Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Notices

Old October 2nd, 2011, 05:23 PM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Legends of Scape (RPG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
For most enemies, I use the points on the army card for experience. But I intend to make special characters (such as the Marro wizard, bugbears with 2 or 3 lives, or very strong dragons with spellcasting abilities) that don't follow their army cards. When I do, I'll have to come up with an experience number for them.

I'd love to add other people's enemies to an "Enemy Figures" supplemental rulebook, so let me know if you come up with some Legends of Scape unique enemies.
Awesome, 3 Spell Points it is! I may just save my 73 Gold for later.

I'm actually in the process of making a bunch of custom Heroscape units. I'll post them if/when I finish them.

And I'll probably be playing Legends of Scape on a table without a defined board. I like open-world games. I already have an idea for a scenario, too...

Also, if you've not come up with this, I thought of a way to "randomly" obtain gold.
Spoiler Alert!

I think it's a pretty fair mechanic. Use it if you want.

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old October 2nd, 2011, 05:41 PM

Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby!

A little more complicated, but here's a method that allows for differences in power.

Spoiler Alert!

Of course, that's a little too complicated. Maybe use S94's method, but have different tiers of point values for different multipliers?
Old October 2nd, 2011, 09:32 PM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Well, I looked at the available weapons I could buy, and, since my dude had 73 gold still, I bought a Two-Handed Sword. His attack is now 3 instead of 1, which should help since I plan to test this game out with only him in the first scenario I'm doing.

Also, is there a way to sell/re-sell items that you have? I think that could be helpful. Maybe at about half or two-thirds of MSRP?

My character now has a name! Noldor Delilith.

Old October 3rd, 2011, 08:49 AM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaemon Awa 123 View Post
A little more complicated, but here's a method that allows for differences in power.

Spoiler Alert!

Of course, that's a little too complicated. Maybe use S94's method, but have different tiers of point values for different multipliers?
Thanks for the ideas. I eventually plan to create a treasure and magic item list, and I'll keep both of those ideas in mind. In the meantime, it's really up to the Game Master as to how much treasure to give out. The more treasure and magic you give out, the faster the characters will grow stronger (more spells, better armor, etc..)

Dungeons and Dragons has a more complicated method of determining treasure--where each type of monster has a certain treasure "type" (such as type A, type B, and so on...) Some monsters, like wolves, won't have much treasure at all (no pockets). Others, like drow, will probably be using any powerful magic they find. It also makes a difference whether the monsters are out hunting or at home in their lair. If I did something like that, I'd want to have a look-up table.

With all the possibilities, I decided in the beginning to leave it up the Game Master rather than overwhelm the rules with too much information. If anyone tries a method (such as 'Scaper94's d20 method or Kaemon Awa's points method), let me know how well it worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Scaper94 View Post
Well, I looked at the available weapons I could buy, and, since my dude had 73 gold still, I bought a Two-Handed Sword. His attack is now 3 instead of 1, which should help since I plan to test this game out with only him in the first scenario I'm doing.

Also, is there a way to sell/re-sell items that you have? I think that could be helpful. Maybe at about half or two-thirds of MSRP?

My character now has a name! Noldor Delilith.
If the weapon or item line has been discontinued, your character might even be able to get double or triple its MSRP on dragon-bay!

But seriously, I think either half-price or two-thirds will work well. Let's try 2/3 full price for selling a normal item and see how well it works. You might also want to increase prices at remote towns and villages, and restrict the availability, but that's a Game Master decision.

By the way, with 1 life and 4 defense, Nolder might want to consider bringing a friend along (such as the dwarf hero shown as a sample character in the first post). If he goes alone, you'll want to be really careful with how you use him. Unless, of course, your first battle is against vipers. Those magic missiles will really tear through 0 defense figures. Just hope that they don't Frenzy!
Old October 3rd, 2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the ideas. I eventually plan to create a treasure and magic item list, and I'll keep both of those ideas in mind. In the meantime, it's really up to the Game Master as to how much treasure to give out. The more treasure and magic you give out, the faster the characters will grow stronger (more spells, better armor, etc..)

Dungeons and Dragons has a more complicated method of determining treasure--where each type of monster has a certain treasure "type" (such as type A, type B, and so on...) Some monsters, like wolves, won't have much treasure at all (no pockets). Others, like drow, will probably be using any powerful magic they find. It also makes a difference whether the monsters are out hunting or at home in their lair. If I did something like that, I'd want to have a look-up table.

<snip>

But seriously, I think either half-price or two-thirds will work well. Let's try 2/3 full price for selling a normal item and see how well it works. You might also want to increase prices at remote towns and villages, and restrict the availability, but that's a Game Master decision.

By the way, with 1 life and 4 defense, Nolder might want to consider bringing a friend along (such as the dwarf hero shown as a sample character in the first post). If he goes alone, you'll want to be really careful with how you use him. Unless, of course, your first battle is against vipers. Those magic missiles will really tear through 0 defense figures. Just hope that they don't Frenzy!
I may make some of my own custom items/treasures, and I may make a d20 table for what is salvaged. We'll see.

Yeah, I think it should range from (1/2)-(2/3) price. It seems fair, since most video game RPGs do similar stuff.

My first scenario will be using some custom units I'm making. Most will be 1 life, 2 attack, 2 defense. They shouldn't be too much of an issue. I've thought of making another character though, but I don't want to just yet. I think I'll wait a few scenarios before I add another character.

Another question - do figures get to use bonding abilities if they are able to?

Old October 3rd, 2011, 10:03 PM

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Quote:
I knew someone was going to eventually ask that--I've been meaning to add that to the rulebook.

The answer is No. Since all figures move and attack every turn (according to their initiative roles), Bonding is ignored. (So that figures don't move and attack twice a turn).

I know that it messes up the army card price of units with bonding, but it makes the fighting more realistic. The first time 9 Marrden Nagrubs all moved towards my sons' figures at the same time really made them nervous (they must have missed that in the rulebook).
Old October 3rd, 2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I knew someone was going to eventually ask that--I've been meaning to add that to the rulebook.

The answer is No. Since all figures move and attack every turn (according to their initiative roles), Bonding is ignored. (So that figures don't move and attack twice a turn).

I know that it messes up the army card price of units with bonding, but it makes the fighting more realistic. The first time 9 Marrden Nagrubs all moved towards my sons' figures at the same time really made them nervous (they must have missed that in the rulebook).
Ok, cool. By the way, I'm not playing with OMs or a hex battlefield. I find it more fun to just play on a tabletop and use rulers to measure figures. And then I have each full turn (each player/team takes a turn) equal to 1 minute.

As for my scenario - I tried it tonight. The first three attempts, my lone character was killed quick. I made a second character (below), and I still didn't beat the scenario for about 7 more tries. Darn those Level 1 characters. Oh, I'm also playing where only the surviving characters get experience. Same with gold.

Spoiler Alert!

Old October 4th, 2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Ok, cool. By the way, I'm not playing with OMs or a hex battlefield. I find it more fun to just play on a tabletop and use rulers to measure figures. And then I have each full turn (each player/team takes a turn) equal to 1 minute.
Do you measure height with a ruler also? Do you have 3-D terrain? How much does the measuring slow stuff down?

Quote:
As for my scenario - I tried it tonight. The first three attempts, my lone character was killed quick. I made a second character (below), and I still didn't beat the scenario for about 7 more tries. Darn those Level 1 characters. Oh, I'm also playing where only the surviving characters get experience. Same with gold.

Spoiler Alert!
Elves and Halflings are hard at first level with only 1 life. My son's elven ranger had height advantage within a Protection Aura (for a Defense of 6) and was still taken out by a Marro Drudge (2 Attack). My first level dwarf (Grim) has 3 Life, 3 Defense, 4 Attack, and Spiral Slash. We send him out front to tie up the enemy units and have the wizards (and the ranger) attack from behind the screen.

By the way, for our home games we made a rule that any figure that is destroyed is critically wounded and will die if they don't receive a healing spell/potion during the battle or at the end of the battle. Any such healed critically wounded figure cannot return until the battle is over (as they are too weak to fight).
Old October 4th, 2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Do you measure height with a ruler also? Do you have 3-D terrain? How much does the measuring slow stuff down?

<snip>

Elves and Halflings are hard at first level with only 1 life. My son's elven ranger had height advantage within a Protection Aura (for a Defense of 6) and was still taken out by a Marro Drudge (2 Attack). My first level dwarf (Grim) has 3 Life, 3 Defense, 4 Attack, and Spiral Slash. We send him out front to tie up the enemy units and have the wizards (and the ranger) attack from behind the screen.

By the way, for our home games we made a rule that any figure that is destroyed is critically wounded and will die if they don't receive a healing spell/potion during the battle or at the end of the battle. Any such healed critically wounded figure cannot return until the battle is over (as they are too weak to fight).
Measuring doesn't take too long, sine I measure stuff a lot and generally don't place them exactly where they should be. And yes, I do have 3D terrain (though not much). It's easy to make, if you're willing.

I'll probably start my second scenario tonight.

EDIT: I finished scenarios 2 and 3 tonight, and was able to get Noldor up to Level 2! My Elf guy is still at Level 1 though, but he's getting close to Level 2. I'm also making a map (of the realm my story takes place in) as I play through. If/when I get the map close to being finished, I'll post it.

Double Edit: Since Noldor leveled up, I gave him Flame Arrows, which I'm enjoying very much.

Last edited by 'Scaper94; October 4th, 2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old October 6th, 2011, 09:22 PM

Alright, I've played a total of 4 scenarios so far, and I'm liking Legends of Scape so far. I was finally able to get my Elf to Level 2 today! I *would* give him some more power-ups, but he's basically poor right now. I just made a "Loot Table" for when you destroy an enemy, based on the d20 of course. You can choose not to take any loot after destroying an enemy, but I probably will most of the time.

I plan on adding another character to my party in the next few scenarios I do.

Old October 7th, 2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Alright, I've played a total of 4 scenarios so far, and I'm liking Legends of Scape so far. I was finally able to get my Elf to Level 2 today! I *would* give him some more power-ups, but he's basically poor right now. I just made a "Loot Table" for when you destroy an enemy, based on the d20 of course. You can choose not to take any loot after destroying an enemy, but I probably will most of the time.

I plan on adding another character to my party in the next few scenarios I do.
Excellent! Do you think you can post the scenarios you made? (At least a general idea of the figures they battled.) I'd love to hear about your games.

Science Fair projects and other distractions have kept us from completing our first scenario (along with my son's insistance that they report back to the Duke rather than continue on into the swamp). I hope to have the outline of our first scenario (LS1: Eastern Outpost) posted this weekend.
Old October 7th, 2011, 02:32 PM

LS-1: EASTERN OUTPOST
For 4-8 Characters, Level 1

Introduction
This is a Legends of Scape adventure module for 4 to 8 Level 1 characters. It is an introductory module for players just learning to play Legends of Scape.

Background for the Players (Common Knowledge)
The player’s figures live in the Fiefdom of Bucknell, a small fiefdom on the eastern edge of the Kingdom of Wyndelheim. Once the Kingdom of Wyndelheim was part of the sprawling Shoon Empire to the west, but the Shoon Empire fell almost 100 years ago and its various kingdoms separated or were overrun by dragons or invaders or other monsters.

Wyndelheim’s armies are weak, mostly due to fighting along the western border where Wyndelheim borders the Shoon Empire. A great wall was built to help protect against Shoon bandit and monster invasions, but even that wall does not provide the protection Wydelheim needs.

The Fiefdom of Bucknell is far to the east. Bucknell Castle itself is still secure, as is much of the Fiefdom, but its armies grow weak from constant battles with orcs, goblins, and other creatures. There are at least two dragons that live in the southern hills.

The elves of Turwug Forest are on friendly terms with the Duke of Bucknell, but they are a small group who mostly keep to themselves and defend the forest.

There are dwarves and other races in Bucknell—mostly serving as merchants and smiths in the larger towns.

Fiefdom of Bucknell

Kingdom of Wyndelheim

Starting the Scenario
The players’ characters live in the town surrounding Castle Bucknell. The Duke’s soldiers come to each of them and inform them that the Duke requests their presence. As they arrive, they realize that they have all be summoned to the Duke.

Duke Klayborn
Thank you all for coming today. I apologize for taking you from your daily activities, but your kingdom needs you. For over two months, we have not heard news from our eastern outpost. The outpost lies close to the Rymwaddle River, between the town of Rymdale and the Bardill Marshes. Our soldiers are spread thin already—I cannot spare even a small troop to check on the outpost.

I’m requesting you to travel together to the eastern outpost and bring back news. I pray that all is well, and that our couriers have only been temporarily waylaid. But if there is trouble at the outpost, I need you to let me know right away.

I will tell you that you should go well-armed. There have been reports of goblins and other creatures in the forest between here and the outpost. To help aid your quest, I am giving each of you 100 gold pieces to buy weapons and equipment. I will also provide you with tents you will need during travel.

Go with your Duke’s blessing.

Travelling
Figures can travel one hex (24 miles) a day through the forest paths or over farmland (on foot). The characters have no horses. The tents are 2-person tents.

As they near the outpost, they will face one encounter a day (with time to rest and regain spell points in between encounters).

Weather
It is late summer in Bucknell. The weather is starting to cool as Autumn approaches. Leaves are changing colors. The weather is dry but slightly overcast for the duration of the travel.

Encounter 1
3 squads of Marrden Nagrubs (90 points)
Spoiler Alert!

Encounter 2
3 squads of Goblin Cutters (150 points)
Spoiler Alert!

Encounter 3
2 Feral Trolls (180 points)
Spoiler Alert!

Encounter 4: The Eastern Outpost
4 squads of Marrden Nagrubs (90 points)
2 squads of Marro Drudge (100 points)
Ki-Nok-Sa (see below)
Spoiler Alert!

Ki-Nok-Sa

Markers

Treasure
Spoiler Alert!

After the Battle
Spoiler Alert!

NOTE: I'll have some pictures of the actual battlefields and figures up soon.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions