Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old April 11th, 2008, 12:55 AM
how do I look?

lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby!
Ten 500 point armies for demo games

Here is what I put together to give some friends a variety to pick from. I tried to make them all evenly powerfull and following a theme of some sorth while still being quite capable of holding thier own in a real tourny. Input is welcome but remember that I'm just using what I have which is about 70% full collection but limited to 2 of each common.

1. Knights with a drop
2x knights of Weston = 140
Sir Gillbert = 245
Finn VC = 325
Tarn Vikings = 375
Airborne Elite = 485

2. Orcs with some fillers
Ornak = 100
2x Heavy Gruts = 240
Grimnak = 360
DW 8000 = 490
Isamu = 500

3. Vydar's ranged Enhancment
Laglor = 110
2x Microcorps = 310
Gorillinators = 400
Agent Carr = 500

4. Hatamoto dosn't suck!
Hatamoto Taro = 130
2x Tagawa Archers = 260
Kaemon Awa = 380
Izumi Samuri = 440
Shiori = 500
(so what if she's a ninja?)

Thats all the flag bearers, missing the elf

5. Vampires (or at least look like them)
Cyprien = 150
Sonya = 195
Runa = 315
Red skull = 505
(yes I know it's over thats ok, it's only 5 points)

6. Mr. Na's in charge
Su-Bak-Na = 160
Kee-Mo-Shi = 290
Marrden Nagrubs = 320
2x Marrden Hounds = 500
(I think this one is the strongest of the bunch)

7. MacDirk's extended family
Alastir MacDirk = 110
2x Macdirk Warriors = 270
SotM Raelin = 390
Thorgrim VC = 470
Eldgrim VC = 500

8. No damage dealers
2x Shades = 200
Ne-Gok-Sa = 290
Braxas = 500
(I kinda want to play this one myself, it could potentially win without doing a single point of damage)

9. Elves
2x Warriors of Ashra = 100
Saylind = 180
Syvarris = 280
Kyntela Gwyn = 300
Sonlin = 460
Theracus = 500

10. Synergy anyone?
DW 9000 = 140
Zettian Guards = 210
Warden 816 = 300
2x Anubian Wolves = 450
Dumuteg Guard = 475
Swog Rider as a filler since I only bought one forest pack = 500
Old April 11th, 2008, 01:02 AM

DarkBladeCB is surprisingly tart
If these are demo games, I'd really focus on maybe 300 point armies. The smaller armies with less figures that they have to learn how to use, the better. Nothing really jumped out and me scrolling down the list, but it's not by any means bad. There's also not a lot of range... is that intentional?

Also, I noticed you didn't really use any huge figures. Do you not have Nilf or Braxas? I find those two dragons are easy to play, look really cool, and really good... the perfect combo you need to hook people.

"Comics are a wellspring of imagination; comics can tell stories cheaply that other mediums cannot express. Today it costs $100 million to do special effects on film in 'Fantastic Four' that Jack Kirby could create 40 years ago with a pencil."
-Grant Morrison, at the New Yorker Festival
Old April 11th, 2008, 01:22 AM
how do I look?

lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby!
The first time we did this we played 400 point armies and the game was over in like 30 minutes thanks to Braxas. My point this time was to make armies tournament sized. I guess it's not really a demo, we want to play a real game, just the others are new and don't have any heroscape.

As for the lack of large figures, look again at armies 2, 6, 8, and 10, they are there, just not in domination.

As for the lack of Ranged attackers, only army #7 actually has none, all the others have at least one ranged attacker, or a special ability that has range. Since the map we will play on won't be overly large and will have a road, lack of ranged attacks wouldn't be much of an issue anyway
Old April 11th, 2008, 01:24 AM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
If these are first-time players, I'd give them a little demo of bonding before I started. I've never seen a new player look over the cards and pile all their markers on the bonding squad like we would do. Invariably they split their markers between the squad and hero and then feel dumb when they see they wasted some turns.

Oh, what about switching Tagawa Samurai in for Shiori and Izumi in the Hatomoto army?
Old April 11th, 2008, 01:31 AM
how do I look?

Thanks for the tip rdhight, I intended to talk about each army and the bonding before we start, in our first game we had no common squads and no bonding at all, we kinda planned it this way to get more into the squad usage for our 2nd game, one of the guys is his first time, but he is an experienced warhammer player so I think he won't have any problem. Tagawa would of been great if I had them, I do have Kozuke but that would have me way off on points
Old April 11th, 2008, 01:51 AM

feekonea has disabled reputation
IMO, #8 looks like some fun. Id definetly play that one.

great traders:

Hilo-scaper and NEMT

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion