Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > Official Rules and FAQs
Official Rules and FAQs Compilation and discussion of AotP Rules and Frequently Asked Questions.

Old August 7th, 2016, 01:32 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!
Re: AotP Question Dump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajoq View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo View Post
I know that I am a bit behind everyone but I just played my first game using the Zendikar expansion and 600 point armies. I was confused on how to determine what cards, and how many to include. Is it always just any 12 cards? Or do we actually count the point cost up to 200? I couldn’t find anything official in the rule books that would make this clear. We ended up just picking 12 random cards. What is the correct way to build you deck?
12 cards equaling at most 200 points.

It's a bit of a hassle for quick pick up games unless you use the pre-fab decks. There's an excel deckbuilder now that's very helpful for speeding it up though
Yeah that 200 point thing is a pain. Well at least I know now. Thank you.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old August 7th, 2016, 01:40 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

@keglo , Innistrad brings it back down to 500pt armies if I'm not mistaken. Still 200pt up to 12 card decks though.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old August 7th, 2016, 01:52 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
@keglo , Innistrad brings it back down to 500pt armies if I'm not mistaken. Still 200pt up to 12 card decks though.
Really? Why would they keep changing it like that? Was the 600 points meant for the Zendikar scenario only? I only played the one 600 point game but I liked it.

@Kajoq thank you for letting me know about the spreadsheet. It will indeed make it easier.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old August 7th, 2016, 02:48 PM

Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby!

Innistrad just lists 500 points because that's all the box includes.

Zendikar lists 600 because you really need that to fit the Zendikar squads in.

It's really up to the community to decide what 'standard' should be (imo, 600 army 200 deck is where I feel it should be right now)

I think an argument could be made for increasing deck size, while keeping the allocation per card about the same (200/12 ~ 16.66 a card) So maybe 18 cards 300 points? Especially once we get another 1-2 sets worth of cards to work with

Right now you can pretty much guarantee the same sequences of buffs/enchants/counters in every game. It'd be nice to have the deck be a little more decision based.
Old August 7th, 2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajoq View Post
Innistrad just lists 500 points because that's all the box includes.

Zendikar lists 600 because you really need that to fit the Zendikar squads in.

It's really up to the community to decide what 'standard' should be (imo, 600 army 200 deck is where I feel it should be right now)

I think an argument could be made for increasing deck size, while keeping the allocation per card about the same (200/12 ~ 16.66 a card) So maybe 18 cards 300 points? Especially once we get another 1-2 sets worth of cards to work with

Right now you can pretty much guarantee the same sequences of buffs/enchants/counters in every game. It'd be nice to have the deck be a little more decision based.
That makes sense. Now I can still play 600 point armies while feeling all warm and fuzzy because I’m not breaking any official rules. And yes it would be nice if decks where decision based.

Old August 7th, 2016, 05:12 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

@keglo , why not try them out using 300 point decks. As long as both parties have the same point value worth of cards and figures, who's to stop you from having as much fun as you possibly can. That might be pretty fun to have that much magic in the deck. I have been toying with the idea of using multiple planeswalkers for big games with a mixed double deck.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old August 7th, 2016, 07:50 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I'm hoping we see 600 points (or even 650) for armies in tournament formats. I think 12 cards at 20 points is interesting enough for now.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old August 7th, 2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
@keglo , why not try them out using 300 point decks. As long as both parties have the same point value worth of cards and figures, who's to stop you from having as much fun as you possibly can. That might be pretty fun to have that much magic in the deck. I have been toying with the idea of using multiple planeswalkers for big games with a mixed double deck.
And break the official rules?!?

I might just try that.

Old August 7th, 2016, 10:00 PM

Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby!

We tried using 18 and 24 card decks in 100 point intervals. (400 and 500 points respectively)

It doesn't really change the dynamic, it just lengthens the game. 24 cards was just way too much (we did this with multiple copies if the base set last year). 18 was a lot better.

But then again, we didn't use the '1x of each named card rule', and did some intensive deck building using three sets. I'm glad that the deck building rules are 1x, since colors like Blue Red and Black dominated with Green and White being so far behind.

I haven't tried the build a deck beyond 12 cards since we got official word about 1x.
Old August 8th, 2016, 12:32 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo View Post
Quote:
And break the official rules?!?

I might just try that.
There are no "official rules" as far as point values go. So far AotP has been heavily scenario-based, so you just play with the scenario point values. I don't think there have been any major AotP tourneys so tournament values have yet to be decided...

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations
Old August 8th, 2016, 11:53 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

There was a Planeswalker tournament at GenCon this year, hosted by the Heroscape organizers. It was 500 points to allow people with only the original base set to participate. Hopefully future events will be at least 600 points--I don't think 500 points leaves enough room for dynamic armies.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old November 14th, 2016, 05:02 PM

Rathburn is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

This question came up in my game. Is there a range limit for spell cards. I am aware of the range that is specific to some spells. But what about the cards that don't have any specific range?

Last edited by Rathburn; November 14th, 2016 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Missed a word

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > Official Rules and FAQs