Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old June 1st, 2010, 07:27 PM

Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Need some help with a project . . .

I'm working on a dungeon set and I need some input. I'd like to made a modular system that would have all the parts for building a dungeon either for D&D or for an RPG or just for regular old Heroscape.

So far I have a two hex long and a three hex long wall. What other parts do you think I would need to make? Doors? single hex walls? corners? I'm kind of stumped here as I haven't ever played any other board game besides Heroscape.
Old June 1st, 2010, 08:01 PM

Gypsy has disabled reputation
Re: Need some help with a project . . .

Do they attach to the sides, like the bridge; or, do they sit on top?

A single hex, a corner, doors, would be awesome. Just my opinion, but, if possible; corners in 3 varieties.

1. regular 90 degree corner

2. 2 adjacent 90 degree corners, in a T, to help transition from one room to another, without using 2 tiles

3. 4 adjacent 90 degree corners, in a +, to reduce the usage of Piece #1 also.

Again, just my opinion.

Hope this helps.

"Finally, a New Exit from the Underdark..."
Old June 1st, 2010, 08:09 PM

Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I planned on everything just sitting on top. I have the walls mounted to hex shaped bases that just cover the textured tops. I'll get some pics of what I have so far tomorrow.

I don't think 90° corners will work given the 60° sides of a hex. I think this is where I'm getting tripped up.
Old June 1st, 2010, 08:29 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Try to build something where the terrain has quad-spaces built-in, but you can put hexes under or over it., kind like ozzy-scape's ruined church.

Spoiler Alert!
Old June 1st, 2010, 08:34 PM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

It all really depends on what kind of dungeon you're envisioning.

Something built up in a cave network would have many rock outcroppings, a few doors and constructed walls, often there would be some kind of cage/holding cell, and some objects of interest (altars and such). Remember that the guys in the dungeon usually live there so there will be beds, storage, and furniture (when appropriate). If you're going for more of a constructed dungeon, you'll want more walls and doors, light sources, furniture, and various curios.

The best way to fill out a dungeon (at least in an RPG setting) is to figure out (generally) who's going to be in it and ask yourself, "what would these guys have and what would they need?"

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 04:51 PM

Alright, here are some pics of where I'm at right now:

Here are all the pieces ready for the texture machine.

Setup on the board to show a simple configuration.

All the walls I have built so far.

I've got enough pieces for about 5 times this much. I want to figure out what I need next before I proceed.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 04:59 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Raud, this is looking great!

Check out Grungebob's Dungeons for some ideas.

And Skyknight's Hirst art terrain thread....

I would also strongly suggest you consider doing 90 degree corners. Here is a rough mock up of how it could be done.

Last edited by Cavalier; June 2nd, 2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 05:18 PM

Thanks Cav! On your mockup, the 5-hex piece in the middle, do you think the wasted hexes taken up by the base are too much of a loss? I could put rubble there but I'd rather see then usable.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 05:20 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raudulfr Shieldcrusher View Post
Thanks Cav! On your mockup, the 5-hex piece in the middle, do you think the wasted hexes taken up by the base are too much of a loss? I could put rubble there but I'd rather see then usable.
Only the center one would be absolutely unusable. The other 4, might possibly still be usable, although with the thickness of the walls, most likely not. I think that would then become the perfect location for 'flavor'. Rubble, crates, barrels, statues, founts, etc.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 05:22 PM
A Jacquee in Disguise?

Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth

Sweet looking walls

They do seem to need some corner pieces though. Personally, I would have all the walls meet like the two on the far right, then fill the empty space with hexagon shaped turret. That would make it easier to have multiple walls intersect, and keep the system pretty modular.

Great job, I can't wait to see more of this project.

My Repaints and Mods: Updated 1-13
My Custom Cards: Updated 4-15
My Custom Superheroes: Updated 1-13
My figure images for online games:
Alliance figures, Utgar figures
My Etsy Store
Old June 2nd, 2010, 05:24 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
I would also strongly suggest you consider doing 90 degree corners. Here is a rough mock up of how it could be done.
You could either have the wall skinny enough to not be obstructive to either side or you could move the line over half a hex so it covers one jagged row of hexes. Props to Cav for making the image - I am too lazy/busy to do this image over like I am describing.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 09:11 PM
http://www.wyoming.gov/

Uchiha Blood knows what's in an order marker Uchiha Blood knows what's in an order marker

As to figuring out what other pieces you may want to make, considering you seem to be going for a man made structure, I would suggest looking at the D&D adventure, Keep on the Shadowfell. I think they get to the actual dungeon part around page 40. Though before that they have a map of a kobold hideout. Here: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/H1.pdf (I would make a link, but I'm using my Ipod right now).

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions