probably a complementary pair (attack and defense, initiative and move, uncommon and common attack, etc.)

Generally, I like the enhancement glyphs more. The one-time use or the inhibitory glyphs (wind, thorian) aren't as much fun. Wannok is kind of cool, but I think it has to be a centralized glyph.

Jugger

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events