Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old December 21st, 2010, 04:07 AM

Q-Lok Woo who?
Q-Lok's Map Thread!

This should probably have been written a long, long time ago, but I'm lazy so it gets done now instead.

My best work isn't going to be here for some time yet, since I have a Mac and can't seem to get Wine, Mono, or CrossOver to cooperate with VirtualScape, and the end result of this is that most of my documented maps are either a pile of photos of sheets of tiles or an incomplete LandScape PDF. Basically I have to go back now and rebuild my better work by hand and photograph it, which shouldn't be a huge problem once I tear down my enormous uses-every-piece LRH prototype that currently occupies the entire living room. Anyway, here's what I have handy; build instructions are available by request on all but the last one.

Roman Syndrome (1 RotV, 1 RttFF):
Like all of my LS map files, this looks much better in real life and has more to it (walls on the bridge, in this case).

Tries Centric (1 RotV):
Not too special, just an experiment in 3- and 6-player design. This one is actually complete in the picture; LS just looks lousy.

Trippel's Cross (1 RotV):
I think I may eventually pick the project this was from back up; I was trying to do simple 3-player maps supposedly charted by "Trippel," but I only did this one plus a couple of other experimental maps.

Wellspring Castle (every tile in my possession at the time, somewhere around 2 RotV, 1 SotM, 2 FotA, 2 RttFF, plus wave tiles):
This was a big sucker. Took up the whole dining room table, and was played as a 5-way match with one person in the castle. I've since re-used this basic idea in a similar even-larger map.

Caspian (2 RotV, 1 SotM[?], 1[?] FotA, 2 RttFF):
Conceptually, this map came straight out of a scene near the end of The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, but it ended up looking nothing like that. This picture is also rubbish for actually displaying the map, but I will most assuredly be replacing it as soon as I have the spare parts to rebuild it.

The Bridge of Absurdity (2 RotV, 2 RttFF, 1 FotA):
I have no idea why I built something so retarded, but as I recall we did have one fun-ish game on it before it was dismantled. I'm also sure you could build it without the Road sets by changing the walls for battlements and only one RotV by taking two of the ruins out, but what can I say? I had it on hand and threw something dumb together.

Long Road Home Prototype (literally every single tile in my possession except ladders, walls, and battlements; this totals something like six Master Sets and seven terrain expansions plus lots of wave tiles):
This is the (as of now untested) prototype board for my Long Road Home ruleset (which you should really try out, by the way). More pictures of this monster are here if you want them. This was more proof-of-concept for LRH map design than it was for having a well-designed map, so don't feel like you need anything so ridiculous if you're building for an LRH game. Seriously, don't feel like you need this to play LRH. You don't. Seriously.

And another shot of the behemoth, because you honestly can't see the whole thing at once:

There are quite a few maps left in my collection of photos, and once I get those all together and sorted, I'll start putting them up here. The LS and VS pictures, I'll probably replace with photos as well, since they look kinda bad to me.

Getting tired of just smashing two armies together and hoping you win? You should really play a game or two with the Long Road Home ruleset!
Also, here's my map thread, just because.

Last edited by Q-Lok; December 21st, 2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 09:05 PM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Q-Lok's Map Thread!

Very cool maps- it looks like you put a lot of effort into all of them. the behemoth is my favorite- the only thing is that the road is split in some parts, which could limit movement and make play less balanced. Overall great maps.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 12:42 AM

Q-Lok Woo who?

Yes, the road split was intentional. That map was a prototype for an alternate play style in which one player is trying to make it all the way across a long, narrow map while the other tries to stop them.

Getting tired of just smashing two armies together and hoping you win? You should really play a game or two with the Long Road Home ruleset!
Old December 24th, 2010, 08:58 AM

glacierking is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:

There are quite a few maps left in my collection of photos, and once I get those all together and sorted, I'll start putting them up here. The LS and VS pictures, I'll probably replace with photos as well, since they look kinda bad to me.
I find computer files generally dont look as good as a real heroscape board. They have a certain look to them.

Old December 24th, 2010, 01:44 PM

Q-Lok Woo who?

True that. I think that the "soft renders" that VS often uses make maps look more appealing, but LandScape renders are just ugly.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios