Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Closed Thread

Old January 28th, 2008, 12:03 PM

royaldoy has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroc
Just want to give an opposing view here, though perhaps I should do this in a WOTC thread. New game mechanics with new terrain is all to the good, but how complicated is it going to get?
That's why there's basic rules. Besides how much complicated can it get?

I choose you...Isamu!
Old January 28th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Wizards of the Coast Staff Member

wotcpbarclay rolls all skulls baby! wotcpbarclay rolls all skulls baby! wotcpbarclay rolls all skulls baby! wotcpbarclay rolls all skulls baby! wotcpbarclay rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
WOTC: Are you going to continue trying to expand the fan base of Heroscape or are you going to focus more on the current fans?

The clearest answer would be a percentage of importance you put on current versious new fans.
I know you may not want to be clear because this could be seen as a loaded question, and it is, but my personal loading is different from what you may expect. I would be pleased to find out that while we are an important concern expansion is your primary focus. I hope to see a day when HS is in a Monopoly type of game. One everyone knows how to play (more or less).
In line with this I hope HS always keeps a focus on playability. Yea, special abilities are cool, but in the end of the day the game should be and is simple enough that you don't need to read the rule book before having a good time. (Contrast with D&D.)
Importance of current fans to the game's success: 100%.
Importance of gaining new fans to the game's success: 100%.

We need both, plain and simple. To that end, there's a fine line we have to walk between accessibility (simple, clear rules), and keeping people interested (clever, new mechanics).
Old January 28th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Wizards of the Coast Staff Member

wotcpbarclay rolls all skulls baby! wotcpbarclay rolls all skulls baby! wotcpbarclay rolls all skulls baby! wotcpbarclay rolls all skulls baby! wotcpbarclay rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies
For wotcPaul: Can you assure us that Heroscape is currently a profitable product?
Right this minute, it's profitable. We have some problems with some of our costs that we've got to get under control to keep it that way. It's not a major issue - we've solved much bigger cost problems before. Our aim is to make sure it'll be profitable for the next 5 years and beyond.

The real key to continued profitability is you guys. Getting your feedback is part of this. Another piece is going to be asking you to help us persuade store owners to carry it, and persuade players in those stores to pick it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies
I ask this having recently browsed the Dreamscape forums on WotC's site, particularly the thread discussing the cancellation of that game. It reminded me a lot of the doom & gloom threads we had going here before WotC's announcement. It also showed me that some people seem to think that your company has a habit of not supporting struggling games, a reputation I hadn't heard of before. The timing of the cancellation (Oct. '07) also seems to coincide with this transfer of Heroscape to your company. I guess I just want some assurance that this transfer wasn't just to fill some perceived void in WotC left by Dreamblade's cancellation, and that Heroscape will be treated better than that game was. Thanks.
Heroscape's transfer had nothing to do with Dreamblade at all. That cancellation happend way before anyone even thought of transferring Heroscape. However, I think you're right - we do have a habit of not giving enough support to games that are going through change, and that's a habit that I want to break us out of. (I don't want to use the term "struggling games" because Heroscape is definitely not struggling)
Old January 28th, 2008, 12:56 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Originally Posted by wotcpbarclay
Quote:
WOTC: Are you going to continue trying to expand the fan base of Heroscape or are you going to focus more on the current fans?

The clearest answer would be a percentage of importance you put on current versious new fans.
I know you may not want to be clear because this could be seen as a loaded question, and it is, but my personal loading is different from what you may expect. I would be pleased to find out that while we are an important concern expansion is your primary focus. I hope to see a day when HS is in a Monopoly type of game. One everyone knows how to play (more or less).
In line with this I hope HS always keeps a focus on playability. Yea, special abilities are cool, but in the end of the day the game should be and is simple enough that you don't need to read the rule book before having a good time. (Contrast with D&D.)
Importance of current fans to the game's success: 100%.
Importance of gaining new fans to the game's success: 100%.

We need both, plain and simple. To that end, there's a fine line we have to walk between accessibility (simple, clear rules), and keeping people interested (clever, new mechanics).

I think if more people got that concept it would make this thread a little easier on you.
Old January 28th, 2008, 01:11 PM

guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Another piece is going to be asking you to help us persuade store owners to carry it, and persuade players in those stores to pick it up.
I'm already working that angle. I've talked with people working the big stores on down to the local hobby stores, and anywhere I can find WotC products, like Barnes and Nobles. Now if only we could get Tractor Supply to pick up Heroscape. My 15% discount would save me a lot of money. (I don't think it'll happen, but it would be nice.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
Did you lose your saving throw vs. Fabulous?
B.U.D.
Old January 28th, 2008, 01:54 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth
Thanks for the replies, WotCPaul.

I didn't see this in the summary, so here's another question: Do you foresee any promotions that involve sending in proofs of purchase from Heroscape products? I'd like to know if I should just chuck out all these barcodes I've been saving.
Old January 28th, 2008, 01:54 PM

bad_calvin is surprisingly tart
Quote:
The real key to continued profitability is you guys. Getting your feedback is part of this. Another piece is going to be asking you to help us persuade store owners to carry it, and persuade players in those stores to pick it up.
Hey if you all are planning on starting an "outrider" team, or whatever WOTC wants to call it to demo in stores and such. Let me know where to sign up.
Old January 28th, 2008, 01:58 PM

Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_calvin
Quote:
Hey if you all are planning on starting an "outrider" team, or whatever WOTC wants to call it to demo in stores and such. Let me know where to sign up.
Same here!

DWARVES!
Old January 28th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Colorblind Kid

southwest ninja rolls all skulls baby! southwest ninja rolls all skulls baby! southwest ninja rolls all skulls baby! southwest ninja rolls all skulls baby! southwest ninja rolls all skulls baby!
I WOULD SOOOO BE FOR THAT AS WELL!
ill even bring my own stuff.

I SMOKE ROCKS!
Old January 28th, 2008, 03:03 PM

aerofool Woo who?
I've been sitting here for a few days just watching the posts. Most of my questions have been answered so far. I've just come up with a fairly simple question.

I'm sure we're in line to be getting the sand/mountain and swamp trees within the upcoming months. Has there been any inside talk on offering the other terrain types (grass, rock, water) and what will be the terrain extras in these packs? Grass with more trees? Painted grey glacier molds for the rock terrain? Water with some form of icebergs made from the large glacier molds?

I know some will possibly shun these ideas, but it is using what you already have to get some quick diversity in the pre-existing HS world. Besides, if RotV goes off the shelves for some time leaving SotM as the only master set available, I'm sure these terrain packs will be the easiest way for newer players to get the sand, and other land tiles, that they need. So what if you get a repainted rock with it? Over half the package is supposed to be about the tiles, anyway. At least that is the message I'm getting.

****! I must be having a bad week!
Old January 28th, 2008, 03:32 PM
assistant leader

skyknight is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla skyknight is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla skyknight is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla skyknight is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla skyknight is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla skyknight is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla skyknight is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla skyknight is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla skyknight is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla skyknight is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Quote:
Heroscape's transfer had nothing to do with Dreamblade at all. That cancellation happend way before anyone even thought of transferring Heroscape. However, I think you're right - we do have a habit of not giving enough support to games that are going through change, and that's a habit that I want to break us out of. (I don't want to use the term "struggling games" because Heroscape is definitely not struggling)

Wow, that is one of the most blunt statements I have ever seen a game company make. I absolutely love that kind of honesty and all others reading this thread should take note as well. If you are so willing to accept a fact like that and just expose it for what it is it definitely speaks highly of your credibility on these boards. A most excellent response sir That kind of brutal honesty will gain you my loyalty quicker than any product release.
Most of us over here seem to fall in the 20 or 30 plus male demographic and most can tell when they are having their chain pulled and when someone is being straight with us. Thank you very much for treating us with a proffesional attitude and respecting us enough to be honest with us. It is greatly appreciated.
Old January 28th, 2008, 03:52 PM
LNoE Hero or Zombie?

ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyknight
Quote:

Wow, that is one of the most blunt statements I have ever seen a game company make. I absolutely love that kind of honesty and all others reading this thread should take note as well. If you are so willing to accept a fact like that and just expose it for what it is it definitely speaks highly of your credibility on these boards. A most excellent response sir That kind of brutal honesty will gain you my loyalty quicker than any product release.
This is beyond anything I ever expected. I'm textless.

Environmentalists make great compost.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape News