Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs > C3V Public Playtesting
C3V Public Playtesting Forum for discussion of C3V public playtests. Only C3V members can create new threads, but all others can post to those threads.

Old March 4th, 2021, 04:14 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is hot lava death! kevindola is hot lava death! kevindola is hot lava death! kevindola is hot lava death! kevindola is hot lava death! kevindola is hot lava death! kevindola is hot lava death! kevindola is hot lava death! kevindola is hot lava death! kevindola is hot lava death! kevindola is hot lava death! kevindola is hot lava death! kevindola is hot lava death! kevindola is hot lava death!
Ataraxis the Starlich Public Playtesting

-Figure Photo
Spoiler Alert!

-text version of the card
Spoiler Alert!

Combinations & Synergies

Synergy Benefits Offered
- Terror Enhancement Field: Terrifying figures
The following figures benefit from Ataraxis's Terror Enhancement Field:

- Skeletons of Annellintia: Necromancy & Reanimation
As a Unique Lady, the Skeletons of Annellintia may place destroyed Skeletons on Ataraxis's card, and Reanimate those Skeletons adjacent to Ataraxis when revealing an Order Marker on the Skeletons of Annellintia.

Synergy Benefits Received

Synergy Benefits Imposed
- Van Nessing: Divine Mission
When Van Nessing takes a turn using the "X" Order Marker with his Divine Mission special power, he rolls 2 additional attack dice against Undead figures, including Ataraxis.

Rulings and Clarifications:
Quote:
Q: If Ataraxis is on a Unique Hero's Army Card, and that Unique Hero is killed by a Zombie of Morrindan, what happens first, Zombies Rise Again, or the resurrection from Nanobot Virus Phylactery?
A: Zombies Rise Again
, due to the "immediately" in the power.

Q: If Ataraxis is on a Unique Hero's Army Card, and that Unique Hero also has an Ebon Armor on its Army Card, when that Unique Hero dies what happens first the resurrection from Eternal War or the resurrection from Nanobot Virus Phylactery?
A: It is a roll-off to determine which happens first.

Q: If Ataraxis is on a Unique Hero's Army Card due to Nanobot Virus Phylactery, and that Unique Hero dies from something other than a normal attack, special attack, or leaving engagement attack, or Ataraxis cannot be placed, what happens to Ataraxis?
A: Ataraxis remains on that Unique Hero's Army Card. If that Unique Hero is resurrected, Ataraxis may replace the figure the next time it dies.

Q: If Ataraxis is hit by Shurrak is dies due to falling damage from Knockback, can Nanobot Virus Phylactery be used?
A: No. The damage is due to the fall, not from the attack or special attack.

Q: Can Ataraxis be revived by the Glyph of Sturla while on the Army Card of a Unique Hero?
A: Yes. Ataraxis is destroyed and can be revived normally. Obviously Nanobot Virus Phylatery cannot be used to return Ataraxis to the battlefield afterward because she is already on the battlefield.

Last edited by kevindola; June 14th, 2021 at 12:05 PM.
Old March 4th, 2021, 11:42 PM

Captain Stupendous wears ripped pants of awesomeness Captain Stupendous wears ripped pants of awesomeness Captain Stupendous wears ripped pants of awesomeness Captain Stupendous wears ripped pants of awesomeness Captain Stupendous wears ripped pants of awesomeness Captain Stupendous wears ripped pants of awesomeness Captain Stupendous wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Ataraxis the Starlich Public Playtesting

Map: Highways or the High Way https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1...2gbNNPdGI/edit

Army 1: Marcu Esenwein, Ataraxis, Zombies of Morindan x6,Isamu

Army 2: Acolytes x6, Skull Demon, Corvor, Isamu

Which units survived? 6 Acolytes and Isamu

Heroscaperguy and I both began the game by developing figures onto the eastern plateau. I used Necrotizing Wormhole to develop Ataraxis faster than she would have been able to otherwise and get an early shot at a lone Acolyte, however the 4Av3D shot was blocked. After this I switched over to using all zombies with Ataraxis in position. Unfortunately, the lone Acolyte that I’d failed to kill summoned Corvor, who advanced to engage and kill Ataraxis in either one or two attacks (I think it was a single OM.) However, this left Corvor in a bad position and able to be swarmed with Zombies, so I placed Ataraxis on Corvor hoping that he would soon die to the Zombie onslaught and Ataraxis would return to support my Zombies. Over the next several rounds I was able to make multiple Zombie Onslaught attacks against Corvor while developing my Zombies’ position to the west as well. However, my onslaught rolls were very poor. The five onslaught attacks I rolled against Corvor resulted in 2, 3, 1, 1, and 2 skulls each. Eventually Corvor did fall, but by that point I only had 4 zombies left as Heroscaperguy had been consistently attacking them with his Acolytes. Two of my remaining zombies were too far to the west of Ataraxis’s position for her to help them immediately and they fell before she was able to get in position.

Meanwhile, Heroscaperguy summoned in the Skull Demon and advanced him to kill Ataraxis. I was able to advance Marcu and start attacking the skull demon, who fell quickly due to some lucky rolls and revived Ataraxis once more. Marcu and Ataraxis mounted a brave defense against the remaining Acolytes, but there were simply too many of them. They killed Ataraxis first as that was where all my OMs were, who haunted Marcu, then they killed Marcu. However, Ataraxis was immediately killed the same turn in which she was revived after rolling 0 shields against a 3 skull attack from an Acolyte. Isamu was out of range of her phylactery, and he tried to do some shenanigans, but ultimately failed a vanish roll to die after killing one Acolyte.

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play?

Wormhole used: 2
Enhanced Attacks: 2
Enhanced Kills/Wounds: 2 Acolytes killed by Marcu
Disengages Prevented: 0
Revivals: 3 (Haunted Corvor, then Skull Demon, then Marcu)

Ataraxis made three normal attacks from height which failed to kill any Acolytes.

Any additional comments (theme, balance, fun factor with and against)?

I’ve got quite a few additional comments Overall my first impressions of Ataraxis are very positive. She's an extremely unique design with a wide assortment of potential synergy implications and effects that she brings as a cheerleader for undead/terrifying figures. I think that combining a revival power along with cheerleader stats and powers is a clever way to avoid the repeated kamikaze style play that Azazel encourages. I also really appreciate that all three powers don't require clear sight. Since she's already a relatively complicated figure, not needing to remember which of her three abilities require sight and which don't is nice. All you need to do is remember that she never needs LOS for her abilities and you're good to go.

At this point my main critique is that the card feels a little “busy” and could probably stand to be simplified a bit. As far as ways that the overall design could be streamlined, I think the best way would be to simplify Terror Enhancement Field:

Quote:
TERROR ENHANCEMENT FIELD
Opponents' figures within 4 spaces of Ataraxis roll 1 fewer defense die against terrifying figures. and cannot move or be moved by any special power on an Army Card or Glyph if the movement would cause a leaving engagement attack from a terrifying figure.
This reduces the wording of the power by over 50%, and IMO the gameplay implications of the additional movement restrictions don't quite justify the added complexity to an already busy design. After our game I asked Heroscaperguy if there was ever an instance when he would have considered making a disengagement that the Terror Field prevented, and he said there really wasn’t. There's also the fact that the power is to my mind a bit thematically odd. I understand that the power is intended to convey the theme of freezing enemies in terror. However, I think an even more common association with terror is to "flee in terror," which this power ironically prevents enemies from doing entirely. Also, in keeping with the "frozen in terror" interpretation of the theme it doesn't quite make sense that affected figures are still free to attack and move around the Terrifying figures as long as they don't leave engagement.

The name “Terror Enhancement Field” also doesn’t feel quite right to me. I think part of what strikes me as strange is that Terrifying figures don't inherently debuff enemies themselves, whereas the word "enhancement" in Heroscape typically implies an improved version of an existing ability or stat, if that makes sense? As possible alternatives, I think I'd like the names FEAR INDUCTION FIELD or TERROR STIMULATOR a lot more based on what the power does. Again, I realize my thematic observations are subjective quibbles; as I offer my two cents, I trust the c3v knows what it's doing :slight_smile:

Another thing that Heroscaperguy and I observed is that the wording for Nanobot Virus Phylactery currently prevents Ataraxis from being revived if she is on the card of an enemy medium hero, and that hero is killed by friendly zombies. Because the Zombies’ ZOMBIES RISE AGAIN power is mandatory and revived Zombies are placed immediately upon the destruction of the enemy figure, there is no longer any space to revive Ataraxis. This is unfortunate as it quite significantly limits her utility within an otherwise very synergistic and thematic army. I would recommend updating the text for Nanobot Virus Phylactery to cause her revival to occur at the same time as the Zombies’ revival, so that the active player could choose which would occur first:
Quote:
When Ataraxis is destroyed, you may remove all wound markers from this card and place Ataraxis on the card of any Unique Hero within 5 spaces of Ataraxis. For the entire game, if a Unique Hero with your Ataraxis on its card is destroyed by a normal or special attack or a leaving engagement attack, immediately place Ataraxis on a space the destroyed figure occupied, if possible.
Most of these suggestions are relatively minor, and I’m very excited to see how everyone’s favorite Starlich develops in the weeks and months to come

Version tested

Spoiler Alert!

Game Stats
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by Captain Stupendous; March 5th, 2021 at 11:13 AM.
Old May 23rd, 2021, 04:00 PM

Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness

If Ataraxis dies with Skeletons of Annellintia on her and is placed on a unique hero, if she comes back, does she retain the skeletons that were on her?

What GenCon taught me was to assume only one skull on three dice!
Old May 23rd, 2021, 04:10 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Yes.

Old May 23rd, 2021, 04:41 PM

Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Yes.
Thanks! Working on play testing armies!

Old May 27th, 2021, 01:47 PM

Played on a custom map by Stephen Guest

Army 1: Ataraxis the Starlich, Zombiesx4, Iskra, Rechets

Army 2: Grabermund, Childrenx4, Sentinels of Grax

Round One. I moved the Lich on turn one, then slowly moved my zombies up in turn two and three. Tiamat moved the Children with two OM for two turns (moving 5 each time) and moved Grabermund on OM 3.

Round Two. I have the zombies up around Ataraxis, but lost the initiative and tiamat moved the BIGMOUTH in (more about Grabermund in the Grabermund thread) and started killing and eating zombies. Here is where the Lich really started to shine. Since the battle had moved to within 4 spaces of her, I was able to harness the power of Terror Enhancement and the zombies started working with the one less defense die. I did not kill a Child, but put a couple of wounds on Grabermund in turn 1 and 2. Grabermund killed and ate a couple of more zombie to finish off his turn.

Round Three. The munching and zombie attacks continued, and I finally got a child kill to get a zombie back. The children were starting to take a toll with their enhancement on the zombies. But eveything changed when Iskra got order marker 3 and the Rechets dropped. I quickly surrounded Grabermund and had 4 attacks of 3 on 1 (terror enhancement). Down goes Grabermund!!

rest of the game. Tiamat and I went back and forth with Children attacking zombies and Rechets, and zombies turning Children. I stayed in the Aura for most of it, which really helped. Eventually the Grax moved it, and I had enough attacks of 4 (rechets from height and Ataraxis from height) on 5 or 6 to finish them off.

Finished the game with 3 zombies, a rechet, a 1 life Iskra and a full life Ataraxis.

Summary: I would have loved to have place Ataraxis on another hero, but she was only attacked once. I did not Wormhole. I used the Terror Enhancement most of the game (Tiamat did not have ranged figures) which really helped.

Conclusions: I thought that the cost of 160 points for a 3 life figure was way too high before the game started. I now feel that it is a good price as long as it is fighting a melee army (no conclusion against a ranged army). Terrifying figures gain a nice advantage when they are in the Aura. We will test it next time with some range. Thematically, She works very well with an undead army, and really enhances the build and overall feel of the army. Against range, I am a little concerned about Nanobot since it will be hard to use if everyone is staying back since you have to use order markers to move her. Maybe an increase of 1 in range. Other than that, She is really fun to play and gives a nice "creepy" feel to some of the terrifying armies.

One other thing I thought would fit with the "terrifying" feature would be that characters couldn't move at all while engaged. I do not like that they can reposition. I would make it more like cyberclaw.

Last edited by Muskie; May 27th, 2021 at 03:04 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old May 27th, 2021, 03:46 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Wow, super cool design! Really digging the Zombie and all around Undead love here.
Sweet looking mini as well. Sort of reminds of the space vampire from Buck Rogers.
Old May 27th, 2021, 07:00 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

FYI from your Playtesting Department:

The range of Ataraxis' first two powers has been changed to 5 spaces, to match her Range and the Phylactery power.

Old May 27th, 2021, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
FYI from your Playtesting Department:

The range of Ataraxis' first two powers has been changed to 5 spaces, to match her Range and the Phylactery power.
I like that better. Plan on putting her on the board again in a couple of days to go against range.

Old July 4th, 2021, 04:03 PM

BodaciousBlood knows what's in an order marker BodaciousBlood knows what's in an order marker

Map: Marshall Law

Army 1: 
Grabermund

Z’thoth

Children of the dark star x3

Army 2: 
Ataraxis

Iskra
Rechets of Bogdan
Skeletons of Annellintia x2

Remaining figures

2 life Ataraxis
2 skeletons
Full life Isrka 
unsummoned rechets

Ataraxis is a very busy card but I am very pleased with the level of gameplay she provided for the Skeletons build! I would say that she is a better fit for the skeletons than any of the Esenwein clan. What she provides the skeletons is not only an opportunity for rebirth, she provides a much needed cheerleader. All of her abilities allow the Undead Legion to succeed. I was much more eager to bring her up into the mix on a single OM each round than I would have been with a Cyprien, Iskra, Nicholas, etc. 
I think run it back and have Cyprien instead of Ataraxis in this army, I would say the Outsiders would take the victory.

Thoughts on powers:

Necrotizing Wormhole: 

I LOVE this ability. I appreciate the theme. Additionally, the utility of this power is perfect. Not only can you use it to advance more slow skeletons into the action, I was able to get out of sticky situations while keeping the enemy engaged with a new skeleton to face-off with. Her 5 range normal attack also makes this an incredibly cool ability. You have more liberty to press forward and then bolt backward and attacking from a safe distance.

Terror Enhancement Field:
The ultimate ability on Ataraxis’s card is Terror Enhancement Field. This was a game changer against low defense squaddies like the Children and low defense heroes like Grabermund. 5 range is quite a lot for this. However, for the sake of keeping things streamlined across all 3 abilities (Wormhole, normal attack, terror field) it is best to only have to remember a single number. 

notable stats:
caused a 0/4 defense on Zthoth from 3/3 attack from skeleton

caused 0/2 defense. One wound on Grabermund
 from Ataraxis
caused 0/2 defense - 3 wounds on grabermund from skeleton. Killed grabermund

Nanobot Virus Phylactery: 
I didn’t have to use this power. But, I like the idea of it quite a bit. Being able to place it on either friendly or enemy heroes is pretty cool and can create some good strategic gameplay. It made me consider army building a little more. Ex. I chose Iskra and Rechets instead of one more squad of skeletons so that I could give myself one more hero to use this power on.

Overall thoughts: 
I like the blend of sci-fi and fantasy. Her range plus her special abilities are really quite cool. I was able to be a little more bullish with her because of her rebirth ability. But I was also able to keep her safe due to the protection of the skeletons. All in all, good figure. I think it is priced appropriately.

The one thing I wonder is if 5 range is too much… Could all abilities be 4 range rather than 5? I don’t know the answer to that. She may be worth less than 160 at that point. But most aura abilities have a base range of 4. 

I also am wondering if we just scratch the movement penalty of the Terror Enhancement Field. The card is wordy enough and I wonder if that portion of the ability is really a game changer.
Old July 5th, 2021, 01:30 PM

BodaciousBlood knows what's in an order marker BodaciousBlood knows what's in an order marker

Map: Battlefield 23 (Wannok & Dagmar)

Army 1:
Ataraxis
Skeletons of Annelintia x2
Isrka Esenwein
Rechets of Bogdan

Army 2:
Ziggo
Goblin Slashers x4
Bugbear Basher
Morgoloth

Remaining figures:
2 Goblin Slashers
2 life Morgoloth

Tried out the same army composition against a different playtest army to see how it fared against more squaddies. This was a very close game. Had I not rolled so poorly with Necromancy, it would have been a victory for the Star Lich.

Ataraxis was AWESOME in this game. Was able to get full use out of her powers and some big swingy plays made the game quite interesting.

I advanced with the skeletons and 3rd OM on Ataraxis. Ataraxis's Terror Field was critical in this melee vs. melee matchup. The Terror field was responsible for the death of 11 goblins. Necromancy/reanimation was nice to use simply because I had Ataraxis more forward than I would with an Esenwein figure.

Ataraxis was killed, but placed on Iskra. With the skeletons waning, I switched my OM's to a desperate Iskra Esenwein. She was surrounded by gobbos, luckily on her first OM, she summoned the rechets to take out the surrounding Slashers. With only 3 slashers left, one of those on Wannok, Iskra was finally brought down and was replaced with Ataraxis.

3 goblins + Bugbear (full life) + 2-life Morgoloth vs. Ataraxis + 2 Rechets.
Things were not looking good. Ataraxis killed a goblin. The Bugbear bashed Ataraxis. Ataraxis was placed on the Bugbears card. Then, by a miracle, a rechet landed a Lethal Sting on the bugbear and killed it; reviving Ataraxis for her third life!!! EPIC and FUN!

Rechet is killed by Wannok. Now it is 2 gobbos + 2- life Morgoloth vs Ataraxis.

Ataraxis leaves engagement to get an attack down on Morgoloth. (takes a wound on LEA) Then, Morgoloth comes to finish the job.

Very fun match. Ataraxis was a very fun and integral piece to the game. Used all of her abilities. Wormhole was very nice for getting skeletons into position. Plus, getting Ataraxis out of danger. Terror field makes the skeletons even better. And Phylactery ability was just epic and fun.

10/10 recommend this figure. She is ready for the table!
Old July 5th, 2021, 01:52 PM

Captain Stupendous wears ripped pants of awesomeness Captain Stupendous wears ripped pants of awesomeness Captain Stupendous wears ripped pants of awesomeness Captain Stupendous wears ripped pants of awesomeness Captain Stupendous wears ripped pants of awesomeness Captain Stupendous wears ripped pants of awesomeness Captain Stupendous wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodaciousBlood View Post
Map: Battlefield 23 (Wannok & Dagmar)

Army 1:
Ataraxis
Skeletons of Annelintia x2
Isrka Esenwein
Rechets of Bogdan

Army 2:
Ziggo
Goblin Slashers x4
Bugbear Basher
Morgoloth

Remaining figures:
2 Goblin Slashers
2 life Morgoloth

Tried out the same army composition against a different playtest army to see how it fared against more squaddies. This was a very close game. Had I not rolled so poorly with Necromancy, it would have been a victory for the Star Lich.

Ataraxis was AWESOME in this game. Was able to get full use out of her powers and some big swingy plays made the game quite interesting.

I advanced with the skeletons and 3rd OM on Ataraxis. Ataraxis's Terror Field was critical in this melee vs. melee matchup. The Terror field was responsible for the death of 11 goblins. Necromancy/reanimation was nice to use simply because I had Ataraxis more forward than I would with an Esenwein figure.

Ataraxis was killed, but placed on Iskra. With the skeletons waning, I switched my OM's to a desperate Iskra Esenwein. She was surrounded by gobbos, luckily on her first OM, she summoned the rechets to take out the surrounding Slashers. With only 3 slashers left, one of those on Wannok, Iskra was finally brought down and was replaced with Ataraxis.

3 goblins + Bugbear (full life) + 2-life Morgoloth vs. Ataraxis + 2 Rechets.
Things were not looking good. Ataraxis killed a goblin. The Bugbear bashed Ataraxis. Ataraxis was placed on the Bugbears card. Then, by a miracle, a rechet landed a Lethal Sting on the bugbear and killed it; reviving Ataraxis for her third life!!! EPIC and FUN!

Rechet is killed by Wannok. Now it is 2 gobbos + 2- life Morgoloth vs Ataraxis.

Ataraxis leaves engagement to get an attack down on Morgoloth. (takes a wound on LEA) Then, Morgoloth comes to finish the job.

Very fun match. Ataraxis was a very fun and integral piece to the game. Used all of her abilities. Wormhole was very nice for getting skeletons into position. Plus, getting Ataraxis out of danger. Terror field makes the skeletons even better. And Phylactery ability was just epic and fun.

10/10 recommend this figure. She is ready for the table!
Hey, thanks so much for the playtest bodacious! Glad to hear Ataraxis is landing so well for you; she's one of my favorite upcoming designs as well. I was just curious, did the movement penalty aspect of her aura end up affecting anything this game? I know you had previously said you thought that part of the ability could be removed, and wondered if this game did anything to change your mind.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs > C3V Public Playtesting