Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old September 19th, 2007, 03:18 PM

hoplite318 has disabled reputation
hoplite318's Custom Units & Cards (with fixed pics this

Hey folks,

Here are some of the custom units/cards I have been working on. I'm still pretty new at it, so the point costs may need adjusting. I've been working with HCC and try to adjust the costs, and any iput is greatly appreciated.

Anyway, I have figures for most of the cards and will post them once I can get some pics of them.

First off, when I got my animal and nature loving wife to finally try Heroscape (after years of trying to get her to try gaming) she said she wanted some kind of animal/beast army to go with the nature them of Ullar and the elves. So, since she really enjoyed Narnia....

Aslan

Emylaria

This one is actually my wife in game (and elf) form.... Yeah, I know...

Celestial Owls

Astral Badger

GrimJack

The Grinner, John Gaunt...known on the streets of Cynosure as GRIMJACK! One of my favorites from the 80's comic series.

From the dawn of time they came...
Connor MacLeod

Ramirez

Duncan MacLeod

From the "Sharpe's" Series
Richard Sharpe

Harper

And the legendary hero, Jim Bowie

More coming soon, including:
Davy Crockett
William B. Travis
Francis Marion, the "Swamp Fox" (with swamp abilities)
Athos
Porthos
Aramis
D'Artagnan
Blackbeard
Jack Rackham

Again, any input is highly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old September 19th, 2007, 03:37 PM

Alright, I can't get the images to work. What am I doing wrong?
Old September 19th, 2007, 05:26 PM

Nos13 has disabled reputation
I know mine works when it's a JPG, but I don't know about BMPs. Try saving them as JPGs, then try again.

Nos13 is a judge...
For the TNT Customs!
Customs!
Old September 19th, 2007, 11:29 PM

Thanks for the help, Nos!

I got them to work as jpg files.
Old September 20th, 2007, 09:03 AM

No problem! Great customs! I especially like Aslan (big Narnia fan myself). The owls don't sound too bad either! I'm a little worried about the Badger's "Astral Tunneling" though...

In any case, nice! I'll take a better look at them this afternoon. Keep up the good work!

Nos13 is a judge...
For the TNT Customs!
Customs!
Old September 20th, 2007, 03:10 PM

Ted has disabled reputation
Nice work, I am a highlander fan. The thing that worries me is the bonding issue. I am not sure how much power gaming you looked into this combo but if you put a marker on Emylaria you get to take a turn with a beast which can can choose Aslan, which lets you take a turn with a beast which in turn could let you take a turn with say Krug or Mimring. Now if you are cool with that then hey, but that is a lot of turn power for one army to be able to hold off. If instead you say you may move a beast its move or allow a beast so many spaces then that could help balance the several extra turns. Bonding can always create issues.
Old September 20th, 2007, 11:42 PM

I agree with Ted. If it was meant to be a multiple-bond ability, I think it's worded about right. If this is not the case, then it could say "move and attack with..." rather than "take a turn with." Limited bonding would also work.

And now that I have time I shall try and critique!

ASLAN
I think Aslan is already really great. I love the "Resurrection" ability, which I shall now say that is is a bit misspelled. The point cost may have to go up a bit, too. I'm also thinking of a more limited bonding with him rather than just "Beast." Maybe it shouldn't apply to Utgar, seeing as they are more evil than the rest...?

Not that it's my custom by any means. That is a cool fig, by the way. Where'd you get it?

EMYLARIA
Is this a series of Narnian customs? Because if it is, I'm confused. It may not be, but if it is, who is it? I was thinking since you had a badger and some owls, as well as Aslan, this might be someone too...

But enough of that. Right now I'm looking at her against Kelda, who is a lot like Emylaria (oohhh... I like how that just rolls off your tongue...) in many ways. With 1 less life and 1 less move and no "Flying" for 1 more attack, "Beast Bonding," "Dodge," and "Defense Aura," I'd say 90 would be pretty stable. 95 or 100 might even it out, though. We'll see in playtesting.

CELESTIAL OWLS
Ooh! Cool! Is this just one figure? Through the way you have the picture and the hitzones, it looks like one figure of two seperate owls. If there are two figures, you may want to space out at least the hitzones. There is also no green LOS area. I don't like the idea of "Beast" as both Species and Class. It does make sense, but not completely. The class should probably be changed.

I also don't like the wording of "Swoop Attack." Personally, I think adding a description of the special attack isn't as consistent with official cards and doesn't let the user's imagination run wild with "Oh, my, I wonder how that works out." IMO, if you want to add a description, a bio of the card could be added with the description in there.

I'm thinking 80 points may, again, be stable, but with a common squad and a special attack of 4 for each one, it might have to be raised. Again, we'll see what playtesting does.

ASTRAL BADGER
One big thing I don't like about this figure is the wording on "Astral Tunneling." The way I read it, it sounds like this guy can be taken off the board so he can't get hit by attacks for one turn, then on the next turn teleport to any place on the field as he sees fit, just not adjacent to an enemy figure (which should probably replace the word "Opponent"), then take a move of 5 to get adjacent to an enemy figure with an attack of 4, then do it again next turn. Perhaps something else would work, or maybe a marker could be placed on the field so the enemies know where the badger is going to climb up out of.

At any rate, if it's going to be something like that on a common hero, I think a raise in points should be made, by at least a little bit.

I don't know anything about the other people, but if you could give a bio or something, I'm sure we could help out with theme. As of now, I don't know who GrimJack is, or any of these Swordsmen, though they look kind of cool...

Anyway, nice!

Nos13 is a judge...
For the TNT Customs!
Customs!
Old September 23rd, 2007, 11:11 PM

Thanks guys for the input!

Hmmm....I see what you mean about the bonding issue. We use house rules that drop the use of turn markers and just use a simple turn based system, but even so I think I will have to tweak these to limit the abilities.

Also, I think I will rework the badger so that it can tunnel to any spot, but can't move again until it's next turn.

The Aslan figure is a D&D figure, the Blessed Hunter, I think. The owls (yes, there are two of them), the badger and the Emylaria figure are all D&D figures as well. I"ll post pics of the actual figures soon.

As far as Emylaria, while I did use Aslan and the idea of an animal army, I wan't going for an exact Narnia army - just something similar. Emylaria is a character of my own creation, based on my wife (whose name is Emily). She's a tree-hugger, so I started making an army she would like.

GrimJack is a character from an old 80's sci-fi comic series. Basically, he is from a world which is basically a world where various dimensions meet. Areas of the world are constantly changing as different dimensions phase in and out, and high tech combines with magic. Cynosure is the main center of this world, and the city is governed by the Trans Dimensional Police (TDP). At one point, a dimension opened that allowed demons and other similar beings to enter and a war broke out known as the Demon Wars. It was a brutal conflict, but the demons were defeated and life in Cynosure returned to normal. It is a tough, dangerous city.
John Gaunt was born in a violent slum area of Cynosure known as the Pit, and when he was a child (around 11 or so I think) he was forced into fighting in gladiatorial type games in the Arena. His arena name became the Grinner, and he was one of the best fighters ever to survive and leave the arena. Out on the streets, he established a reputation as a dangerous man, and gained the nickname GrimJack. He fought in the Demon Wars during which the woman he loved was killed. Following the war he joined the TCP, then after a falling out with his superiors, joined a secret military organization called Cadre. After quitting Cadre because of the corrupt leaders, he basically became a gun for hire. Tough, mean, and highly skilled in hand to hand combat.

The Immortals are based on the Highlander films and tv series, and Sharpe and Harper are from the Sharpe series of books and films and are British soldiers during the Napoleanic Wars.

And of course, Jim Bowie is going to be joined by customs of Davy Crockett and William Travis who were with him at the Alamo.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoplite318
Thanks guys for the input!

Hmmm....I see what you mean about the bonding issue. We use house rules that drop the use of turn markers and just use a simple turn based system, but even so I think I will have to tweak these to limit the abilities.

Also, I think I will rework the badger so that it can tunnel to any spot, but can't move again until it's next turn.

The Aslan figure is a D&D figure, the Blessed Hunter, I think. The owls (yes, there are two of them), the badger and the Emylaria figure are all D&D figures as well. I"ll post pics of the actual figures soon.

As far as Emylaria, while I did use Aslan and the idea of an animal army, I wan't going for an exact Narnia army - just something similar. Emylaria is a character of my own creation, based on my wife (whose name is Emily). She's a tree-hugger, so I started making an army she would like.

GrimJack is a character from an old 80's sci-fi comic series. Basically, he is from a world which is basically a world where various dimensions meet. Areas of the world are constantly changing as different dimensions phase in and out, and high tech combines with magic. Cynosure is the main center of this world, and the city is governed by the Trans Dimensional Police (TDP). At one point, a dimension opened that allowed demons and other similar beings to enter and a war broke out known as the Demon Wars. It was a brutal conflict, but the demons were defeated and life in Cynosure returned to normal. It is a tough, dangerous city.
John Gaunt was born in a violent slum area of Cynosure known as the Pit, and when he was a child (around 11 or so I think) he was forced into fighting in gladiatorial type games in the Arena. His arena name became the Grinner, and he was one of the best fighters ever to survive and leave the arena. Out on the streets, he established a reputation as a dangerous man, and gained the nickname GrimJack. He fought in the Demon Wars during which the woman he loved was killed. Following the war he joined the TCP, then after a falling out with his superiors, joined a secret military organization called Cadre. After quitting Cadre because of the corrupt leaders, he basically became a gun for hire. Tough, mean, and highly skilled in hand to hand combat.

The Immortals are based on the Highlander films and tv series, and Sharpe and Harper are from the Sharpe series of books and films and are British soldiers during the Napoleanic Wars.

And of course, Jim Bowie is going to be joined by customs of Davy Crockett and William Travis who were with him at the Alamo.
That helps a lot! The Highlander films I'll have to rent sometime, as it sounds like some crazy sword movie with a good plot! Hopefully that's the case...

I just noticed another thing, by the way. On GrimJack (which has been accompanied by a very nice sci-fi bio... that sounds really interesting!), it says "When making a ranged attack..." I don't completely like the wording on that; in fact, I think "When attacking a figure that is not adjacent" clicks easier in my mind. Not that your readers don't "get" what you're saying... In fact, my wording is probably more confusing than yours! But, IMO, I think it would sound more consistent if it was changed...

Just something to think about... And why do I have a sudden urge to google "GrimJack"?

Nos13 is a judge...
For the TNT Customs!
Customs!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards