Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla
Architects of the Realms of Valhalla Discussion and presentation of the maps approved by the ARV.

Old May 29th, 2017, 05:34 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Contest Thread: The Uncharted Wellsprings

Great submissions @rednax really like these maps!
Old May 29th, 2017, 05:51 PM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Map: Bountiful Grove HSC file
Requirements: 1 RotV, 1 TJ

Spoiler Alert!
Old May 29th, 2017, 05:58 PM

Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun

Well done @Robber , thanks for the submission.

These maps are all looking great everyone!! Really excited to score these with the other judges!
Old May 29th, 2017, 09:59 PM

master4sword knows what's in an order marker master4sword knows what's in an order marker

Looks like I won't have time to finish the other idea I had, but I've at least got one contribution!

Race for the Wellspring (PDF, HSC)
Requirements: 1 RotV, 1 RttFF, 1 TJ

Deep within the jungle, a wellspring has been discovered by Aquilla's scouts! But as forces are deployed to claim it, it quickly becomes clear that Utgar's scouts also found the wellspring...

Can the advance scouting force hold the spring until the rest of the army arrives? Or will one side gain full control of the wellspring and use it to turn the tide of the battle?

Spoiler Alert!
Old May 30th, 2017, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by master4sword View Post
Looks like I won't have time to finish the other idea I had, but I've at least got one contribution!

Race for the Wellspring (PDF, HSC)
Requirements: 1 RotV, 1 RttFF, 1 TJ

Deep within the jungle, a wellspring has been discovered by Aquilla's scouts! But as forces are deployed to claim it, it quickly becomes clear that Utgar's scouts also found the wellspring...

Can the advance scouting force hold the spring until the rest of the army arrives? Or will one side gain full control of the wellspring and use it to turn the tide of the battle?

Spoiler Alert!
thanks for the submission! Definitely stretches the imagination with that unique design.
Old May 30th, 2017, 04:22 AM

1 Day!! Left before the deadline. I know there's a few of you out there still lurking or working on your maps ( @Yodaking @NecroBlade )Also, keep in mind you're allowed 2 submissions!
Old May 30th, 2017, 01:15 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Background
Spoiler Alert!

Jungle Cave Bio – After Utgar had spared Snert from certain death, and in doing so had brought him to this new world, Snert was determined to show Utgar his gratitude. So when the order came down for him and his fellow goblins to search the caves below, he vowed not to return without something significant. Even among his fellow goblin kind, Snert was considered small in stature and so he squeezed down holes and between cracks in the ground others would have just passed by. As his fellow goblins turned back, Snert delved farther and deeper into the darkness. His persistence paid off when he came upon a jungle where it should not have been. The roof of the cave complex had caved in long ago, allowing sunlight, rainwater, and seeds to fall where none had been before. That alone would have made for an interesting report but Snert could sense that there was something mystical about the place as well, so he investigated further and discovered a wellspring of power. Snert was giddy with excitement thinking about all the ways Utgar would reward him for this find, but first he had to find his way back out and Snert had gotten himself a little turned around.

When at last he came to a cave entrance again, it was daytime and the light hurt his eyes. He could see a giant sitting in the entrance way and a drow elf leaning against the wall though, so he was quick to share his news.

“I’ve found it!, I’ve found it! Tell Utgar, I’ve found it!”

“Found what?” came the reply.

“A wellspring! I’ve found an undiscovered wellspring. Utgar must be told at once.”

The giant stood up and the elf detached from the wall, “Where?”

“Deep within the caves, a jungle can be found. Snert can show you the way!”

Snert then came to a sudden stop. Now that the giant was standing he did not look so much like the Frost Giants he had served with before, and as the elf left the shadows it became clear he was not a drow at all. These were Ullar’s forces, not Utgars. He quickly scurried off behind a rock, knowing he had just made a grave mistake. Even among his fellow goblin kind, Snert was considered dim in nature. Snert fled back into the caves, terrified at what Utgar might do to him should he find out what he had done. Snert knew he must find another way out of these caves fast though, for a race to gain control over this newfound wellspring had begun.

Map - The Jungle Cave
Spoiler Alert!

Map Features
Spoiler Alert!

Play Test
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by Yodaking; May 30th, 2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old May 30th, 2017, 02:09 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Background
Spoiler Alert!

Island Wellspring Bio– The sea had always been an important resource for her people, those who lived among the chain of islands off the coast of Haukeland, but for Valannette it held a particularly strong draw. She was taking her own little fishing boats to sea alone when other children were playing games, and became the youngest cargo ship captain her island home had ever produced. When war came to Valhalla, Capt. Val feared what Utgar might do to her beloved sea should he emerge victorious, so she began supporting any forces that opposed him with timely shipments of supplies to the front lines of coastal fronts in the war. Soon enough she was ferrying troops about as well, quickly moving warriors up and down the coastline to where they were needed most, even landing some troops behind enemy lines as part of a daring surprise attack.

Soon enough war had erupted on the seas themselves, but Mother Nature still remained the greater danger. A summer storm blew in while she was far from land, catching her crew up in a fight with a hurricane while on open water. Capt. Val isn’t quite sure how she survived, considering her ship was completely lost, but she found herself washed up on a tiny little knob of land. After looking around she knew where she was, it was just a sliver of land sticking up above the sea that she had passed a dozen times before. Too small to build any meaningful structures on, and seemingly lacking anything of value, it had long ago been regulated to the role of a landmark for those who sailed the seas and nothing more. Truly surprised she was then to discover two fresh water wells at the top of the island. Drinking deeply, and thankful she would at least not die of thirst, a new even more startling revelation came to her. After drinking from a well, the winds themselves seemed to change directions and intensity. Hope sprung forth and Capt. Val fell a few of the trees growing on the island to begin building a crude raft. All the while she continued to drink from the well and experiment with the power it bestowed. Once she felt she was ready to launch, she rigged up a simple sail, filled her flask full of the magical water, and used her new found control over the winds themselves to push her raft out to sea and towards safe harbor.

The journey was harrowing and when she first spotted another ship she rejoiced, thinking she would be saved. But as the ship drew near, her glee turned to fear, for the ship was manned by orcs and its flag flew the sigil of Utgar. Desperate to get away she used her control over the wind to turn back the ship, throwing it off course while she blew her own sail in the opposite direction. While it worked initially, her flask soon ran empty and the orc captain had continued to turn his ship around and give chase. With her power over the winds having evaporated with the water, she was soon overtaken and captured. The orc captain was clever enough to know she was responsible for the strange actions of the winds and tortured her endlessly seeking answers to his questions. While Capt. Val was as tough a sea captain there was, she eventually broke and revealed what she had discovered. The orc captain then changed course and set sail for a mainland port Utgar’s forces controlled. Her captivity didn’t last long once they had reach land though, as Einar’s forces attacked and captured the port soon after, but the orc captain had already sent word ahead to Utgar. Now the race was on, for whoever controlled the winds controlled the seas, and an island no one had paid any mind to before had just become the most valuable patch of land around.

Map - The Island Wellspring

Spoiler Alert!

Map Features
Spoiler Alert!

Play Test
Spoiler Alert!
Old May 30th, 2017, 02:20 PM

The Jungle Cave Looks great @Yodaking ...really appreciate the map features explanation...really shows you've taken time to work this map. I must say, - generally speaking - I HATE the Thorian glyph. BUT I'm excited because I think you may have found a masterful and balanced way to incorporate it (at least in theory anyway). And I'm all for finding balanced ways to incorporate features that aren't typically used. By allowing the Thorian glyph to counter the near startzone height you've created a very interesting map design. Well done.

I'm loving how creative these maps have been for this contest, very impressed with everyone.

EDIT: Very unique map build...LOVE the backstory and the idea that the Marvel pieces are landing crafts full of soldiers...very creative.
Old May 30th, 2017, 03:30 PM
C3G Landlord

Thanks! I figured I would need to explain my thinking with these unorthodox maps, and while I'm sure I won't convince everyone of their potential, but I must say I really enjoyed working on them. I tried to create something new and interesting as I believe that was the goal of the ARV, to breath new life into the old tournament map building conventions. I know others have really challenged the standard ideas of what makes a good tournament map as well, A Common Barrier by master4sword really stands out to me as one such example. So in that respect, I believe the ARV has wildly succeeded. Congrats to all of you and much respect for organizing these contests.
Old May 30th, 2017, 06:20 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Nice map YK.
Old May 30th, 2017, 07:05 PM
C3G Landlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Nice map YK.
Thanks T! Which one?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla