Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs > C3V Public Playtesting
C3V Public Playtesting Forum for discussion of C3V public playtests. Only C3V members can create new threads, but all others can post to those threads.

Old July 5th, 2021, 01:59 PM

Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Ataraxis the Starlich Public Playtesting

I have now played her four times and enjoy the figure very much. I like that she is not an order marker dump (with bonding) so that you still are working how to work the OM. She is wonderfully thematic and plays an important roll in the army. I appreciate the 5 range beacause it gave her some protection from range (the victim must be within 5, so the undead can be at 4). I played with 4 range, and liked the 5 better for finding some protection from range.

What GenCon taught me was to assume only one skull on three dice!
Old July 5th, 2021, 02:50 PM

BodaciousBlood knows what's in an order marker BodaciousBlood knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stupendous View Post

Hey, thanks so much for the playtest bodacious! Glad to hear Ataraxis is landing so well for you; she's one of my favorite upcoming designs as well. I was just curious, did the movement penalty aspect of her aura end up affecting anything this game? I know you had previously said you thought that part of the ability could be removed, and wondered if this game did anything to change your mind.
You know what... It really didn't affect it again. I thought it would considering the Slashers ability. But as I understand it, they can still disengage and use their Strategic Retreat ability as it is not causing a leaving engagement attack.

Plus with Morgoloth, the goblins were able to disengage freely. That also negated that power a bit.

It still felt like it was never utilized and has lower utility than the rest of her card.
Old July 5th, 2021, 04:54 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is hot lava death! kevindola is hot lava death! kevindola is hot lava death! kevindola is hot lava death! kevindola is hot lava death! kevindola is hot lava death! kevindola is hot lava death! kevindola is hot lava death! kevindola is hot lava death! kevindola is hot lava death! kevindola is hot lava death! kevindola is hot lava death! kevindola is hot lava death! kevindola is hot lava death!

I had a nasty experience with it once testing against Avernus who was really neutered not being able to disengage, but outside of that it seems like it hasn't come up so much. But boy that Avernus game was frustrating for me.

More like Greater Scaredy Elemental.
Old July 7th, 2021, 09:32 PM

BodaciousBlood knows what's in an order marker BodaciousBlood knows what's in an order marker

Played with her again today. Not much need for a full play test report. Pretty similar findings. This one I played with another person piloting the other army (Romans, Mogrimm, NGS, MBS) still not much reason to want to disengage. My thoughts are this: very crippling to the few figures that want to leave engagement (Avernus, Valgaurd), but if those are the only reasons that power exists… maybe best to cut it. The card feels complete without it, imho.

Each game I’ve played, both myself and the opponent have thought this figure very fun to play with and against.
Old July 28th, 2021, 11:45 PM

Blue Trails rolls all skulls baby! Blue Trails rolls all skulls baby! Blue Trails rolls all skulls baby! Blue Trails rolls all skulls baby! Blue Trails rolls all skulls baby!

Does Terror Enhancement Field prevent figures with Disengage from leaving an engagement? Similarly, can a special power like Carry, Goblin Retreat, or Spear of Summoning move a figure affected by Terror Enhancement Field out of an engagement? I ask because I recently playtested Ataraxis, but I am beginning to suspect I misunderstood this power during the game.
Old July 30th, 2021, 01:36 PM

SchismaticSounds rolls all skulls baby! SchismaticSounds rolls all skulls baby! SchismaticSounds rolls all skulls baby! SchismaticSounds rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Trails View Post
Does Terror Enhancement Field prevent figures with Disengage from leaving an engagement? Similarly, can a special power like Carry, Goblin Retreat, or Spear of Summoning move a figure affected by Terror Enhancement Field out of an engagement? I ask because I recently playtested Ataraxis, but I am beginning to suspect I misunderstood this power during the game.
Good question. With the wording being for figures that would be taking a disengagement attack, I think abilities like teleports, carry, retreat and therefore disengage would still work since they ignore disengagement attacks.

I like seeing a synergy for terrifying figures introduced, but am a bit questioned of whether the subtracted defense and engagement lock is too much together.
Old July 31st, 2021, 12:20 AM

Blue Trails rolls all skulls baby! Blue Trails rolls all skulls baby! Blue Trails rolls all skulls baby! Blue Trails rolls all skulls baby! Blue Trails rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchismaticSounds View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Trails View Post
Good question. With the wording being for figures that would be taking a disengagement attack, I think abilities like teleports, carry, retreat and therefore disengage would still work since they ignore disengagement attacks.

I like seeing a synergy for terrifying figures introduced, but am a bit questioned of whether the subtracted defense and engagement lock is too much together.
Yeah; that makes sense. My table ruled that the power worked more like Cyberclaw and blocked figures from leaving engagement under any circumstance, and the result influenced the game to such a degree that I doubt much useful information could be gleaned from a report. I might see if I can throw together a proper playtest over the weekend to experience the unit as intended.

For what it's worth, I'm not worried about with Terror Enhancement Field's power level as written. Consensus among other playtesters seems to be that the defense drop is appropriately powered and the movement-restricting effect has negligible impact outside of certain matchups, while the most reliable method I've found for simultaneously capitalizing on both parts of the power involves scaring people with the Shades of Bleakwoode. That's fun, but it's also expensive and tricky to play competitively.
Old August 2nd, 2021, 11:59 PM

PLAYTEST REPORT

540 points
Map:
ZEPHYR
Glyphs: Wannok

Army A (eastern start zone): Ataraxis, Specters of Aldorn x2, Shades of Bleakwoode x2
Army B (western start zone): Wildwood Monarch, Wildwood Sentinel x2, Wildwood Runner x4, Bol, Kira Jax

Survivors:
Wildwood Monarch (2 wounds)
Wildwood Sentinel (second generation)
Wildwood Sentinel (first generation) (2 wounds)
Wildwood Runner x2 (first generation)
Bol
Kira Jax

Summary:
Spoiler Alert!

Power Usage:
NECROTIZING WORMHOLE: used once to gain height and once to escape an engagement with the Wildwood Monarch; targeted a Specter both times.

TERROR ENHANCEMENT FIELD: used on nearly every normal attack by the entire army, resulting in 1 wound on the Monarch, 3 wounds across both Sentinels, and 1 wound on a Runner. TEF-aided Soul Devour was attempted once to no success; threat of power combination diverted two Order Markers from the Wildwood Monarch to a Wildwood Sentinel.

NANOBOT VIRUS PHYLACTERY: used once to infect a Wildwood Sentinel; could not respawn before game ended.

Normal Attack: used twice; whiffed against the Monarch and a Runner.

Comments:
Spoiler Alert!
Old August 15th, 2021, 08:24 PM

Vydar_XLIII rolls all skulls baby! Vydar_XLIII rolls all skulls baby! Vydar_XLIII rolls all skulls baby! Vydar_XLIII rolls all skulls baby! Vydar_XLIII rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vydar_XLIII
Ataraxis the Starlich Summary:
Number of times Necrotizing Wormhole was used: 2 (The second was in Round 6 and wasn’t explicitly mentioned in the battle report.)
Number of times Necrotizing Wormhole wounded a figure: 0
Number of opponent’s defense rolls were affected by Terror Enhancement Field: 16
Number of opponent’s defense rolls were affected by Terror Enhancement Field and Deathly Touch simultaneously: 12
Number of disengagements denied due to Terror Enhancement field: 1
Number of times Nanobot Virus Phylactery placed Ataraxis on a Unique Hero’s Card: 2
Number of times Nanobot Virus Phylactery placed Ataraxis on the space of a destroyed figure: 2
Damage Dealt: 2 wounds on Q10, 2 wounds on Queen (round 6)

Ataraxis’ theme is on point. I love the theme of a lich’s phylactery being inside nanobots that parasitize new host bodies to resurrect her. SO COOL. I love how she is a boon to the Skeletons of Annellintia (which she practically seems custom made for), the Zombies of Morindan and the Specters of Aldorn. Getting all 3 of these undead squads in the same synergy web is really cool and I can see a draft pool being built around them.

I think I’m in the minority here, but I don’t want Terror Enhancement Field’s movement restriction removed. It came in pretty clutch forcing Q10 not to exit the Field and therefore allowed Ataraxis to get her second Res. I think the goal of the movement restriction is to keep opponent’s heroes within 5 of Ataraxis so she can Nanobot Virus them. There may be an argument to be made for the movement restriction (or the whole power) only effecting small and medium (and large?) figures. Huge figures like Tor-Kul-Na and Nilfheim shouldn’t be scared of no ghost. (See what I did there?!)

I have 2 concerns, but they are minor. First, with 4 squads of Specters in tow, the stacking defense drops got dirty. 7 attacks were made on 0 defense bees over the course of the game. That might be an interaction that some might consider un-fun to play against. The bees were so squishy anyways, it didn’t seem to matter much but if I was playing with 2 defense Knights, I might be a little more salty about it.

Second, I’ve heard it said that Agent Skahen is 130 points and 2 figures because you always take Otonashi with her as Oto gives Skahen a get-out-of-jail-free card the first time she gets cornered in the start zone. Ataraxis is 180 points and 2 figures because you always take Marcu with her. The soft synergy here is incredible. Marcu goes and grabs a glyph and is now in the middle of the battlefield ready to be a Phylactery when Ataraxis needs. Marcu can basically guarantee that Ataraxis gets a second life. On top of that, he is terrifying and so you can pull the move my GF made to win. Ataraxis makes Marcu better, and that might be something of an unintended consequence.
See battle report Here.
Old September 2nd, 2021, 11:24 AM

AndreThaGiant rolls all skulls baby! AndreThaGiant rolls all skulls baby! AndreThaGiant rolls all skulls baby! AndreThaGiant rolls all skulls baby!

This report might be kinda swiss cheese as it's my first one, but I tried to document it as best as I could.

520 points
Map:
Ticalla Sunrise
Glyphs: Wannok, Ulaniva

My Army: Ataraxis, Skeletons of Annelintia x3, Isamu, Marcu, Bol, Otonashi
@XThorSavageX Army: Kalagrith, Greenscales x3, Raelin, Ulfrid

Survivors:
Ataraxis (1 wound)
4 Skellies
Isamu

Summary:
Spoiler Alert!

Power Usage:
NECROTIZING WORMHOLE: Used thrice; once aggressively, twice defensively. Thor's feedback was that it should be instead of moving. The way that I utilized it made it quite difficult for him to get at her. Perhaps this power could be more balanced if used once per round? Twice per round with markers? Looking forward to playing more to determine.

TERROR ENHANCEMENT FIELD: The defense debuff is nice. Even nicer with the Specters, I imagine. The field is specifically nice on Ataraxis. With her personality being changed to terrifying, you can feel confident putting OM's on her since her attack is more productive. The movement restriction seems very difficult to counterplay. I'll touch on that more in the comments.

NANOBOT VIRUS PHYLACTERY: Used once on Otonashi, with Marcu & Isamu on standby, in range, in spawn. This proved extremely effective on cheap heroes. I can't imagine the OM stress on the more expensive/harder to kill heroes. It worked better this way anyway, as I didn't have much points leftover after Ataraxis & x3 skellies.

Normal Attack: Used thrice with great success.

Comments:
Entertaining Mechanics and challenging decision-making gave me a great first impression of Ataraxis. She gives the undead some love with a little power swing, while having an escape mechanism to stay out of danger. Not to mention her Nanobot, which brings me satisfaction (and my enemies brain pain). I have to echo @kevindola concerns about the lack of size restriction of the lockdown on her terror field. Small & Medium make way more sense to me than Large & Huge. I'm sympathetic for Thor's Kalagrith, who should/could have scorched my army. A mere 2 SA's before she was incapacitated.

Anyway, I have a good feeling the lady from space will be my favorite design out of the starfinder packs, and I'm looking forward to playing her more!

Thanks and keep doing what you're doing C3V!

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Last edited by AndreThaGiant; September 7th, 2021 at 12:56 PM.
Old September 6th, 2021, 04:38 PM

SchismaticSounds rolls all skulls baby! SchismaticSounds rolls all skulls baby! SchismaticSounds rolls all skulls baby! SchismaticSounds rolls all skulls baby!

Ataraxis... what a guy.. er gal.. Lady.

Playtest Results: @kevindola
Spoiler Alert!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs > C3V Public Playtesting