Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports
Battle Reports Reports of your Heroscape Battles

Old October 11th, 2010, 03:02 PM

wjscaper knows what's in an order marker wjscaper knows what's in an order marker
Re: Utah's NHSD #5 - reports

Tournament play I am 9-5.

1st tourney 3-1
2nd tourney 3-2
3rd tourney 3-2
Old October 11th, 2010, 03:04 PM

UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

wj,

It would help to type out your army separately.
Also, if you could add names or images of maps you played, that would help with clarification.

Thanks to everybody for battle reports so far...

Edit: uploaded picture overviews of the entire gaming room.

Encompassed about by mountain waves

Last edited by UtahScott; October 11th, 2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old October 11th, 2010, 03:08 PM

wjscaper knows what's in an order marker wjscaper knows what's in an order marker

I would if I could remember all of them. I will have to go back and look at them and add them later. I am just lucky to get this done for now. First time doing one and just feeling good I did this much. I have to get to my homework, so this will just have to work for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahScott View Post
wj,

It would help to type out your army separately.
Also, if you could add names or images of maps you played, that would help with clarification.

Thanks to everybody for battle reports so far...

Last edited by wjscaper; October 11th, 2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old October 11th, 2010, 08:29 PM

Vivaldi is surprisingly tart

My Battle Report

My army:
Originally I was going to bring 4x 4th mass and Drake(SOTM), but after some play testing and a few beat-downs I found myself wanting for a more diverse army. I made the switch about a week before the tournament, and was mainly satisfied to bring this:

Major Q9 180
Tornak 280
Nerak 330
3x Blade Gruts 450

I no longer feared rats, and had a swift element, a range element, and cheap screen figures.

Round 1:
On Velenne's Migol's Gate against one of the King clan(Yeah, I forgot his name, but it started with a J and sounded cool!).

He brought Major Q9, Laglor, KMA, and Deadeye Dan.

A solid range army for sure, but I felt my grut swarm was a great counter to his 6 figure artillery pod. I went all grut and the first round had the advancing KMA whittled down and engaged while having only a few lost gruts from queglix fire. I stuck with my swarm for the next two rounds. Midway through the third round, the KMA were gone and I had a dual wounded Q9 backed into his start zone with Laglor and DED. My final turn with the gruts I went all in: quintuple engaging Q9 with the partially wounded Tornak and Nerak and 3 gruts. While his Q9 dispatched my grut contingent I moved my Q9 into position at height directly over his start zone, while scoreing another wound on his Q9 on the way in. With an initiative switch I was able to dispatch his Q9 and begin cleanup, or so I thought. Then came the scariness. DED defended queglix fire like a champ, and got to take two potentially instant winning rolls at Q9. Luck was with me though and I was able to finish clean-up leaving me with some gruts and Q9.

Record: 1-0

Round 2:
On LongHeroScaper's Wasaru Castle against Gavin

He brought 1x Minions, 1x Sentinels, Deathwalker 7000, 1x Omnicron Snipers, Marcu, and Isamu

I've named this match "How many hits does it take a blade grut to get to the center of a Deathwalker 7000? Two." I went with a my previously mentioned grut-rush strategy against his difficult OM army. The gruts did fine and Q9 cleaned up.

Record:2-0

Round 3:

On Boiling Point against BiggaBullFrog.

He brought 1x Fen Hydra, 3x Warforged, and Heirloom.

This really was the highlight of the day for me. I had a chance to redeem myself against a known opponent, and it ended up being a very close match.

It looked like an uphill match-up from the start but I was excited to get a better test for my army. I knew my gruts would have fits with the warforged, so I needed to grab the common attack glyph. I also knew he was saving the hydra for Q9 so had to account for that as well. I won initiative and sent Q9 out to take a shot at his Hydra-- 1 wound! He opened with his warforged moving 2 towards the defense glyph and 1 towards the attack glyph. Here's where a made a big mistake. I promised myself before the tournament if I was facing a strong defensive army I wouldn't rush Tornak in to gamble with his higher attack. Well, my second order marker I decided I would rush Tornak in because he only had 1 soldier on the common attack side. I thought this could seal this glyph for me and make life much easier against his sturdy army. Well, the soldier repelled my blitz attack and dropped three skulls on Tornak in return. A whiff of 6 defense dice and Tornak was dead.

