Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Old August 11th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth
Re: Dungeons and Dragons: Endless Quest

Do you know the names of those Marvel books Tablewalker? Or the publisher?
Found it. http://www.gamebooks.org/show_series.php?id=261

jschild I will look through my collection after work and throw out some suggestions.

Here is a link to a list of original CYOA series. I did not know they had a Star Wars series. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...dventure_books

Here is a crazy massive list of these sorts of books.
http://www.gamebooks.org/list_series.php

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey

Last edited by Tornado; August 11th, 2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old August 11th, 2011, 02:21 PM

Gatehop-Quickfingers Woo who?

Tornado, if you like the Soulforge, I recommend you pick up some Dragonlance books. I can suggest some of the best ones, if you're interested, just PM me or respond to my Dragonlance Anyone? thread!

I appreciate the list you made, can't wait to get started when my dad gets back from work!

Thanks again!

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud."
1 Corinthians 13:4

"Why insult the door's purpose by locking it?"
-Famous Kender Proverb
Old August 11th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatehop-Quickfingers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishnakh View Post
If you like that sort of stuff you guys should look into Dark City Games. The rules are simple, playable, and free. Each scenario is a programmed adventure that costs $12.95 each. If your interested I can tell you which ones are the best, I've played them all.

http://www.darkcitygames.com/
Thanks Grishnakh!

I tried out the free sample just barely,Orcs of the High Mountains, but didn't have any dice on me and hadn't read the rules, so I didn't know some of the RPG terminology.

It was quite fun, but, currently, I can't be dropping thirteen dollars daily for a Role Playng Game, as fun as it is. I have to pay off my guitar right now; I'm lucky I was able to buy the books off Kijiji!

Thanks again, though...maybe once my guitar is paid, I can try it out!
I ran an expanded version of Orcs of the High Mountains complete with miniatures at a local convention. Had an absolute blast. It's great that the rules and this scenario are free on their website.

My Custom Terrain Thread: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...read.php?t=448
My tribute site to TFT/Melee & Wizards: http://www.meleewizards.com/
Old August 11th, 2011, 07:28 PM

Gatehop-Quickfingers Woo who?

Hey!

My dad just got back from work, and I started on one of the books. It's called Spell of the Winter Wizard and I won! Woohoo!

Not sure there was a scenario in the way I took, but apparently there's a frost giant if you take the right way. Definitely justifies a few re-reads! Not a bad book, but don't buy it if you're expecting a good, solid novel...it took me no more than ten minutes to read, because you skip many pages at once when making decisions!

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud."
1 Corinthians 13:4

"Why insult the door's purpose by locking it?"
-Famous Kender Proverb
Old August 11th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

OK, I looked through my collection and have some suggestions jschild.
For younger readers the Endless Quest books Gatehop is reading are a nice start. After that I would try Wizards, Warriors, and You by R.L. Stine and published by Avon Books circa 1984. These are slightly more complex then standard CYOA because you choose a character (Wizard or Warrior) and then your Spells or Weapons. These are neat because you can go back and reread it with the other character or different spells/weapons.
Next would be Golden Dragon Fantasy Gamebooks a Berkley/Pacer book circa 85/86. These have a character sheet and you roll dice but are geared towards younger readers.
These next few are what I would consider normal level for these kind of books. All have character sheets.
Fighting Fantasy are the best, I mentioned them above.
Lone Wolf series will suck you in through two full series. These are great because it is the same character in a continuing story where he develops new abilities along the way.
Grail Quest was another one where you were the same character. I loved these books but I believe the last two were never released in the U.S. Long live PiP
Sorcery Series also by Steve Jackson. Four books plus the spell book. Very cool but be a wizard because I believe there are two points where only the wizard can win. This one was unique in the fact you had to memorize your spells and could not refer to the Spellbook during gameplay.
Another interesting series was called Combat Heroes, another B/P book '86. These required two books of opposing characters and were read at the same time, very cool format.
Lastly those advanced books were called A Crossroads Adventure by TOR '87. It looks like they had quite a few good authors involved. Anne McCaffrey, Piers Anthony, David Drake, and L. Sprauge de Camp to name a few.
If you decide to get into any particular series, let me know and I will let you know my favs. Good luck tracking these down and I hope your son and hopefully you enjoy them.

@Gatehop. I have always been a Dragonlance fan without ever reading the novels. I have listened to some on audio book though. If you are a fan then you must get Soulforge and The Prisoner's of Pax Tharkas (It was not the story I thought but is based on Dragonlance). There was an AD&D Dragonlance module series. One of them was actually a massive board game where you played out the War of the Lance. My all time favorite game from my youth. Also did you know there is a Dragonlance cartoon/anime? It is pretty decent and Keifer Sutherland is the voice of Raistlin.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey

Last edited by Tornado; August 11th, 2011 at 09:11 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books