Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures
Other Miniatures Miniatures games besides Heroscape.

Old November 20th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Beware the Curse

boom knows what's in an order marker boom knows what's in an order marker boom knows what's in an order marker
Re: World of warcraft minis game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlikkRikk View Post
Congrats Boom! Shoot some pictures when you get home.
I shall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
Im heading out tonite to pick up a couple packs as well!
I didn't get a chance to check Frank & Sons, but I'll try to on Saturday. Maybe save us some scratch.

Good trades: Oogie Da Bruce, EyeOfSauron, Lilnewbie, rodriguez, Jaz1597(x2), GeneralRolando, SlikkRikk, BIGJIM, Lord Pyre

All new 'scapers, check this out:
http://tinyurl.com/6x3wlu
Old November 21st, 2008, 12:00 PM

Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby!

Sadly, I pulled the exact same three figures on my second booster pack as my first, which was very lame. (What are the chances anyways?)

DWARVES!
Old November 21st, 2008, 12:17 PM
Resident Artist & Master Custom Creator

CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Sadly, I pulled the exact same three figures on my second booster pack as my first, which was very lame. (What are the chances anyways?)
Ha, I did the exact same thing, Made me sad as well, guess that's what I get for picking up the heaviest packs,

My mind is the Pink Zippo that sits on top of a pack of Camel Wides.
Old November 21st, 2008, 02:47 PM
Beware the Curse

boom knows what's in an order marker boom knows what's in an order marker boom knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Not all is lost. What are the three dupes you have? Monsters?

Please, don't tell me Hordes.

Good trades: Oogie Da Bruce, EyeOfSauron, Lilnewbie, rodriguez, Jaz1597(x2), GeneralRolando, SlikkRikk, BIGJIM, Lord Pyre

All new 'scapers, check this out:
http://tinyurl.com/6x3wlu
Old November 21st, 2008, 04:29 PM

Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby!

Yup Horde, but I traded one set for some Monsters, a couple you don't have (No rares tho)

DWARVES!
Old November 24th, 2008, 08:55 PM

King's Knight knows what's in an order marker King's Knight knows what's in an order marker

A downloadable PDF with tokens is now (as of Friday apparently) available on the wowminis site... (Missing the chi-marker though...)
Old November 25th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Ninthdoc and I snuck out of BGG.con for a few hours on Saturday and attended a release tournament at a local comic/game store. It was a lot of fun but did reinforce the issues that I have with CCGs and CMGs (the rarity trap(crap) and unbalanced combos). I still like the game and plan on playing the game but will not be pursuing any competitive play which was my initial intent all along so no big loss there.

After getting a few more games under my belt, I still like the game and think it has some interesting mechanics. Most of the figures look great from a WoW art style perspective. I've played the online game off and on ever since it became available to the general public and enjoy the art style of the game. I do agree with a statement made by IMax that a quick wash over the figures would have made them look a lot better.

Overall, I'm not too concerned that people from different websites don't care for the game or the figures. Their opinion is just as valid as mine. Obviously, there are people who like the game and figures as the boosters/starters seem to be selling extremely well.

Will the game have a long life? I think that this game suffers from the standard CMG curse. A high price-point and balance issues will eventually catch up to the game but it does have a huge fan base from WoW MMORPG players to CMG players trying to find a game now that Wizkids is gone and other CMGs have disappeared. Even if it does go away, the game makes for a fun game to play on occasion just like my friends and I do with Dreamblade.

Newb.
Old November 25th, 2008, 06:06 PM

Blackrock is surprisingly tart

My local store still has not received the event kit as of today, so I didn't even go down there this weekend. I called a few times to see if anyone showed up to play but only the guy on the phone with me wanted to play. As soon as they do get the kit in, they'll either run the launch tournament at last or give me (and whoever else might show up) the prizes. That would be sweet but I'd really like to play this game already.

In other news, I just got off the phone with a UDE service associate in Las Vegas who told me how to trade out my Storm Rager cards for Goblin Shredder cards. I have to mail the cards to them in an envelope marked with a reference number and some other doo-dads I'm not used to writing on ordinary letters, preferably with a note inside to let them know I'm trading these out for "Goblin Shredder", "Buzz Saw," and "Scroll of Strength" specifically. I might buy one more booster beforehand, on the off-chance I get another Shredder or a Storm Rager with the cards I should have had
Old November 25th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Messy Eater

Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby!

Hey LilNewbie, thanks for sharing your viewpoint. A few comments to clarify my stance...

I agree that they definitely match the WoW art style and in that regard they can definitely be considered artistically acceptable.

About reviewer's opinions - I'm definitely not saying that if the masses dislike something (or even if it's not a majority but a small selection of reviewers) that people can't support or like a game. There's a reason we all have our own unique tastes and so forth!

But that being said, I don't entirely agree that everything is subjective and opinion-based either. There are verifiable ideals that we can use to judge any created media.

Thanks for reading this far. I hope you enjoy your WoW minis. I was merely providing an alternate viewpoint/opinion to your remarks.
Old November 25th, 2008, 06:23 PM

zanter knows what's in an order marker zanter knows what's in an order marker zanter knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post

In other news, I just got off the phone with a UDE service associate in Las Vegas who told me how to trade out my Storm Rager cards for Goblin Shredder cards. I have to mail the cards to them in an envelope marked with a reference number and some other doo-dads I'm not used to writing on ordinary letters, preferably with a note inside to let them know I'm trading these out for "Goblin Shredder", "Buzz Saw," and "Scroll of Strength" specifically. I might buy one more booster beforehand, on the off-chance I get another Shredder or a Storm Rager with the cards I should have had
Good, sorry about not getting you better scans, I'm still trying to figure out how to get them bigger. I'll try again soon.

~Z~

I do art. Check it out.

http://insanelyzanter.deviantart.com/
Old November 25th, 2008, 06:39 PM

Blackrock is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post

Good, sorry about not getting you better scans, I'm still trying to figure out how to get them bigger. I'll try again soon.

~Z~
Did you resize the originals after scanning them? I know they scan in X-BOX HUGE but it's how it must remain if you're to print the image out at life size.
Old November 25th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytefang View Post

But that being said, I don't entirely agree that everything is subjective and opinion-based either. There are verifiable ideals that we can use to judge any created media.

I agree with this statement as long as it applies to something where function follows form (such as a technical document) but disagree when trying to apply the statement to something where form follows function (a piece of art).

If a technical document is poorly written, contains errors and fails to teach a reader about the subject matter then we can say that it was a failure or not executed properly. On the other hand, if a piece of art doesn't evoke something in a person or persons that doesn't mean it has failed because it might trigger something in another person or group of people (we can see this sometimes in cultural artwork where it contains deeper meaning for some people over others).

I consider WoW minis (heck, any game) in the second classification. It might not strike a chord with some people but seems to be liked by others. Just because a vocal community (online or otherwise) has stated something wrong with it doesn't make it an automatic failure in another community.

Some people like Heroscape and some don't (and some have changed their minds), whether it is a good game or not depends on each player's perspective (form following function). Some people might like to have square wheels but those types of wheels will not be any good no matter how much they rant and rave (function following form).

Newb.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures