Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old September 18th, 2016, 02:45 PM
#1 CoN Player & Charos Cultist innocently oiling another man

Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post

Nice list Ranior

I enjoy Love Letter and Codenames quite a bit.

My group quite enjoys Secret Hitler. We have enjoyed Avalon and Resistance in the past as well. While there aren't any roles really in SH, there is the Chancellor aspect that's different, as well as the things that can happen after certain number of things passed. I think that both have their value. I don't care for Werewolf or One Night Werewolf though.

Haven't played Robinson Crusoe in awhile. First scenario was a rough one and have lost that many times. Second one wasn't too bad. Haven't played the other ones yet.

Haven't tried Evolution Climate yet.
I may have come off too harsh on Secret Hitler. I still think it is a good game and quite enjoyable. I just believe it self-touted as claiming to "fix" the issues of the Resistance/Avalon, at the very least it was heavily inspired. I personally don't think the changes are for the better. I would rather play Avalon (which I would rate a 9) over Secret Hitler (which I would give a 7). Both are still quite enjoyable and fun games. I just have some specific issues with a few things that can play out in Secret Hitler--which may just be one scenario we hit that made one game pretty boring.

I got Crusoe recently and have been enjoying it--but had to play several solo games first to get through the fiddly rules, and even then may have a few things wrong. During our session we still had to look up a few things. I will be tempted by the revised edition just hoping for some real clarity improvements....but by then I'll probably have moved on to other games which is fine as I really don't need to upgrade just for that....or do I? Ah the struggles of wanting too many games.

Evolution Climate is a fun one--don't think it's out for retail yet though. Picked up a kickstarted copy at gencon and they had very few for sale there. Still it's a fun game although not too different from just base Evolution. Fun game system though that's quite enjoyable.

Finally I also quite enjoy Five Tribes. Just unique mechanics that are really smart. I struggle to get it to the table, but I personally love getting the chance to play it. Do you find the expansion to be something that really enhances the game, or in my case where I maybe get to play a handful of times during the year does it really add enough to justify getting it?

Ranior is DJ Khosumet the current and hopefully future Dark Lord...
in THE FRACTAL COMPLEX
Old September 18th, 2016, 03:06 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranior View Post
Quote:

Nice list Ranior

I enjoy Love Letter and Codenames quite a bit.

My group quite enjoys Secret Hitler. We have enjoyed Avalon and Resistance in the past as well. While there aren't any roles really in SH, there is the Chancellor aspect that's different, as well as the things that can happen after certain number of things passed. I think that both have their value. I don't care for Werewolf or One Night Werewolf though.

Haven't played Robinson Crusoe in awhile. First scenario was a rough one and have lost that many times. Second one wasn't too bad. Haven't played the other ones yet.

Haven't tried Evolution Climate yet.
I may have come off too harsh on Secret Hitler. I still think it is a good game and quite enjoyable. I just believe it self-touted as claiming to "fix" the issues of the Resistance/Avalon, at the very least it was heavily inspired. I personally don't think the changes are for the better. I would rather play Avalon (which I would rate a 9) over Secret Hitler (which I would give a 7). Both are still quite enjoyable and fun games. I just have some specific issues with a few things that can play out in Secret Hitler--which may just be one scenario we hit that made one game pretty boring.

I got Crusoe recently and have been enjoying it--but had to play several solo games first to get through the fiddly rules, and even then may have a few things wrong. During our session we still had to look up a few things. I will be tempted by the revised edition just hoping for some real clarity improvements....but by then I'll probably have moved on to other games which is fine as I really don't need to upgrade just for that....or do I? Ah the struggles of wanting too many games.

Evolution Climate is a fun one--don't think it's out for retail yet though. Picked up a kickstarted copy at gencon and they had very few for sale there. Still it's a fun game although not too different from just base Evolution. Fun game system though that's quite enjoyable.

Finally I also quite enjoy Five Tribes. Just unique mechanics that are really smart. I struggle to get it to the table, but I personally love getting the chance to play it. Do you find the expansion to be something that really enhances the game, or in my case where I maybe get to play a handful of times during the year does it really add enough to justify getting it?
Actually Ranior, the only 2 times I have played Five Tribes is with the expansion. It's not my game, so it just happened that the two different people that owned the game for the games I played, had the expansion.

From what others said, the expansion opens things up more, as it is 6x6 tiles instead of 5x5, so it's not as tight. You get the purple meeples added in, and they add another option for actions, where you can draw a number of item tokens equal to the number of purple meeples you pick up, but you only get to keep one. These tokens are kept secret and will either be worth vps at the end of the game, or they will have a magic ability that allows you to do something special one time. The purple meeples are kept in front of you and worth 2 points each at the end of the game, or 3 points each if you have more than anyone else.

Sorry I can't offer a straight up comparison between base and expansion experiences.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old September 18th, 2016, 09:18 PM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:

Burgle Bros. is a blast for sure.
My buddy kickstarted this, and it is definitely a blast. Not sure if you ever saw the kickstarter, but they had initially had an add-on (I believe it was add-on, and not a stretch goal as he doesn't have it) you could buy that created the game in a 3D state. It was basically a tower-like structure and had 3 levels, one for each level of the game.

My friend never got that, he instead made his own. I gotta say, Burgle Bros is flat-out fun laid out on a table. Put it in a tower, though? Sooo much more intense and exciting and fun. Have your pal create a tower, (or see if there's a cheap one online) as it adds such a degree of "authenticity" to the game.

My two cents.

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-
Old September 18th, 2016, 09:33 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rym View Post
Quote:

Burgle Bros. is a blast for sure.
My buddy kickstarted this, and it is definitely a blast. Not sure if you ever saw the kickstarter, but they had initially had an add-on (I believe it was add-on, and not a stretch goal as he doesn't have it) you could buy that created the game in a 3D state. It was basically a tower-like structure and had 3 levels, one for each level of the game.

My friend never got that, he instead made his own. I gotta say, Burgle Bros is flat-out fun laid out on a table. Put it in a tower, though? Sooo much more intense and exciting and fun. Have your pal create a tower, (or see if there's a cheap one online) as it adds such a degree of "authenticity" to the game.

My two cents.
He mentioned seeing the 3D tower at GenCon and saI'd it looked cool. That said, he is not handy to make one, and is too thrifty to buy one. However, another friend has it and is one to bling things out, so he may have the tower. I'll check next time I see him.

That's one I wish I would have backed.

Old September 18th, 2016, 09:35 PM

Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:

Sorry I can't offer a straight up comparison between base and expansion experiences.
No problem. You at least helped me realize I just need to get someone in my game group to buy the expansion for me so I can figure it out for myself :P

In all reality, my new gaming group is going great. We've managed to go weekly for a few weeks now with a pretty solid 10-12. And I've got some plans to get to try Specter Ops, Roll for the Galaxy, Terra Mystica, Saboteur, Bohnanza, and I'm sure plenty of others. All without me having to buy and provide the games. It's really a great thing to not always have to provide all the games and still get to try stuff you're really interested in.

In other news, played a solo round of LOTR LCG as I'm becoming increasingly addicted. Although I think I've still spent more time constructing decks than playing quests, but I suppose with deck construction games that really is where the majority of the enjoyment probably is. At least it is for me.

Also got to play a round of Boss Monster with the new Crash Landing expansion. Not my favorite game but it can be fun enough from time to time in mostly laughing at the cards and trying to figure out the inspiration/parody on them. Cory got this at gencon and we somehow realized we had yet to try it out so it was good to get a play in with it. He also got a cool playmat for it that does make it easier to keep track of each players dungeon and adds a bit to the game. I enjoy playmats for games so this was a cool pick up. Waiting on my custom printed playmat for LotR to arrive....supposed to get here on Friday, but presuming it will come in tomorrow...

in THE FRACTAL COMPLEX
Old September 18th, 2016, 10:15 PM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Quote:

No problem. You at least helped me realize I just need to get someone in my game group to buy the expansion for me so I can figure it out for myself :P

In all reality, my new gaming group is going great. We've managed to go weekly for a few weeks now with a pretty solid 10-12. And I've got some plans to get to try Specter Ops, Roll for the Galaxy, Terra Mystica, Saboteur, Bohnanza, and I'm sure plenty of others. All without me having to buy and provide the games. It's really a great thing to not always have to provide all the games and still get to try stuff you're really interested in.

In other news, played a solo round of LOTR LCG as I'm becoming increasingly addicted. Although I think I've still spent more time constructing decks than playing quests, but I suppose with deck construction games that really is where the majority of the enjoyment probably is. At least it is for me.

Also got to play a round of Boss Monster with the new Crash Landing expansion. Not my favorite game but it can be fun enough from time to time in mostly laughing at the cards and trying to figure out the inspiration/parody on them. Cory got this at gencon and we somehow realized we had yet to try it out so it was good to get a play in with it. He also got a cool playmat for it that does make it easier to keep track of each players dungeon and adds a bit to the game. I enjoy playmats for games so this was a cool pick up. Waiting on my custom printed playmat for LotR to arrive....supposed to get here on Friday, but presuming it will come in tomorrow...
Wow Ranior, looks like your group is coming along nicely

Yeah, one of the many benefits of having a good sized group, is that you get to try games that other people have. So you can try before you buy, or just never buy and play someone else's copy of the game whenever you want to play it. Usually, people don't mind requests to play games they own, unless they had their heart set on playing a different game that night.

I used to play the heck out of Lord of the Rings Living Card Game, still have some quests I haven't gotten to yet, as other things have taken over. Though I'll have to just it out again sometime for sure, as I really do enjoy it, even when getting crushed by those darn trolls

I've played Boss Monster a few times, though I always suck at it. It's ok, but not one I'd request really. Though if my friend Steve asked, I would play, since he's played plenty of my games.

Old September 19th, 2016, 10:30 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Got some X wing in the other night. I played this one before I got a big fleet of new ships from coolstuffinc. I tried out a TIE/FO swarm against my brothers couple of upgraded X wings. He shredded me one by one. We played on a map that had no obstacles or asteroids. He killed my higher point value pilots first and then when he got to attack first with all his pilots every round killed 1 TIE a round until I was gone. Towards the end I finally killed one of his ships. It only took me 6 ties to kill the one x wing. I'm looking forward to trying some more games with all my new types of ships and some custom asteroids I'm building. On another note. Seeing all you guys and your game groups has got me trying to put a group together myself to see some use out of my rather decent sized pile of games.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old September 19th, 2016, 10:39 AM

Completely agreed. I got to try Scythe recently, and while I like it, I don't think I will buy it. I can always request the other person bring it and we can play then. It's fantastic haha.

My experience with Boss Monster is largely the same. I'm not really good at it, but I also don't think there's all that much skill. I won't request it ever probably, but I'm willing to play here and there when someone else requests it. As you note, I pretty much view it as fair since people often play stuff I want to even if they're not in love, so I can suck it up and play some stuff I think is ho hum here and there also.

Just got One Night Ultimate Werewolf, so hoping to play that this Friday and see how it goes.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
On another note. Seeing all you guys and your game groups has got me trying to put a group together myself to see some use out of my rather decent sized pile of games.
Good luck! I'm super glad I got a group together a month ago, and we're going strong thus far. I invited a few friends, a few of them invited a friend or two. I also posted on BGG by creating a thread for central WI gamers, and somehow managed to pull in 3-4 more people that way too. I really didn't expect to find anyone to be honest, but within a few days I got several people. I truly didn't expect to get a group of 12 together weekly for gaming this quickly, I was just hoping for a consistent like 4 when I started but had a lot of success. Seems like there are a lot of interested gamers in my area, they just needed someone willing to host and organize. I'm hoping you have a similar experience. A bit of effort and a bit of organization worked for me to find people and get a group together. Best of luck on your efforts, it's really worth it. As I've said I'm not only getting to play more of my games, but I'm also getting to take advantage of other's collections as well.

in THE FRACTAL COMPLEX
Old September 19th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Completely agreed. I got to try Scythe recently, and while I like it, I don't think I will buy it. I can always request the other person bring it and we can play then. It's fantastic haha.
I'll be playing Scythe at our weekly game night tonight

I backed it on Kickstarter and have gotten 10 plays so far with various groups, including 7 of those games with my 13 year old twin daughters. That in itself makes it a winner for me. But yeah, even if you get the least expensive version it's not cheap, and if you have access to it via your group, then that's a win/win situation.

Old September 19th, 2016, 10:55 PM
Prickly Cactus

Played a 5 player game of Scythe tonight at game night. 2 newbies and 3 experienced players. I controlled Crimea and barely beat the Rusviet player 56 to 55. The other scores were 37,36 and 22.

Busted out a big table and played with the bigger board, very nice.

Old September 20th, 2016, 10:35 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Played my first two solitaire plays of Quartermaster General with the Air Marshal and new Alternate Histories expansions. This was a different experience. Where the Core game (or Core plus Air Marshal) has the Axis surging quickly and the Allies struggling to catch up, the new version has the Allies surging early and the Axis putting together a counter strategy! More experienced players are required for this game, where you have to discard one card each turn or lose a Victory Point. (There is another version I have yet to try out where you custom prebuild the national decks).

There are many more new and interesting cards. The UK player now controls France and the US China, two new nations which now start on the board and use their own pieces. Their controlling players can only build or take action with them when special cards are played for them. A hint identifying these cards shows the national flag of these two countries in the background on the front of the cards, even though they are still showing the familiar backs of their controlling nations as part of their decks.

Will the Poles rise up backed by the UK? Are the Germans going to play the Seal Lion card? Will the French Foreign Legion appear in some far flung colonial space? There is now a much faster pace as the cards cycle much more quickly. And rather than wait a turn hoping to draw that one card you really need, you can now fish for it with a cheaper Reallocate Resources action at the start of your turn.

I look forward to more plays, especially with live opponents. I also not that the designer has already adopted this new system to the Peloponnesian War in Victory or Death.

Last edited by chas; September 21st, 2016 at 08:55 AM.
Old September 20th, 2016, 10:59 PM
Treasure Quest Champion!

Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Just got in my 3rd, 4th, and 5th game of Summoner Wars. What a great game!
Played as the Original Fallen Kingdom, Original Filth, and starting set Dark Elves. Also tried out Ashes for the first time (Played the base set snake-lady). Plaid Hat cannot be lauded more for there use of simple mechanics to create intricate, strategy driven games that have the perfect balance of strategy and the kind of luck that is indicative of fun.

I've played countless games of Spectre Ops (over 30 at this point, probably).

Countless games of Dead of Winter (at least 15).

Really really awesome company, can't wait to see their future games and bask in their awesomeness.

Mimring>Krug. 'Nuff said.

Last edited by Arrow Grut; September 20th, 2016 at 11:14 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games