Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old August 10th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!
Re: Improved heat of battle rules

The only beef I had with the entire HoB event at Gencon was that it made 4-figure squads slightly more powerful as the players can place them in a larger "keep-out" zone than before as your opponent can't place them adjacent.

What I saw happen was that people with 4th Mass can place their figures on a large high-ground space on one turn and completely block it off, then do it again on the second turn on another space and it ends up less like heat of battle and more like "the first person to place has a larger advantage".

Other than that, I likey!

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old August 10th, 2010, 09:23 PM
how do I look?

lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
What if thee was a way to make HoB a hybrid?

Meaning you place 1/2 of your units in the battlefield and the balance in the start zone.

Kind of like the guys in the start zone just showed up in the middle of the fight.
I like this idea for gencon games. The point of HOB really is so that any map can be played on with no start zones. Since Gencon maps already have start zones it would work great there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
One more suggested rule: You cannot place figures on the highest level.

This would not work on flat maps, but would really help on maps where there is only a couple of highest points that because of the adjacency rule, whoever gets the highest D20 roll gets height and no one else can. Alternatives to compensate for this is that you can start a couple figures engaged or you can be engaged on the highest level only, but I think the suggestion above would work great on 90% of maps.
This could work but I think my solution of requiring all squad figures to start adjacent to each other also covers it. Since glyphs can't be started on I can see the logic in designating other areas on a map as no-drop-zones. This would have to depend on the map of course and would not be needed on all maps, maybe just 60% of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperflyTNT View Post
The only beef I had with the entire HoB event at Gencon was that it made 4-figure squads slightly more powerful as the players can place them in a larger "keep-out" zone than before as your opponent can't place them adjacent.

What I saw happen was that people with 4th Mass can place their figures on a large high-ground space on one turn and completely block it off, then do it again on the second turn on another space and it ends up less like heat of battle and more like "the first person to place has a larger advantage".

Other than that, I likey!
Again this is why I suggest that all figures in a squad must start adjacent. Heroscape is already jokingly called Commonsquadscape because of the over power of them, it's just more so with HOB. It doesn't solve everything but I think it would help.

The largest source of Heroscape in Wyoming Washington, now selling loads of terrain.
Old August 10th, 2010, 09:28 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

My only beef with the adjacency idea is that it sets you up to get explosion attacked. I suppose that's not too big of a deal, though.

If I had played HoB, my plan was to do the "scatter over high ground" thing that is being mentioned here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinseth View Post
Clerics in D&D are not adept at fighting.

Online Heroscape!
Old August 10th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Scenariographer

xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melee at Obsession of the Wellspring by Hasbro
All players may start on any Grass or Rock space. Figures cannot start on Sand spaces, Water spaces or Glyphs. Figures may not be placed adjacent to an opponent's figure.
Who came up with HoB? Just saying.

If you are just looking to get into Scape, I have plenty of terrain to get you started!
Old August 10th, 2010, 11:31 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

WOW lafleur liked something I said??????
Old August 10th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Super Bowel

Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
(Looking for a meteor to strike)

Though your has a couple of flaws, like if you have an odd number of figures, do you cut a figure in half?

Without dark, there is no light.
Without bad HScape figs, there are no good ones.
Dund is important, therefore
Old August 10th, 2010, 11:50 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsons Scaper View Post
Quote:

Though your has a couple of flaws, like if you have an odd number of figures, do you cut a figure in half?

Since you place based on number of cards worth of units you would cut it in half...round down for odd numbers (i.e. 7 cards worth you would place 3 in the battle and 4 in the start zone)

Perhaps change the name of the event accordingly to something like....

"Fashionably late" or "Late for the party" or "Onacara's Awesome Heat Of Battle Variant"
Old August 10th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Scenariographer

xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsons Scaper View Post
Quote:

Since you place based on number of cards worth of units you would cut it in half...round down for odd numbers (i.e. 7 cards worth you would place 3 in the battle and 4 in the start zone)

Perhaps change the name of the event accordingly to something like....

"Fashionably late" or "Late for the party" or "Onacara's Awesome Heat Of Battle Variant"
Or...Spiteofthedice.

If you are just looking to get into Scape, I have plenty of terrain to get you started!
Old August 21st, 2010, 12:17 AM

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

The more I think about it, the more I agree that the "squad figures must be placed adjacent to another member of the squad" rule is the way to go. Not only does it break the dominance of the 4-figure squads, but it takes out a lot of the luck, since winning the first placement becomes far less significant.

Quote:

Online Heroscape!
Old August 21st, 2010, 12:58 AM
Scenariographer

With HoB, I feel it requires larger maps. Check the Wellspring of Obsession map in the official scenarios. I believe the small maps just make it difficult with whatever rules you try. My and no I don't need the change.

Old August 21st, 2010, 02:39 PM

The WoO map, despite its size, still has one dominant high ground and three other patches of relative high ground. The same issue applies there as applies on smaller maps - the person who wins opening initiative can put one figure on each of the high spots, denying them to their opponents. Forcing squads to get placed in clusters would mean that opening initiative would only yield a commanding position on one high spot.

At any rate, having an entirely separate, larger set of maps for HoB is a nonstarter for Gencon.

Quote:

Online Heroscape!
Old August 25th, 2010, 03:36 PM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Placement using the gencon2010 rules did take a LOT of time, but it was interesting time, I thought. (My opponents may disagree. "Place the guy, old man!") However, the turns after placement went quickly, with most of the positioning decided or at least very clear.

The initial rolls for placement and initiative were huge, though. One alternative is a 1,2,2,1,2,1,2,1 kind of thing for placement, so the first player gets a nice first spot, but the second player gets the advantage after that.

In any case, it was a fun event, I thought. Variation is a good thing. And it was particularly fun to see the firestorm army get punked a couple times. (Though it also did some punking, too. I heard one of the games was over in two OMs? Not surprising though. It can just be brutal. And not in a fun way for someone who doesn't see it coming.)

I don't always use custom units, but when I do I use Sherman Davies Marvel customs.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion