Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old September 1st, 2014, 06:46 PM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGalahad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGalahad View Post
outdoor
Never heard of it.
You should definitely try it sometime. I hear it's supposed to be healthy.
And some of the graphics are amazing!
I dunno. I hear there are a lot of balance issues.
The rulebook is a mess also. I am waiting on a FAQ/Errata, until then, filtered air and board games for me.
Old September 1st, 2014, 06:54 PM

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Hey Dad_Scaper. Did you get into that Shadowrun game at GC?
If so, how did it go?
KS hadn't played an RPG before, so I signed us up to try it on the Thursday afternoon of GC. We ended up liking it so much that we squeezed in two more sessions plus a couple of hours, between two visits, finishing and polishing our characters.

I'm looking forward to the next opportunity to wheel out his summoning Mage and my sniper Adept, but it may be awhile. How was your RPG?
@Dad_Scaper You and KS should give Edge of the Empire a try.

Played, and lost, more Star Realms today. My 7 yr old is continually stomping me. I may have found a reason though. During one game, she dealt herself the same two cards four times through her deck. I may need to start shuffling for her.

We squeezed in a small 3-player C3G Heroscape battle this morning. I had Weather Wizard and Mysterio, CatScaper had the Power Pack and LoB fielded Ant-man, Wasp, Ants, and Killer Bees. CS won with a 1 life Zero G.
Old September 1st, 2014, 07:25 PM

rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness

A weekend at the lake cabin with the family and some friends provided several gaming opportunities. Played Craig Van Ness' 2002 Rollercoaster Tycoon the Boardgame a couple times. I knew nothing about it, but couldn't resist the theme and $1.50 price tag (and it was complete and well cared for to boot) at my local Goodwill, and it turned out to be a hit with the wife and kids.

Other games included several plays of No Thanks! and Hanabi, DC Deckbuilding Game, and Pandemic.
Old September 1st, 2014, 08:45 PM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!

Outdoors: Yep, I tried it. I decided to play solo to make certain I was playing correctly. Hiked a total of 6 miles at South Cumberland round-trip. I took the Grundy Forest trail to the Fiery Gizzard trail head, hiked Fiery Gizzard to the point where the Dog Hole trail leads out of the gorge (the standard way up is to follow Fiery Gizzard which is more strenous, but I'm not in good enough shape for that), then followed the Dog Hole trail along the top to a nice overlook. A brown butterfly found me an interesting presence, as it landed on my finger and then my pants leg and began probing with its antennae. That satisfied my Secret Objective, giving me a net score of 0.3.

I wish I lived closer, because I need a strenous trail like that to get me in the hiking shape I was in back in 2004-2006 when gas was less expensive.

Sigh.

Tile Chess
This is a game that's out of print, but it will be republished by Steve Jackson Games. Neat feature: It's easy to simply play it using chess pieces I already have and my Chessex Battle Mat (with the 1" square grid). That's why I was able to give this game a trial run.

My dad and I played the quick variant where each side only gets one of each standard piece, plus three pawns. You take turns placing a piece on the grid, with the King being placed last. The trick: all pieces have to be connected (diagonals count as adjacent).

Then you take turns. The trick: you may not move a piece in such a way that breaks the connection of all the pieces. Second trick, because you've been good: pawns move in either of four directions orthogonally and capture in either of four directions diagonally. Pawns are also subject to the restriction of not being able to break the continuous connection of all the pieces. Want a third trick? You're really making me work for this, aren't you? Ok, ok, you deserve it: your Queen/Rook/Bishop can move through friendly pieces.

I only played as two players, but the game actually supports up to 6, I believe (the reprint will only support 4 players with the provided components). When a player captures another player's King, all that losing player's remaining pieces on the table are controlled by the conquering player.

You really have to play this yourself to see how wild this variant can be. We found ourselves constantly pinning some of our pieces by putting them where they couldn't move away without breaking the connection.

The game also indicates that you can combine this with Knightmare Chess. This is scheduled to be re-released in October. I have Knightmare Chess: Second Edition, but I don't have the expansion Knightmare Chess 2. The reprint will include both sets together, so I'll definitely get this when it's released.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 10:47 AM

Looking forward to the Knightmare Chess reprint @davidlhsl . Tile Chess sounds fun also, I will have to check it out.

Everyone, I need a list of games that would be suitable for a 6th grad boardgame group. Mainly that would support 4+ players and be setup, played, and put away in an hour. I don't think I have many games that fit this other than Compounded, King of Tokyo, and DC Comic card game. I am sure I am going to hear "Resistance!" (in my best French accent), but my son is not a back stabber and I want him to be able to use this as a way to make friends at his new school. Thanks in advance and sorry if it clogs up the thread.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 10:53 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I would avoid as much as possible games that have a traditional turn structure (I'm looking at you, King of Tokyo).

Yes, Resistance is good, but so is Bananagrams. Also Say Anything works great for that age group. Check out Wil Wheaton's Tabletop video for that game; use his simplified house rule for scoring. Also Bang. Did you get in on Pairs? That KS looks good for this purpose, too. It's shipping soon. Sheriff of Nottingham, when it hits store shelves, would be excellent. It has lying but not backstabbing.

Zombie Dice, Spot It. Not Munchkin! It takes too long!

edit: Telestrations. Not Apples to Apples, it's inferior to Telestrations & Say Anything.

edit 2: Ok, /maybe/ King of Tokyo, because of the monsters & stands & whatevers. My concern is the wait time between turns at 4-6 players, with a bunch of kids who may not be very patient. Also, maybe /not/ Zombie Dice. It's a good game for 15 minutes, but not for a whole session. And Love Letter plays 4 perfectly well.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; September 2nd, 2014 at 11:40 AM.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 12:19 PM

I forgot about Say Anything, we love that one. Thanks for reminding me @Dad_Scaper . I didn't think about Bang either. It was fun with the New York gang. I know X-Wing will be the first thing LoB will want to take, but I fear the ships getting destroyed/pocketed. It definitely is fun with a bunch of people running into each other and it has the wow factor that would suck 6th graders in. I am tempted to try and set up a @legoboy style Heroscape deal, but will wait for the group to form and test the waters.

Edit: What about Ravenloft and Drizzt? I haven't played in a while, are they an hour or more?

Edit2: Zombicide? I doubt that can be done in an hour though.

Last edited by Gurei-Ornery; September 2nd, 2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 12:35 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Heh, Sherriff of Nottingham totally has room for backstabbing.

Carcassonne can be a shorter one if no expansions are used.

Bohnanza is a blast with 3+ players and I think it plays in about an hour.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old September 2nd, 2014, 12:42 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post
Edit: What about Ravenloft and Drizzt? I haven't played in a while, are they an hour or more?
Depends on the scenario, but any of the three will probably take at least an hour for most scenarios.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post

Carcassonne can be a shorter one if no expansions are used.

Bohnanza is a blast with 3+ players and I think it plays in about an hour.
Thanks @capsocrates , Bohnanza looks like it would be hilarious.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 12:57 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Bohnanza is fun for sure G-O. Been awhile since I've played it, but I've enjoyed it.

Space Beans is also fun and by the same designer.

Incan Gold is a light push your luck game that can accommodate up to 8 players I believe. Not much set up time.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old September 2nd, 2014, 01:00 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Hmm. Not like The Resistance, it doesn't. Encouraging someone to open a bag when it's not in his best interest to do so is a long way from telling someone that he is a spy, when in fact you are the spy. The rules provide you do not have to keep promises for future favors in SoN, but they also say that you do otherwise have to honor your end of a bargain. The Resistance has no such restriction, and wouldn't function if it did.

From what I've read about Bohnanza, it's an excellent suggestion. I've never played, though.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games