Honestly, that one loss made my orcs largely useless for the rest of the match. So I went gun blazing with Q9. And let me say, 'Q9 went on a rampage' may be an understatement. Even when Big would grab the defense glyph Q9 would throw down some skulls and Big's warforged would whiff and die. Q9 killed all of the warforged soldiers and scored some target of opportunity shots on the hydra. I was starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. As the warforged exited the map, Big came in with Heirloom and tried for numerous rounds to unseat Q9 from his perch, while Q9 mostly dodged lava field damage as well as the incoming attacks.

In the end, It was my 3 wound Q9 and a few gruts against a 3 wound Hydra on the defense glyph and a 3-wound Heirloom. Then, it finally happened and the mighty Q9 fell. I still had a chance with my gruts though; I ended up with 2 more attacks of 4 on the Hydra and 2 more of 3 or above on Heirloom, but nothing went through. GG man.

Record: 2-1

Round 4:

On Jagged Causeway against Logan H.

He brought Cyprien, Sonya, Major Q9, and 1x 10th Reg.

I call this match " Redemption: For Reals This Time". It turns out, I had played Logan before too. He handed me my only loss at Utah NHSD 2008, where he 'Jotuned' then 'Cypriened' my elf army. This time things looked like they might run the same course when on his second order marker he had Cyprien in my start zone next to my Tornak. It happened two games in a row: Chilling touch roll, 18-- dead Tornak! I had anticipated his dive though, and had my second and third markers on Q9. Around marker 2 of round 2, I finally pelted his suddenly unlucky Cyprien to the turf. Enter Q9 duel (also for the second time in the tournament). Luckily though, I was again on height and after a number of rounds and an absolute massacre of my orcs; His Q9 shut down, while mine remained woundless.

Record: 3-1

Round 5:

On Riposte by Dignan against Greg H. (The guy running the DW8000 that mowed down Braxas as previously mentioned in this thread)

He brought Deathwalker8000, 1x Fen Hydra, 2x Stingers, 2x Deathreavers

Greg was also 3-1 coming into this match, so this ended up being the difference between 3rd and 7th place. I made probably one of the biggest mistakes ever this game. We set markers, and rolled initiative. I won and attempted to snipe 8k with Q9, no luck and pretty standard. He moved up his DW8k to potentially mow down half my start zone with rapid fire special attack. He rolled one skull which my grut thankfully blocked. I revealed marker two and said " Blade gruts..." to which he responded " I don't think so". I had placed order markers 2, 3 and X on FREAKIN' NERAK! Ok, but here's the question of the day.

How many hits does it take a Glacian Swog Rider to get to the center of a Deathwalker8000? it turns out the answer here is also... two . The rest of the match was essentially a quick reversal and route. Greg had rushed his stingers in during round two and got two wounds on Q9, but my gruts quickly formed a perimeter and dispatched the rest of his army. I was left with 2 or 3 dead gruts when he conceded, having only reavers left in his start zone.

Record: 4-1 with SOS 15 and 240 points killed. Greg had the highest final SOS at a whopping 18.

Final Ranking: 3rd -- I was even SOS with the 4th place player at 15, but I had a 60 point advantage in score.

Total NHSD Record: 7-2

GGs all it was fun.
Old October 11th, 2010, 11:36 PM

BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B.I.V. View Post
Anyone who hasn't repped UtahScott, yet, go to his post at the top of page 1 and click on the little "scales" icon and leave him a nice comment.

Brandon
I keep trying to, but first I had to spread rep around and now my gun's empty. I'll get you yet, Scott. You can't hide from me.

Great report, Vivaldi. Is it weird that I still get nervous when reading over our match?

Last edited by BiggaBullfrog; October 12th, 2010 at 12:14 AM.
Old October 12th, 2010, 01:55 AM

Vivaldi is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
Great report, Vivaldi. Is it weird that I still get nervous when reading over our match?
Hehe, I know what you mean. That is part of why I love Heroscape.
Old October 12th, 2010, 06:03 AM

tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby!

Well... I just finished taking apart all the maps, and putting my terrain away into their respective homes. And side 2 of Highway 61 Revisited is spinning in the background. So I figure now is as good a time as any to post my reflections on Saturday's Warfare.

I first contacted UtahScott to see if I could attend the show a month ago today, 9/10. My motives weren't really to play - I had just had 2 maps picked up as part of Hexes in Texas 2010, and realized that it was time I actually attend a tourney to see great players in action. I'm from Vancouver, BC, originally and we had no organized play. I've mostly had to solo-scape to test my maps, and if you've never seen competitive units in skilled hands, it's pretty hard to build maps that stand up to competitive play. The next thing I know, Scott has me over at his house to play, and I'm building 9 maps for the event. Well. Played. Sir.

Going into last week, I thought I had my army in place. Largely inspired by a recent viewing of Dead Man, I had committed to a Mohican build:
4 x Mohican River Tribesman - 280
Brave Arrow - 50
Add-ons - 120
This wasn't intended to be a competitive build. But it looked like fun and I thought it would just be interesting for more traditional builds to match up against. On the first night of play-testing, I played 2 versions:
<b>

1) Core + Venoc Warlord
2) Core + RotV Raelin + Theracus
</b>

To my surprise, I was able to take down a 4 x 4th Mass + SotM Drake build with each version on a game night with Vivaldi. Map was Trouble Once Lurked Beneath:

With the Venoc Warlord build, I had speed and was able to take the hills first and keep the 4th on their heels. With the Raelin build, I didn't like how I had to keep the Mohicans in a pod. And frankly, without the Warlord, the Mohicans are slow. I was in real trouble early in that 2nd game, with some 4th and Drake gaining one of the hills. Vivaldi even suggested I concede to get another game in. But I felt like I should see it through, only to get initiative in the next round, double attack Drake with two engaged Mohicans, and finish Drake off with a 4 skulls attack from Brave Arrow... I'm pretty sure Drake whiffed and would otherwise have survived.

After 2 victories, I was starting to look at this build differently. But I wasn't happy with the Warlord - I was essentially spending 120 points for a Valda glyph with mittens. The next time out, I brought out the new and improved:

<b>

1) Core + 2 x Deathreavers + Theracus
2) Core + 3 x Deathreavers; drop a rat
</b>
With this session, Vivaldi and I tested out my latest mods to Shrine of Mo-Ne-Ca:

Vivaldi dropped his Disengage build on me during this session, the Wednesday before the tourney, and ran through my army like I wasn't there. Two matches, two beat-downs. Just ugly. Revenge I'm sure from the prior week, but not what I was hoping for in the lead-up to Saturday.

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity. So I spent Wendesday night, and Thursday and Friday scrambling for a new build. I wasn't happy with Reavers... yes they are strong defensively, but against a disengage they are really frustrating. They don't suit my preference for aggressive play, and aren't natural in my hands (just ask Vivaldi who had to remind me to take my Scatters). And when I dwelt on the Mohicans, I realized they weren't as fast as I wanted without the Warlord, and not as strong as I'd like without engaging. So on the Friday before game-day I settled on two options:
1) 4 x Heavies + Grimnak + Nerak
2) 4 x Dwarfs + extras
The Heavies build seemed too cliche, so by the end of the evening I'd finalized my build:
4 x Axegrinders of Burning Forge - 280 (essentially the way I wanted to play Mohicans, but faster with guaranteed bonding although without range)
Mogrimm Forgehammer - 120
Brave Arrow - 50 ( A great glyph grabber, and the only figure Vivaldi truly feared).

Saturday

Round 1:
On Elswin Plateau against Sam (Erevan Sunshadow, Kumiko, SotM Raelin, Ana Karithon, and 1 x Deepworm Drow)

I wish I didn't have to play this game. I was on the orange start zones, and my first 2 order markers were on Brave Arrow who ran out to secure a glyph (Valda). Sam placed his first marker on Kumiko who headed towards the glyphs, and number two on Erevan who darted on low ground towards the middle road section. With turn 3 I sent out the dwarves with Move + 2 and without Mogrimm bonding to support Brave Arrow. I 1 or 2 shotted Erevan, and Kumiko didn't last much longer. This whole game was a matter of isolating his heroes and gang attacking with dwarves. No fun for me or for him I think. I ended with a full army less 2 dwarves at the end, and I was certain this rout would come back to haunt me. More on that later.

Record: 1-0

Round 2:
On Shrine of Mo-Ne-Ca against Logan (Q9, Cyprien, Sonya, 1 x 10th Reg)

We were the last of the Castle pairs to be called, and I was relieved to see I didn't have to play on Wasaru Castle. I think the same could be said for all who sported a pure melee build. I had the blue side startzones, won initiative in Round 1, and again sent Brave Arrow out with my first order marker to secure the Defense +1 glyph. Logan started his first 3 markers on the 1 unit of 10th, and secured the Move glyph with 1 and got to the top of the shrine with the others. He fired off a few successful shots at Dwarves, but with my remaining two order markers I was able to send a dwarf over to kill the soldier on the Move glyph, and start storming the platform.

In round 2, Logan put all his order markers on the 10th, while worrying the whole time that he was in trouble... he was. With the Move glyph, the soldiers up top were soon engaged by dwarves, and Mogrimm took a tour of the cashroom underneath to pick up an Attack +1 T-Glyph, and a Move potion. At the end of the 2nd round, the soldiers were dead. And I started to move some Axegrinders and Mogrimm towards the Hive.

Round 3, Logan put all his order markers on Q9. I think he won initiative this round, and fired some shots at Brave Arrow. It was at this point I realized I hadn't been rolling my extra die on defense for the glyph Brave Arrow had secured. Logan said, "Ya, I was hoping you weren't going to notice that." My blood boiled, and for the rest of the game I was rolling red. He moved Q9 to the two-hex swamp adjacent to the glyph, but Brave Arrow just soaked up the Quexlix attacks with blue rolls. And soon I had Q9 pinned with two dwarves adjacent to Brave Arrow. I also had time to send some other dwarves to chase down Cyprien in the start zone. The rest of the game was dwarves rolling strong defence against Q9, and receiving a few casualties against Cyprien. Both eventually fell, and Sonya was gone the next turn.

Record: 2-0

Lunch:
Heading into lunch, I had lost 1 card of Axegrinders in 2 matches. I was feeling pretty strong after the match with Logan, but I still didn't feel good about that first match. Went for lunch and came back to find myself paired with ScottManDeath. My Karma is instant.

Round 3:
On Out Cold against ScottManDeath (Nilfheim, RotV Raelin, and 3 x Greenscales):

I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of this map. The 3 intermixed split start zones puts most squad based armies at a serious disadvantage when matched up against a hero-centric army. Case in point, ScottManDeath was able place all his army (less 1 lizardfolk) in one start zone, fully in Raelin's aura, while able to attack many of my units on Round 1, Turn 1. But I'm not trying to suggest that is why I lost this game.

Coming back late from lunch, we didn't start to place units until time had started. And in retrospect, concerned about getting the game in time, I rushed through the placement portion and ultimately did a terrible job of it. I ensured that I would lose this match at time of placement. As mentioned in the winner's post, I placed a full squad of dwarves with Brave Arrow in the red start-zone near the Move glyph, another squad plus Mogrimm in the zone near the 6-hex, and the remainder in the start zone opposite. To stand any chance, I think I needed to try to consolidate to 2 start zones, and then either full front assault him through the Raelin-ified green meat shields and get to Nilfheim, or preferably force him to advance Nilfheim and the lizards, and make him waste some order markers to move Raelin while opening her up to assassination.

At any rate, on Turn 1, I sent out Brave Arrow, like I had done the 2 prior games, to take the Attack +1 glyph. But ScottManDeath didn't take the bait, and essentially wiped out my dwarf squad that had previously camped aside Brave Arrow with his first bonded Nilfheim turn. Meanwhile he moved his other lizards out of harms way of an attack from my Mogrimm camp near the 6-hex in the same turn. This game was shock and awe and blitzkreig all rolled into one experience. ScottManDeath understated the level of carnage in his report, likely out of sympathy. And while he rolled red-death all game, I couldn't roll a shield, or even the correct number of dice all game. It was just a brutal, disorienting domination - I took down a mere single lizard.

From a cartographer's perspective, I didn't like the start-zones, nor the use of heavy snow in areas that were not high-ground (see the section near the 6-hex - it just prevents lateral movement and opportunities to re-group). But the real story in this match was about a very prepared and confident player punishing an under-prepared and likely out-gunned opponent. Full credit to ScottManDeath for the relentless level of aggression he displayed - it was a new level for me to experience and will influence my map and army builds moving forward.

Record: 2-1

Round 4:
On Blackroot against BiggaBullfrog (Heirloom, 1x Fen Hydra, and 3 x Warforged Soldiers):

My match in Round 3 was over pretty quickly. And I think they drew match-ups for Round 4 before all the Round 3 results came in. As a result, I was matched up against a 3-0 BiggaBullfrog in my next game after having been completely schooled by ScottManDeath.

When we first squared up, I thought I stood a decent chance in the match. My strategy was to get Mogrimm up onto an elevated perch at the side, while slowly rolling out my Axegrinders onto road spaces at my end of the map. With the Warforged, there wasn't much point to race out and secure high ground and block like I normally would. There is no blocking against Warforged - they just run up and tactical switch. So my thought was to be patient, get as many Axegrinders into a threat position as I could, and then pounce once the heavy stuff started. Brave Arrow was in a closer roll this game, since there were no power glyphs to secure.

On Round 1, Turn 1, I moved Mogrimm as a bonded hero up the road to the left behind the big tree. Over the next turns, Bigga and I slowly rolled our squads out onto the road hexes, while Mogrimm took a Defense +1 T-Glyph. Bigga eventually moved up the hill to take some shots at Mogrimm, and I moved some Axegrinders in to support. I recall taking out a few Warforged early, but soon afterwards, I started struggling to roll skulls. Without a special attack in my army, and with Commander's Strike essentially moot, I got frustrated by Warforged Resolve and made the mistake that cost me the game.

Rather than pull Mogrimm back and regroup to support my dwarves on the right-side, I sent Mogrimm forward onto Bigga's side of the Hive to try for a Commander's Strike, Mogrimm 4-dice attack combo on two of the soldiers. The strike failed as it should have, and his Warforged Resolve plus shield mocked my meager 2 skulls from Mogrimm. With Mogrimm this far advanced, I was now committed to fighting it out in my opponent's territory, right next to his reserves, and too far away from my own reserves to ensure I could get my full compliment of attacks in per turn. Sure enough, my Axegrinders started to thin out, and Mogrimm took damage.

With time running out though, I got lucky with 3 consecutive rolls. I recall rolling 4, then 3, then 4 skulls against Bigga's Hydra with Dwarves... really desperate attacks that managed to come up red. So entirely against the flow of play, I found myself in reasonable shape with a full life Brave Arrow and a couple of Axegrinders to his 4 life Heirloom and 1 soldier. And then time expired. I had no business being in contention at this point, and rightly lost on points. BiggaBullfrog don't sweat the points win... the better player wound up on top.

Record: 2-2

Round 5:
On Elswin Plateau against Daniel (?) (Q9, Krav Maga Agents, Airborne Elite, Izumi Samarai)

My last match found me on the same map as I had started the day on. This time, I faced another hodge podge army, but one with a little more fire power than the first game. In round 1, I put my first 2 order markers on Brave Arrow, intending run out and take a power glyph. My opponent decided to take the bait, and with their first order marker on the Krav he ran in for 3 shots on Brave Arrow. Shot 1 - block. Shot 2 - Conceal. Shot 3 - Conceal. I just love Brave Arrow in terms of survivability against range, but the chance to take a shot at one of the Krav on his second turn was too much to resist. Up ran Brave Arrow engaging 2 agents, down went 1 agent at the wrong end of 4 attack dice.

With my third order marker on the Axegrinders, I opted to not take a turn with Mogrimm, and rushed some dwarves out to support Brave Arrow. By the end of Round 2, I took down the remaining Krav, secured both power glyphs with dwarves, and had started whittling down the Izumi. In round 3, I cleared out the Izumi, and Daniel wasted order marker after order marker on Q9 targeting Brave Arrow - and most of the time with single shots from 7 range. He also couldn't get the airborne to drop, so I pressed a little harder than necessary with my dwarves to try and take out Q9 who had turtled in the far left hand corner. I think I forgot my 4 dice defense for awhile, and Q9 was having success defending attacks while clearing out the pests on his turn. Eventually the Airborne dropped but it was a non-event - I had moved up enough dwarves to pick them off with Mogrimm and Axegrinders in relatively short order. And once I moved Mogrimm over, Q9 finally fell. If I was worried about giving up points, I didn't play this well. But I thought it was important to get the knockout.

Game 5 was a little anti-climatic after games 3 and 4. There were no echoes of Wagner like I had experienced against ScottManDeath. Nor did I feel like I was being out-played against a roughly equal army like I had against BiggaBullfrog.

Final Record: 3-2
Place: 8th (16 SoS).

I'll take some solace in the fact that both my losses came against the undefeated. But the fact is, I could have played better if I had prepared better... you can't expect to compete and win at this level with putting in the time to study the armies and maps beforehand. I'm also pleased that Shrine of Mo-Ne-Ca played as well as it did - I'm hearing battle reports of melee armies taking down range, of Deathwalker 8000s that delivered punishment instead of disappointment, and a Drake that grapple armed to the top-hex to engage a dragon. Very good stuff, and worth the time I put in to try and make it balanced.

And speaking of time, I want to call out UtahScott to recognize all the effort that went into putting the show together. Having built my share of maps in the weeks leading up, as well figuring out map transport boards, setting up the day before, marking glyph and start zone placements the day of, etc., I can assure you that an event like we all experienced on Saturday does not come off without someone's sacrifice. UtahScott put it all together and didn't get to play a single game that I saw... And now that it's over, I hope he's able to re-focus on his family and the important people in his life that also sacrificed while he was busy organizing.

Sorry if the above is long-winded. Just wanted to get it all down.

Cheers,

~tgx

Last edited by tannergx; October 18th, 2010 at 05:19 PM. Reason: I came in 8th, not 7th... not that it matters much :)
Old October 12th, 2010, 01:54 PM

ScottManDeath knows what's in an order marker ScottManDeath knows what's in an order marker

Nice report, especially regarding the genesis of your army!

And now it makes sense why there was a second set of French cards in the heroes package. I already suspected that it was intended for the Canadian market, but wasn't exactly sure how it ended up here.

I like Shrine of Mo-Ne-Ca (even without the modifications), which I playtested on. The gradual increase of height, and the 2 plateau levels make it rather balanced, so it is possible to stand a chance and e.g. sneak around behind and use the ladders/ tree cover to engange the units on top.

