Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs
HoME Customs A place for Heroes of Middle Earth Customs

Old December 12th, 2021, 10:16 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Legolas - Rough Draft

LEGOLAS BATTLE REPORT
Spoiler Alert!

OVERALL THOUGHTS
Legolas was about as swingy as I expected, doing meh and then meh and then killing an entire army by himself on the third game. His biggest weaknesses right now are his high cost combined with the fact that he only gets two attacks for 3, which many squads can exceed in number and many heroes can exceed in dice. That being said his high move and high range make him a deadly kiter, and his Defensive Agility means that killing him takes a long long time (although he was never tested here against strong ranged opponents like Stingers, Krav, or Kaemon).

Defensive Agility: it did not save him against the normal-melee-only army in the first game, as his attacks failed to stop the knights from eventually encircling and killing him. The same occurred on the second game where the sheer number of Ashigaru attacks gradually wore him down. It did prove extremely effective against Alistair and Eltahale, where one measly shield could block hits of 4 or 5. And while that's not too bad for the WoA since only one hit needs to get through, with Legolas you need to pierce his defense and deal lots of wounds when you do in order to kill him. It was absolutely brutal on those two.

One of the main reasons why the Warriors of Ashra, despite the power of Defensive Agility, aren't considered all that great is their Move of 5. Emirroon helps with this some, but overall they are too slow to make the most of their agility. Legolas meanwhile has 6 Move and thus can boost his Defense to 4 with Height Advantage very easily. That and his Range makes him much more defensively viable than the WoA. I would even go so far as to make the ludicrous statement that Lego's high Move and Range benefit Defensive Agility more than the fact that he has more than 1 Life.

Legolas was not an insta-win against normal adjacent only armies, nor is he that great an offensive force early or mid game. He is however a devastating kiter and pretty damn good at cleanup when the enemy is spread out or not at full strength to launch an organized counterattack. Even when they do catch up his Defensive Agility means that taking him down is a slog. I would likely reduce his Defense to 2 like Syvarris in order to make Defensive Agility less likely (it'll still be 3 most of the time when he inevitably has height advantage). Alternatively he could have a weaker version of this power such as One-Shield Defense (with a different name obviously) that ensures at least one wound from enemy attacks. Or Legolas' Legolasisms could merely be represented by 4 Defense.

"Syvarris but better" is dangerous territory to begin with, and while Legolas wasn't as consistently crazy as Gimli he could use some nerfing. 5 Move on him would be silly, but something that makes taking him down less of a pain would do nicely. Perhaps he could have a defensive power limited to Squads like Asterios does.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old December 17th, 2021, 04:24 PM

Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Awesome playtests! What I find interesting is that Lego won singlehandedly when the rest of the army provided mere screening - it seems like in the Zombie game, Legolas basically just took all the OMs himself.

Combine agility with Raelin and/or Rats and I think he'd be pretty unstoppable. I like the idea of changing it to a "One Shield Defense" rather than Defensive Agility. I also think his life could be lowered to 4 - seems like an Elven thing (cf. Syvarris). Tough to kill but not too hearty once you land a hit.

I benefitted a lot from reading through these playtest reports though
Old December 17th, 2021, 08:22 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox
Awesome playtests! What I find interesting is that Lego won singlehandedly when the rest of the army provided mere screening - it seems like in the Zombie game, Legolas basically just took all the OMs himself.
I wanted to open with the Zombies to do some damage but Othkurik and his Greenscales basically obliterated them (Bonding's always made it difficult for the ZoM to really make Horde Movement that advantageous). One zombie did stand on Ulvania though so that was a big impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox
I also think his life could be lowered to 4 - seems like an Elven thing (cf. Syvarris). Tough to kill but not too hearty once you land a hit.
There is also Elven precedent for 6 Life with 2 Defense which could also work.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs