Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Card Games
Card Games Including 'collectable' card games.

Old April 15th, 2008, 06:12 PM

ewabbie knows what's in an order marker ewabbie knows what's in an order marker
Question World of Warcraft Trading Card Game

I could not find any other threads about Wow TCG. Anyone play. Is it worth looking into? I have never really played any trading card games except Pokemon years ago with my kids. Not that I would compare it to Pokemon. It looks interesting on the web site so I may go get it.

Old April 15th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Good is Dumb

Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: World of Warcraft Trading Card Game

I bought a few decks and I haven't played more than a couple games. None of the local gamers at the game shop are interested in playing. I really enjoy how the game works, but IMHO you can find better places to spend your money. If you want to play the most fun card game ever, check out Munchkin. Very fun and funny game that makes fun of D&D.

Check out Gulp's Glyphs Not Worth Grabbing and Gulp's Abilities Not Worth Activating! Very Useful Thread: The Heroscape Library

"Heroscapers.com is not a charity site for the illiterate." -Gbob
Old April 16th, 2008, 07:44 AM

Smile Re: World of Warcraft Trading Card Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulp View Post
...check out Munchkin. Very fun and funny game that makes fun of D&D.
I d Munchkin and it does look pretty funny. I just ordered Descent which is my first dungeon game so after I play it awhile I will probably appreciate Munchkin more.

Old April 16th, 2008, 10:12 AM

zanter knows what's in an order marker zanter knows what's in an order marker zanter knows what's in an order marker

If you like ANY tcg, you will love WOW, if you play the MMORPG, you will love it more.
The mechanics solve all the problems with magic, and it is just drenched in theme.
Ask me anything you want to know.

I do art. Check it out.

http://insanelyzanter.deviantart.com/
Old April 16th, 2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanter View Post
If you like ANY tcg, you will love WOW, if you play the MMORPG, you will love it more.
The mechanics solve all the problems with magic, and it is just drenched in theme.
Ask me anything you want to know.
My sons are looking forward to trying it out. They are big MMORPG players. One has a level 66 the other 62. I only got to level 32 and just don't have the time to devote to it anymore. Anyway, they know all the lingo so I'm sure they will enjoy the TCG. We looked at it online and they are eager to play. We will probably play this weekend, it's suppose to rain Sat anyway so no paintball.

Old April 16th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Good is Dumb

Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

If they have someone to play with on a regular basis, then I would say go for it. I hope I don't discourage you away from a good game. I also tried to play the Game of Thrones card game, which I find to have a very interesting variation of ccg play. Unfortunately, like WoW ccg I just could never find someone to play.

BTW, if you are interested in trading for my WoW cards, send me a PM. I bought I think two or three of the decks, a couple boosters and the Molten Core set (which I would LOVE to play). I'm looking to fill in some of my sets of common squads, which I would like to have three of squad.

Check out Gulp's Glyphs Not Worth Grabbing and Gulp's Abilities Not Worth Activating! Very Useful Thread: The Heroscape Library

"Heroscapers.com is not a charity site for the illiterate." -Gbob
Old April 16th, 2008, 02:45 PM
is late for dinner.

Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby!

My brother and a friend and I each have a fair amount of WoW cards. I love the game and the gameplay, but it's hard to find time to play when I'm always away at college. I'd say if you want to get into the game, buy a couple starter decks because you get more for the price--a half-sized character deck plus two expansions. Plus the oversized cards that come with it are pretty cool. Some rules questions were a little sticky, though, so be sure to check the online resources for rulings if you get stuck.

I definitely recommend this game as a way to have a quiet get-together with a few friends if you have enough decks. It can easily be an all-evening event, especially if you buy one or more of the raid decks (Molten Core and Onyxia's Lair are the only ones I believe are out right now).
Old April 18th, 2008, 07:45 AM

Well we played our first game(s) last night and really had fun. The first game was a little rought learning the rules (and having some wrong cards in my hand). My 11 year old son kept reminding me why I couldn't play the card I wanted to put down.

Is there a good fan site to ask questions about some card rules? Or is just the Wow tcg fourm the best place for that.

Old April 18th, 2008, 10:40 AM
is late for dinner.

Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby!

You're probably best off sticking to the official forum if you don't know any Scapers-like enclave of fans. That way you can be pretty sure to find official rulings. I never got so into the game I had to visit a fansite, so I don't know if anything like Scapers exists for WoWTCG.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 08:15 PM

aquaone is surprisingly tart

WoWTCG is good if and only if you have a group of people to play it with already. It's quite different from M:tG, some feel better, some feel worse. Rarity and power level skew greatly so competitive play often requires a lot of cards that are difficult to get without buying singles. Most spells can't be shared across multiple decks... so the competitive game is quite different, from a collection standpoint.

The gameplay is quite interesting. You really have to hyper-focus your deck to win. It doesn't have as many control elements as M:tG so it's more a rush to see who can combo or aggro faster. You don't need to worry quite as much about resource management since any card can be played as a resource (unlike M:tG requiring land/artifacts). Typically the game is over ~turn 5 in competitive play.

There are a lot of interesting events put on by UD to promote the WoWTCG. If you do have an interest in the game I'd recommend checking out what they offer. There are lots of nice prizes and you don't even really need to win anything even to be eligible. There are also a lot of promotional items.

Lastly, One nice thing about the WoWTCG is the idea of Raid decks (although the loot pack thing pisses me off). Basically 1 player plays a "raid deck" while several players have to band together to try and defeat them. The raid deck will often have all kinds of "broken"/under-costed effects so you need diversity and co-operation to succeed.

I might enjoy WoWTCG more if it was cheaper (It's more expensive than M:tG for me) and if I had people to play with outside of the competitive scene. Since the only people I know that play have moved to Idaho or Kansas, I haven't touched it in about half a year.

I do still play a lot of M:tG though, but then again I'm a judge.

*insert witty catchphrase here*
Old April 22nd, 2008, 08:53 PM
is late for dinner.

Over in 5 turns? Amazing. I have trouble ending it in 15. Yeah, we're not competitive--it really helps to play for the fun of it, as many do with HeroScape. For raid decks, my friends and I drew up a set of "AI" rules for the bosses so we could all play against the raid deck. Basically it made the raid deck play more like a boss in the video game, and we could all play cooperatively. Since it wasn't competitive, we all could just vote what the boss would do in ambiguous situations.

Old May 6th, 2008, 08:41 PM

Played a game tonight and some questions came up

1. On the turn you put an Ally into play, I know you cannot attack but if the card says something like, all allies get +1 attack can you use that right away or do you have to wait for your next turn.

2. If you have two weapons in play can you use both of them in one turn or once you use one is your hero exhausted and you can only use the second weapon if you have a way of readying him.

Thanks

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Card Games