P.S. I'm think that that game would have played quite differently on another map with proper starting zones and less (unnecessary) difficult terrain; my mother's maiden name of Wagner would have been less helpful there.
Old October 12th, 2010, 04:03 PM

UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla UtahScott is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

@ tgx & ScottManDeath --

Sorry, boys, one of the things I knew I forgot was placards listing map details. I clarified it late on the maps post, but Out Cold was normal ice and snow; I asked the designer to make sure (he said in playtesting normal/heavy snow made no difference, but slippery ice sure made it tough to get the Astrid Glyph). When in doubt, ask, eh? I told several people, but most of the players never knew....

I'll do the map placards early next year.

Encompassed about by mountain waves
Old October 12th, 2010, 04:21 PM

tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Nice report, especially regarding the genesis of your army!
Glad you liked it. I started around 11pm last night and didn't finish until 4am. There were a couple of times I thought about cutting short with a "to be continued." But once I started I felt like I had to finish it. I was worried the army genesis back-story might have been self-indulgent, so it's reassuring to hear it was interesting.

Quote:
And now it makes sense why there was a second set of French cards in the heroes package.
So you opened it! With Nilfheim already in your build, I was worried that set might go directly to the secondary market. I'm feeling better already about donating it now that I know you might have needed it.

Quote:
I like Shrine of Mo-Ne-Ca (even without the modifications), which I playtested on. The gradual increase of height, and the 2 plateau levels make it rather balanced, so it is possible to stand a chance and e.g. sneak around behind and use the ladders/ tree cover to engange the units on top.
This is great feedback SMD. I think I prefer the current version with the Hive (credit to UtahScott), but I'm just very pleased that I could work a platform structure into a map that doesn't seem out of place at a tournament. The shrine concept was all my wife's... I would never have been as bold on my own. So my job was to work with the brush, road tiles, ladders and glyphs to balance (most) everything out.

Quote:
my mother's maiden name of Wagner
This fact does not surprise me in the slightest. As demoralizing as it was, I wish more people had watched what you did in that match. It was both terrifying and elegant at the same time. The closest thing to a perfect storm that I've ever experienced in Heroscape... the Kyrie maiden-warrior in your army made it even more fitting. With regard to the map, I don't think it helped me at all. Perhaps something longer like Elswin Plateau might have gave me a chance. I needed to stretch you out and create some separation between your units I think.

Perhaps next time.

~tgx
Old October 12th, 2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Sorry, boys, one of the things I knew I forgot was placards listing map details. I clarified it late on the maps post, but Out Cold was normal ice and snow
Not to worry. Serves me right for not doing my homework.

Last edited by tannergx; October 12th, 2010 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Spelling...
Old October 13th, 2010, 08:37 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

tannergx - I loved your report. I felt like I was playing for you!

I feel like I do this a lot - read a battle report of someone I don't know and then point out some random rules quibble, but I just want to make sure that, if someone did play something wrong, they know better for next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannergx View Post
On Round 1, Turn 1, I moved Mogrimm as a bonded hero up the road to the left behind the big tree. Over the next turns, Bigga and I slowly rolled our squads out onto the road hexes, while Mogrimm took a Defense +1 T-Glyph. Bigga eventually moved up the hill to take some shots at Mogrimm, and I moved some Axegrinders in to support. I recall taking out a few Warforged early, but soon afterwards, I started struggling to roll skulls. Without a special attack in my army, and with Commander's Strike essentially moot, I got frustrated by Warforged Resolve and made the mistake that cost me the game.
2 things I see:

1) Having a special attack wouldn't have helped against Warforged Resolve anyway - it works against both normal and special attacks.

2) Why was Commander's Strike moot??? I'd have thought it would be one of your best weapons to use in this game, able to bypass Warforged Resolve and the Hydra's big defense. Were you maybe playing that Warforged Resolve blocked 1 wound from anything? It only works on normal and special attacks....

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports