Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Notices

Old May 14th, 2021, 01:14 PM

Sarhek is surprisingly tart
Heroscape Balance Changes/Patch Notes

Hello everyone,

I'm brand new to the forums, so I'm sorry If this has been posted somewhere else. I tried searching, but there's just so much out there. If it is somewhere else, I'd appreciate being shown where so I can peruse it. The topic I wanted to discuss today is daunting, overwhelming, and impossible to nail down 100%. I'm just a tinkerer who loves numbers.

With all that out of the way, has anyone ever attempted to make unofficial patch notes or balance changes to Heroscape? I'm thinking something that's along the line of League of Legends, or WH40K. The whole point of these changes are an attempt to create a balanced game where theoretically everything is viable. The good thing about doing this for HS is that all of the official units are released. That means unlike the other games, no new official units will come in and throw a wrench into things.

Now I understand that for this to be feasible, a lot of parameters need to be set. Two big ones that immediately come to mind are army point limits, and figure/hex limits.

Once all the parameters are defined, I can see a number of different ways to go about making these balance changes. These could be anything from changing unit point values, changing unit stats, or adjusting abilities.

Ideally, these changes would strike a balance themselves. On the one hand, they need to be big enough to have an impact on the viability of a unit. On the other, they can't be so drastic that they change the way the units were meant to be played.

Like I stated earlier, this would be an enormous undertaking. Some units are much farther from being balanced/viable than others (Looking at you Hatamato). This would require thousands of hours of theorizing, playtesting, and tweaking.

This was just something I was thinking about the other day. I thought it might bring some units who never see the light of day out more. It would also create a lot more diversity to an already rather diverse game. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

Yours truly,

Sarhek
Old May 14th, 2021, 01:25 PM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth
Re: Heroscape Balance Changes/Patch Notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarhek View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm brand new to the forums, so I'm sorry If this has been posted somewhere else. I tried searching, but there's just so much out there. If it is somewhere else, I'd appreciate being shown where so I can peruse it. The topic I wanted to discuss today is daunting, overwhelming, and impossible to nail down 100%. I'm just a tinkerer who loves numbers.

With all that out of the way, has anyone ever attempted to make unofficial patch notes or balance changes to Heroscape? I'm thinking something that's along the line of League of Legends, or WH40K. The whole point of these changes are an attempt to create a balanced game where theoretically everything is viable. The good thing about doing this for HS is that all of the official units are released. That means unlike the other games, no new official units will come in and throw a wrench into things.

Now I understand that for this to be feasible, a lot of parameters need to be set. Two big ones that immediately come to mind are army point limits, and figure/hex limits.

Once all the parameters are defined, I can see a number of different ways to go about making these balance changes. These could be anything from changing unit point values, changing unit stats, or adjusting abilities.

Ideally, these changes would strike a balance themselves. On the one hand, they need to be big enough to have an impact on the viability of a unit. On the other, they can't be so drastic that they change the way the units were meant to be played.

Like I stated earlier, this would be an enormous undertaking. Some units are much farther from being balanced/viable than others (Looking at you Hatamato). This would require thousands of hours of theorizing, playtesting, and tweaking.

This was just something I was thinking about the other day. I thought it might bring some units who never see the light of day out more. It would also create a lot more diversity to an already rather diverse game. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

Yours truly,

Sarhek
Here's a group that did some work along these lines.

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old May 14th, 2021, 01:32 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Welcome to the forums!

The Competitive Unit Congress (or CUC) should match what you're looking for quite nicely. It was a forum project dedicated to adjusting figures to better fit the 400-600 point tournament style of playing the game. Most of the changes were dedicated to improving the noncompetitive figures rather than nerfing the top-tiers, and they were generally small in scope and restrained to try and retain the core design of each unit.

Since I've been in the DFW area, we've had two tournaments that allowed CUC units along with C3V/SoV custom units. Each time I thought that the added variety was really nice, and no combos stood out to me as being especially broken (I'm also a big fan of the Rats nerf, given how frustrating that card can be). I haven't played with any CUC units without VC other than Hatamoto Taro, but the changes were all made without customs in mind so you should be fine to just use the CUC changes if you wanted to.
Old May 14th, 2021, 01:33 PM

Thanks Mac. I hadn't come across that yet.
Old May 14th, 2021, 01:34 PM

Thanks Astro. I'll make sure to give that a look.
Old May 14th, 2021, 02:20 PM

Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Also, there are the Delta stuff that balances all of the figures, both classic and CV. There is an online tournament going on now using this point system.

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ighlight=delta

What GenCon taught me was to assume only one skull on three dice!
Old May 14th, 2021, 04:40 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

You're not the only one to think of these. Here are the bigger ones I know of that have done "Balance Changes/Patch"

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions