Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old June 28th, 2009, 02:11 AM

darkeye202 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Living Terrain

I've been a ghost on this site for what seems like forever, so I guess I'll break down and actually post something.

Anyway, I recently found a plant called an air fern, that doesnt require any soil, water, or any kind of real sunlight. So of course the first thing I think of is "Hey, that would look great on a map!" ...... Which it does

http://www.mileskimball.com/mileskim...es/p68750b.jpg

Unfortunately I can't upload a picture of the finished product, as I don't have a camera or any way to put the picture onto my computer. But I thought I would share my findings. By the way, I live in Florida, and I'm not entirely sure where this plant will grow...

My Map Thread

The 3rd: Look across the land. Everything you see that the light touches is mine.
Konohamaru: And one day it will be mine?!
The 3rd: Heh, heck no! I just like messin with ya.
Old June 28th, 2009, 02:12 AM

grock1942 is surprisingly tart
Re: Living Terrain

sounds like some sort of fungus, does it give seeds???
Old June 28th, 2009, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grock1942 View Post
sounds like some sort of fungus, does it give seeds???
No, no seeds of any kind. And as far as I know it is a type of fern... just a very odd one.
Old June 28th, 2009, 02:50 AM

Bloodthorn is surprisingly tart

Sorry guys, its not a real plant.

From Wikipedia:
Air fern or "Neptune plant" is a name given to a product that is in fact composed of a species of marine animal called Sertularia argentea, also known as the "sea fir".

These so-called "ferns" are dead and dried colonies of hydrozoans, colonies of marine hydroids, class Hydrozoa, phylum Cnidaria. Hydroids are related to corals and jellyfish.

These dried hydroid colonies are commonly sold as a curiosity, as a supposedly decorative "indoor plant", or as underwater decorations for aquaria in stores. They are sometimes labeled as "Neptune plants". Despite a superficial resemblance to plants, they are actually animal skeletons or shells. The dried colonies are often dyed green, but, when soaked in water, the coloring will dissolve.

The fernlike branches of S. argenta are composed of many small, chitinous chambers where individual animals once lived. When the colony was alive, a polyp with numerous tentacles occupied each of the chambers, called hydrotheca.

Also note that sometimes dried bryozoa are sold as "air ferns."[1]

Most commercially sold air ferns are collected as a by-product by trawlers in the North Sea.

Sorry to burst the bubble guys, but I agree that they do look cool.
Old June 28th, 2009, 12:15 PM

Well, thats a bit of a letdown... Ahh well, it worked for all intent and purpose.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles