Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old August 8th, 2009, 02:18 PM

Zer0scaper is surprisingly tart
Re: The Book of Gladiatrons

The only way to break out of cyberclaw(besides killing the gladiatron of course) is to throw the gladiatron with Jotun or use a summoning glyph to pull the gladiatron away.
Old April 9th, 2010, 05:27 PM

L3viathan Woo who?

Now with the re-launch of the blastatrons, newbies (like me ) definately need to get some gladiatron squads. Any hope for a wave 4 "Soulborgs&Elves" reprint? Or do you have any spares for me?
Old May 6th, 2010, 11:59 AM

Agent Mike has disabled reputation

So, everyone talks about the Gladiatron/Blastatron combo is an amazing combo that can own if you use it right. How can the Gladiatrons survive against ranged units then?? Im not trying to be difficult, I am just not sure I understand this right. Is this only effective with melee units? I hope not.
Old May 6th, 2010, 12:07 PM

GatekeeperDatuck has disabled reputation

Well, you put your markers on the Blastatrons, so you can attack at range each turn, while moving up the Gladiatrons to engage. Sure, some will die, but then the opponent would not be targeting the guys you are actually using to do damage.
Old May 6th, 2010, 12:13 PM

Agent Mike has disabled reputation

But the Gladiatrons are a greater point value than Blastitrons! ....I guess you would shelter the Gladiatrons with Blastitrons and "Guard" them from ranged attackers. Lol... I never thought of that! Would they be able to do that with their weak attack, the Blastitrons? I still wish they could be each like the marro TBR and teleport to the opponent figures. lol.
Old May 6th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Online HS Season 1 Champion & 'scape's foremost 'scapegoat

Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Mike View Post
But the Gladiatrons are a greater point value than Blastitrons! ....I guess you would shelter the Gladiatrons with Blastitrons and "Guard" them from ranged attackers. Lol... I never thought of that! Would they be able to do that with their weak attack, the Blastitrons? I still wish they could be each like the marro TBR and teleport to the opponent figures. lol.
If you search around the forums, you will find a lot of winning tournament armies that include the Glads/Blasts combo. A few notable mentions:
-spider_poison went undefeated in the 2008 GenCon Championship with 4xGlads, 2xBlasts, Raelin
-Dignan went 6-0 in NHSD 08 with 3xGlads, 2xBlasts, Raelin, Krav
-spider_poison was successful in a MN Tourney with another related combo: 3xGlads, 2xBlasts, Raelin, Isamu, Marcu.

All of these winning armies have a common theme: more Gladiatron squads than Blasts, and Raelin. So, in the right hands, the ranged attack of the Blasts apparently has the punch to stop good armies in their tracks*...But you are going to lose some Glads, and you need Raelin's help.
Old May 6th, 2010, 12:57 PM

Johnnylama rolls all skulls baby! Johnnylama rolls all skulls baby! Johnnylama rolls all skulls baby! Johnnylama rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy the Clown View Post
All of these winning armies have a common theme: more Gladiatron squads than Blasts, and Raelin. So, in the right hands, the ranged attack of the Blasts apparently has the punch to stop good armies in their tracks*...But you are going to lose some Glads, and you need Raelin's help.
Yes-- When I play against this kind of army, I try to pick off the Blasts with range first if possible. Without them, the Glads are not very powerful. Good players will use the Blast's long range to keep this from happening. They'll probably find an area of height and "turtle" there with Raelin while the Glads move in. With the movement bonding, you can position the Blasts while moving in the Glads, which usually gives you a tactical advantage against your opponent.

Try to bring in the Glads as a swarm so that there will be too many to kill, and hide them behind line of sight blockers if possible. You'll lose a lot of them on the way in, but after they're in, your opponent is in BIG trouble: locked down and with a giant bulls-eye on their foreheads for the Blasts.

Add to all this trouble the fact that robots are immune to certain powers (such as chilling touch or plague), and they are quite a power to contend with.

“Battle is a hard business, sister. Soft training will make for soft soldiers who will in turn become soft corpses.”
― Anthony Ryan, Blood Song
Old May 6th, 2010, 07:30 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

It's worth noting that the 3x Glad, 3x Blast, Raelin build has done well in 500/510 point formats. lonewolf finished 3rd with it at the 2007 main event, and Jexik did well with it at 2009 TTO. That build has 12 Glads to 11 Blasts, so it's not necessary to have many more Glads. I haven't seen that build played, personally, but I'd speculate that the Blasts are used a bit more aggressively than in the 4x/2x or 3x/2x configurations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinseth View Post
Clerics in D&D are not adept at fighting.

Online Heroscape!
Old May 7th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Tickle Pickle

tcglkn is hot lava death! tcglkn is hot lava death! tcglkn is hot lava death! tcglkn is hot lava death! tcglkn is hot lava death! tcglkn is hot lava death! tcglkn is hot lava death! tcglkn is hot lava death! tcglkn is hot lava death! tcglkn is hot lava death! tcglkn is hot lava death! tcglkn is hot lava death! tcglkn is hot lava death! tcglkn is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
It's worth noting that the 3x Glad, 3x Blast, Raelin build has done well in 500/510 point formats. lonewolf finished 3rd with it at the 2007 main event, and Jexik did well with it at 2009 TTO. That build has 12 Glads to 11 Blasts, so it's not necessary to have many more Glads. I haven't seen that build played, personally, but I'd speculate that the Blasts are used a bit more aggressively than in the 4x/2x or 3x/2x configurations.
With that army I guess you sit a Blast in favor of having Raelin?

Welcome to C3G | C3G Playtesting Sign Up | C3G Books of Index | C3G Sortable Index

Praise about C3G: "This is great. The cards have everything you need to know about the figure on them."
Old May 7th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcglkn View Post
With that army I guess you sit a Blast in favor of having Raelin?
Yes. 12/11.

And as dok said, sometimes you're more aggressive with the Blasts. It's pretty slick when it works. You toss out the Blastatrons as your Gladiatrons dwindle, because people instinctively gun for them since they have lower defense... but they're playing directly into your plans. Doing sort of a leap-frog where you send a B-tron forward to engage, shoot that engaged target with your rear-b-trons to free up the lead one, and then keep going is a common move.

Raelin is a big part of making this army work against other ranged armies. She increases the Glads' defense and allows you to push forward. Also, jungle and stuff like that is important to utilize if available. The big thing to keep in mind is that there is no hurry. Swarm up slowly so that once you do start taking casualties, you can replace them quickly.

The three units you're most worried about are Deathreavers, Krav, and other Raelins. When it comes to Deathreavers, you're in a lot of trouble if they've got 3 or more squads. There's no way around it. Krav don't care how many dice you throw at them from range, and even 2 dice that Gladiatrons have in melee won't exactly scare them. Sometimes, the best play is actually to charge forward with Raelin to kill Krav. Versus Raelin, sometimes you just have to power through it and ignore her. She's often in a place such that getting Gladiatrons near her is difficult if your opponent knows what he's doing.

4th are a problem, but again, don't rush forward. Lonewolf seems to know how to handle this matchup pretty well. Redcoats/Raelin are similar- tough for less experienced 'tron players, but doable if you practice against it.

I've played trons in 4 separate events, losing one game in each. Two times, the other army had Redcoats- one of them had Raelin, and the other was pure Redcoats. Once was Q9 + rats on the worst map ever for trons, facing Lonewolf of all people. The other was against Krav/Raelin dwarves. Lonewolf's only loss with 3/3/Raelin at GC 2007 was R˙chean's army with 3x Rats, Krav, AE, MW, and Kaemon.

Melee armies are your ideal matchup, unless MM is playing them, but Q9, Nilfheim, and a lot of popular 2nd tier sorts of armies just get stomped by well-played 'trons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old May 7th, 2010, 08:07 PM

Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Mike View Post
I don't think you're getting it. You engage as much enemy as you can with the Glads. Ranged enemy units have to attack what they're engaged with, so they have to attack the Gladiatrons. They can't use those units to attack the Blastatrons anymore and they can't disengage either. With all your markers on the Blasts you can adjust your Glads every turn and move and attack with your Blasts, which will be pumped by the engagements.

Don't worry about the cards point costs. The In Game Point Value (search or it) is more important to consider when using this combo of units. They dont need to teleport, they have movement bonding and you can move eight figures per activation, twentyfour a round. Late game you will find yourself not needing to move many figures.
Old June 15th, 2010, 07:42 AM

mikelizzio knows what's in an order marker mikelizzio knows what's in an order marker

I apologize if this is mentioned elsewhere, but I searched the FAQs and Official Units threads to no avail.

Has a ruling been made about whether or not a figure can fly past a Gladiatron without becoming affected by cyberclaw? If so, could someone direct me to the ruling?

Thanks,

Mike

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Official Units