Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old January 21st, 2007, 01:02 PM

heroscaper2.0 has disabled reputation
Dude, that is probably the best campaign idea I've heard on this site, so far, I don't think you need to improve.
Old January 21st, 2007, 02:09 PM
Doesn't need a special title anymore

Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness
This idea has been suggested in the past, but so far not much has been done with it. You'll find more ideas about Heroscape multiple-battle campaigns here:

Heroscape Campaigns
Heroscape Risk
Heroscape extended conquest campaign using Valhalla Map
Old January 21st, 2007, 05:21 PM

elphiecoyle has disabled reputation
Fantastic responses!

Thanks for the encouragement Heroscaper2.0, and thanks for the idea pools u linked me to Elstree. I'll try and draw the best and continue to round out the campaign into something complete that can hopefully go in the next codex or the one after.

Cheers guys,
Elf.

ps any more ideas are welcome!

-=ElphieCoyle=-

Contribute to the -=Ultimate HS Experience=- http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=14865
Old January 22nd, 2007, 04:40 AM

Hey Guys i'm creating a new Post for this idea as:

1. Its gotten heaps bigger that I originally intended (its a good thing though)
2. I haven't heard from Sandman on his request.
3. Lex replying, quoting my massive post, has made this page too huge.
4. the big map picture is too much for those dial-uppers to d/l each time they come here.

Pls post any ideas on the new page.

Cheers,
Elf.

-=ElphieCoyle=-

Contribute to the -=Ultimate HS Experience=- http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=14865
Old February 3rd, 2007, 05:30 PM

Sandman has disabled reputation
Elf,

I really like the idea. I have to work through the rules a few more times to try to help troubleshoot them. At first glance, though, it seems that you are really onto something sweet here. Your idea is a bit different than what I had in mind. Here's some quick feedback on first read through the rules:

1. Most importantly, I would be interested in pursuing this idea with you and discussing working with you to wrap it into a Codex contribution. I can convert to PDF and have some nice editing software. We'll talk about that later.

2. I like the idea of keeping experience and continuity of armies.

3. I like the general and personal bodyguard idea.

4. It seems at first glance that it might be hard to play out if it requires having tons of maps/boards pre-made at any given time. Or would you have to quickly build each map whenever a battle occurs. I may be a bit foggy on this, and it may be a simple misunderstanding on my part. I'll re-read the instructions.

5. I LOVE the map idea.

6. I would think that ideally you/we could come up with a complete recommended mapset for the game and include it with submission to the Codex. I might even be so bold as to suggest 1 and 2 MS mapsets!! We would get permission from custom map authors and include them in the credits!! Lets get some of the best-of-the-best custom maps recognized too, eh? In fact, I have one that I'd love to recommend!

7. Um, that's it for now. But, Elf, I'm pretty pumped. Oh, one more thing: I was thinking that maybe the map/battles could somehow occur one per week/gaming session. Then you could post the map and mark who controls which lands. Again, maybe this is already addressed. If so, I'm sorry.

Later,

Sandman

PS feel free to PM me again and let me know if I can be any help to you. I mean, maybe you have some specific needs (like the PDF formatting) or other specific playtesting needs that I could help with.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 05:47 PM
Forum Moderator

ChilliDog knows what's in an order marker ChilliDog knows what's in an order marker ChilliDog knows what's in an order marker
This is a great idea, and one that has crossed my mind before. Eplh, kudos on that huge post lol, sounds great. I'd love to see what this turns into.

Guess who's back, back again? Chilli's back. Tell Skahen.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 06:25 PM

Oh yeah baby! I'm already digesting these rules and compiling feedback and ideas. You've struck the goldmine on this one Elf!

Gotta run now though. I'm hosting my first adult Heroscape game night at my home in Buffalo, NY in minutes. Of course, it's a complete blizzard outside (white-out). LOL.

Wish us luck.

--Sandman
Old February 3rd, 2007, 10:06 PM

DarkDino Woo who?
You could always do it where you have a map and take "campaign turns" where one army CHOOSES where to attack(map)

Old February 4th, 2007, 08:39 AM

Feedback ad nauseum

Brace yourself! This is my line by line analysis of Elf's proposed HeroScape Wars 2.0 ruleset:

1. Campaign Mode (big map) and local battlefield is a GREAT idea.

2. Players then place their General (whenever mentioned from now on also includes their personal guard and other locals recruited) on a land of their choosing by first rolling a 20 sided die and each player placing in progression around the circle.

The bold/underlined sentence is confusing to me. Do you mean that you can only place dragons on the Table of Giants to start the game? Please clarify.
3. I donít know Risk2 for PC. Iíve played the boardgame though.
4. I donít understand ďlocalsĒ when you talk about moving points from one area to another.
5. OK, now I understand. This sentence says it all:

Players draft an army dependant on where the local points are originally from (see list below map). They must only use the points they bring into the land (for the attacker/s) or the points currently in that land (for the defender) to choose armies for the battle.
6. Hereís my initial input. I think it would be easier to allow players to recruit ANY figs they want with points they move into the territory. I think using ďlocal bonusesĒ would work easier. For example, if you said that any dragons on Table of the Giants are considered ďlocalsĒ then they get a certain bonus. Maybe +1 attack or +1 range or whatever. In fact, the LocalBonus could be different for each unit type. E.g. On Table of the Giants dragons get +1 attack, orcs get +1 def, and elves get +1 range. Just an idea.
a. The theme of HeroScape is that a wide mix of characters from the past, present and future can be at any and every battle because they are teleported into the area by their Valkyrie General. I also think that, practically speaking, it might be too cumbersome to keep track of too much stuff on the Campaign Map. Iím not saying it couldnít work the way you described, but Iíd personally prefer a system that still used the Campaign Map but didnít require diverting too much time at all from playing HeroScape itself.
b. Another idea would be that you donít need your general to attack, but if you have him or her then you get a certain bonus. This, again, could be map specific and might even be reasonably significant, similar to the bonuses allowed by Glyphs. I.e. the bonus would apply to all friendly units for this battle.
7. I think there may be difficulty with the need to have tons of pre-made battlefields. Building lots of maps during an evening of gaming can also be pretty time consuming. We want people to be able to pick this up and include it in their gaming nights simply, quickly and easily. HeroscapeWars could still provide an awesome backdrop Campaign for the traditional game night which probably only involves one map per night.
a. Idea 1: Have players take turns each week selecting a battlefield of their choice. Another guy on the thread mentioned the same thing. So did the guy I played HS with last night. You then would play that map that week. Weíd have to think how to keep track of which units are where. Maybe there could be an email component to it that could involve movement of units. Iím still not sure how to do this, let me think on itÖ
b. Idea 2: we could drop the idea of keeping track of which units are where on the campaign map. Each week would rotate to a different map in a preset order. Each week you recruit new armies for that battlefield. If you win a battle then you can mark that you control it on the campaign map. You also would get some sort of bonus for the future.
i. Hereís an idea: you earn victory points for winning battles. Then you could buy certain bonuses (similar to glyphs) by saving up enough points. Examples might include: spell type powers, single-use bonuses, etc. I DONíT think that the victory bonus should be extra recruitment points. I also think the bonuses canít be too powerful so they donít turn the tide of entire battles. They should be fun and maybe helpful when played correctly but they canít be as powerful as regular glyphs for example.
ii. My HS buddy last night suggested the great idea of including carry of ITEMS that you could capture and earn in battles. An individual unit would have that item and carry it with them into future battles if they survive. Then, if they die later, the item gets dropped where they are on the map for others to pick up and use. My friend said heíll send me a ďgear listĒ that he found online that maybe we could incorporate.
c. Actually, my original vision of Campaign Mode was closer to idea 2 above. We can talk about it later and decide which direction to take. What I mean is that I like the idea of keeping the Campaign Map part as a way to keep track of who won which battles, which units get bonuses on that territory, to provide a very cool visual backdrop to the games (the map DOES look really cool!), and to help determine which battle map will be used each week.
8. OK, in terms of the victory conditions for each battle, I think we could mix it up here too. I suggest that each time you play a map the victory condition changes, or at least rotates through a preset # of options. For example, the first time you play T.O.T.G., itís a slug-fest/ last-man-standing. Next time, itís to gain control of a certain hex. I think we should look closely at the HeroScape Quests ruleset and see if we could plug them in here. We also should look at unique glyphs and gear rules.
9. We should also provide at least recommended maps for each of the territories. This would be nice for folks who arenít as motivated to research tons of maps. We could recommend our favorites and let them modify as they see fit. Iíve got 2 maps for sure that Iíd recommend.
10. What is -=Heroscape Advanced Ruleset=-? Does it have something to do with the general being captured? If itís an official custom ruleset, maybe you could send me a copy.
11. I like the idea of expanding the ďlocalsĒ for each map, especially for the purpose of gaining unit bonuses on particular maps. We could ideally get a full unit list (through wave 6) and include many of the unit types, not necessarily all, on the ďlocalsĒ list.

OK Elf, get back to me on this input. Iíll be happy to pursue it with you. Anyone else may feel free to contribute ideas/input.

--Sandman
Old January 17th, 2008, 02:31 AM

Reviving this post due to interest from GreyOwl

Oh mys! I'm feeling so bad for not checking back on all of Sandman's awesome input, Are you Out there Somewhere Sandman????

-=ElphieCoyle=-

Old January 17th, 2008, 02:39 AM

Another Oh my lord hit me, to get around what to me was the biggest obstacle, having to make new maps heaps, we could just use the modular maps system!

-=ElphieCoyle=-

Old January 17th, 2008, 10:48 AM

DarkDino Woo who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphiecoyle
Another Oh my lord hit me, to get around what to me was the biggest obstacle, having to make new maps heaps, we could just use the modular maps system!
That's a great idea, and you could say that this map uses idk, 50 modular mpas, or 40 or whatever. Great idea!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions