Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports
Battle Reports Reports of your Heroscape Battles

Old October 13th, 2010, 12:31 PM

tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Utah's NHSD #5 - reports

Thanks for checking it out killercactus and glad you enjoyed it.

Quote:
1) Having a special attack wouldn't have helped against Warforged Resolve anyway - it works against both normal and special attacks.
You are completely correct. Mogrimm has Tough, which only works against normal attacks, and I conflated the two abilities at the time... I couldn't get through Resolve with attacks of 3, especially with Bigga often rolling 3 defense due to height. So I was wracking my mind to think of what I could have done to counter, and thought I made a mistake not including a unit with a special attack. I re-read the Warforge cards just last night and noticed that Resolve also blocked specials... that is just beastly. I can see squads that are large or have an attack of 4 starting to become worth their points.

Quote:
Why was Commander's Strike moot???
D20 @25% - I rolled it once all game, and that is par for the course for me. I still attempt it whenever possible, but I just can't rely on it. My rolling lacked in general this game, but I generally consider a D20 success to be a lucky aberration, not an expected outcome. The one exception is Brave Arrow's Conceal.

If you like reading battle reports, I'd recommend ScottManDeath's and BiggaBullfrog's for the other viewpoints.

Cheers,

~tgx
Old October 13th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

25% is actually pretty decent odds. D20 rolls aren't really any luckier than your chances of rolling more skulls than your oppponent rolls shields. The more you roll the die, the more your chances of getting "lucky."

Brandon

I'm HipHoppa in Urban Rivals, the coolest, online CCG of all time!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations
Old October 13th, 2010, 12:47 PM

ScottManDeath knows what's in an order marker ScottManDeath knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannergx View Post
So you opened it! With Nilfheim already in your build, I was worried that set might go directly to the secondary market. I'm feeling better already about donating it now that I know you might have needed it.
I actually traded it with my roomie (for the wyrmling booster he won, and a moderate amount of D&D minis I want to make customs for) to hook him up with older figures that are hard to get.

He's been buying D&D Scape for the miniatures ever since MS3 came out, to use them for his D&D sessions. At least now he can add his own Nilfheim/Braxas to his own Green Scale Warriors army :P

But I kept the French cards (bienvenue monsigneur Nilf'eim), what I consider to be collectors items Speaking of which, I should have bought the French RotV set when I was in France two summers ago.

Last edited by ScottManDeath; October 15th, 2010 at 12:49 AM. Reason: added link to D&D customs
Old October 13th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Maybe you should bring the French cards next year. That way you can make up powers for you figures and people will have to take your word for it!

It seems like a lot more people got higher scores this year. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like last year, There was only one 5-0, Ortimus at 4-1 (after losing the final round to the 5-0 guy) and me at 4-1 (in third due to my SoS), and then everyone else had worse records than that. Correct me if I'm wrong.

This year, there was a 5-0 and then like 4 or 5 of us at 4-1, which got me thinking about strength of schedule.

Ideally, you should win every one of your battles but only barely. That way your opponent gets max points, which helps your SoS. I realize, now that those couple of blowout victories I scored really hurt my SoS. 'Course, if you're winning and you decide to toy around with your opponent and let him kill off a bunch of your figs before finishing him, he might think you're kind of a dick. But still...

Brandon

I'm HipHoppa in Urban Rivals, the coolest, online CCG of all time!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations
Old October 18th, 2010, 02:51 PM

Vivaldi is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B.I.V. View Post
It seems like a lot more people got higher scores this year. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like last year, There was only one 5-0, Ortimus at 4-1 (after losing the final round to the 5-0 guy) and me at 4-1 (in third due to my SoS), and then everyone else had worse records than that. Correct me if I'm wrong.

This year, there was a 5-0 and then like 4 or 5 of us at 4-1, which got me thinking about strength of schedule.

Ideally, you should win every one of your battles but only barely. That way your opponent gets max points, which helps your SoS. I realize, now that those couple of blowout victories I scored really hurt my SoS. 'Course, if you're winning and you decide to toy around with your opponent and let him kill off a bunch of your figs before finishing him, he might think you're kind of a dick. But still...

Brandon
Out of a field of 43, I think 8 records of 4-1, or 5-0 is about right after 5 rounds. This is what wikipedia says:

"Determining a clear winner (and, incidentally, a clear loser) usually requires the same number of rounds as a knockout tournament, that is the binary logarithm of the number of players rounded up. Therefore three rounds can handle eight players, four rounds can handle sixteen players and so on. If fewer than this minimum number of rounds are played, it can happen that two or more players finish the tournament with a perfect score, having won all their games but never faced each other."

The max players for which you can get a clear winner at 5 rounds is 32, so two people at 5-0 makes sense. In other words, another round would have given us a clear winner.

I think it came down to everyone playing in the adult bracket and no one(only 4) in the children's bracket. I think a lot of the younger players could have easily gone down to slim the adult bracket to 32. Also, I dare say many of those players might have had a better chance at prizes, and a more enjoyable time if they were in the children's bracket.

But, as it stood the children's bracket was a real bargain. With four entrants, and second and fourth pick of the prizes, those are some great odds.

Side thought-- I would like to nominate an unofficial chamionship between Scottmandeath and Biggabullfrog sometime in the next few months to answer the "what if" question.
Old October 18th, 2010, 05:25 PM

UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Last year the adult bracket was a perfect 32, that's why there was one clear winner (using Swiss-style tournament matchups).
I always let the kids choose who they want to play, most of them went with the adults this year. There were three others in the kids' bracket, but they couldn't stay the whole time...

I wouldn't mind seeing ScottManDeath & BiggaBullfrog battle it out for the championship, it may be difficult getting him out here from Vernal again between now & New Year's...I'll ask him, though (he's got family in Utah County). Not to mention SMD going back to Germany for the holidays...

PS. I uploaded the adult tournament results here (top post) and to the Battle Reports thread.

Encompassed about by mountain waves
Old October 19th, 2010, 10:10 PM

BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivaldi View Post
Side thought-- I would like to nominate an unofficial chamionship between Scottmandeath and Biggabullfrog sometime in the next few months to answer the "what if" question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahScott View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing ScottManDeath & BiggaBullfrog battle it out for the championship, it may be difficult getting him out here from Vernal again between now & New Year's...I'll ask him, though (he's got family in Utah County). Not to mention SMD going back to Germany for the holidays...
That would be fun, and, if things work out right, I might be able to find a good excuse to head out in the next couple weeks, I'll look into it. If ScottManDeath's up for it, I am too, as long as we have a place to play, and ScottManDeath doesn't have any scheduling issues.
Old October 19th, 2010, 10:53 PM

ScottManDeath knows what's in an order marker ScottManDeath knows what's in an order marker

I should be able to do the weekend of the 30th and the weekend of the 6th
Old October 20th, 2010, 12:22 AM

UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

ScottManDeath --
End of October or November 6, you mean?

What about Nov. 13 (National Gaming Day) or 11/20 for either of you?
I think Thanksgiving weekend would be too busy for most...

Encompassed about by mountain waves
Old October 20th, 2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahScott View Post
ScottManDeath --
End of October or November 6, you mean?

What about Nov. 13 (National Gaming Day) or 11/20 for either of you?
I think Thanksgiving weekend would be too busy for most...

10/30 (tentative, I have a conference the week before) and 11/06, or 11/13 or 11/20.
Old October 30th, 2010, 08:05 PM

BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Sorry for the delay here, but I've finally gotten my best dates, 11/6 and 11/13, and I wanted to see if either was marginally better/easier for you, ScottManDeath (11/6 is better for me, but if it's not great for you, I can go 11/13).

Also making a quick check to see how this would work out on either date, 11/13 is the Gaming Day, and I'm guessing we could set it up there. 11/6 I'm not sure about though. Again, sorry for taking so long.

Last edited by BiggaBullfrog; October 31st, 2010 at 07:17 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports