Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old November 16th, 2014, 09:48 AM

mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Uncommon Squads?

Common squads are priced higher than unique squads, right, because they are common? I thought the same would apply to uncommon heroes, but @Grungebob knows more than I would.

If you're not rolling for Stinger Drain, you're not living.
Old November 16th, 2014, 05:50 PM

nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness

The difference in common and uncommon would be that a common army card can activate any of the same common. Uncommons are tied to the figure that match their card.

WORST. PALADIN. EVER.

Overall Tourney Record: ....I don't even remember anymore!
Old November 16th, 2014, 05:53 PM

mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate the dawg View Post
The difference in common and uncommon would be that a common army card can activate any of the same common. Uncommons are tied to the figure that match their card.
That's true, but I also thought that some of the cost came from the ability to have multiples of a given hero/squad.

If you're not rolling for Stinger Drain, you're not living.
Old November 16th, 2014, 07:41 PM

Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby!

Here's an example of a power an uncommon squad could use:
For Vampire squad (What Cyprien commanded)

Bloodthirst: Whenever a (Insert name here) destroys a figure, you may put a bloodthirst marker on this army card. There can be a maximum if 3 bloodthirst markers on this army card. When a (Insert name here) attacks, it may attack one additional time for every bloodthirst marker on it. It may attack the same figure or a different figure.

Oops, rolled a 1.
Old December 16th, 2014, 02:27 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

There is definitely some design space for Uncommon Squads that you couldn't quite do with common or unique squads, but I wouldn't say there is all that much of it. As with uncommon heroes, it does not add all that much difference over just having a unique version in the first place. It is something that you could do, I just don't know if it is necessarily worth it.
Old December 16th, 2014, 03:01 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1998 View Post
I don't mind that there are uncommon heroes. Maybe a way to house rule it would be to make them unique, but lower the cost since you couldn't have multiples. Just thinking, here.
I believe @Grungebob stated once that uncommon heroes were not priced any differently than unique heroes.
We never really saw the design aspect of uncommons bloom. For example all the uncommon heroes we have could have easily been unique with no loss of synergy. Where things could have gone is bonding like the wyrmlings or other boost powers. @Scytale designed a really cool mushroom hero that allowed for one uncommon hero to heal others of the same type.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old December 16th, 2014, 10:14 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Yeah, I think the closest we could ever get to an Uncommon Squad would just be a sort of Squad-Sized bonding. Sort of like: "When you reveal an Order Marker on this Chainsaw Bunny, after taking this figure's turn, you may take a turn with up to two other Chainsaw Bunnies you control".

Then make 'em 40 points so it's around a 120 point "Squad" at maximum potential.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old December 17th, 2014, 10:24 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

I'm not sold on this idea of uncommon squads for the sole reason that you would have to have a way to distinguish multiple squads of them, and have multiple cards for them. I like my uncommon heroes just fine, but I have little markers on their bases, and cards, or I paint them different. I just don't know what purpose you are really going for on this. If they are something, make em unique. If not, why not common. I see the point of Uncommon heroes, so you can have multiple more than one life heroes of the same unit. Uncommon squads, eh. Common heroes are also a very fun way to make squads that are not squads. Heroes bonding like a squad.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old December 18th, 2014, 11:53 AM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Uncommon Squads would be pretty pointless, just make them unique.

Kinda like how you're better off not drafting multiple of Uncommon Heroes (with a possible exception for WL and OP), you'd probably only take one of the Uncommon Squads anyways. At least in a competitive setting.
Old December 18th, 2014, 07:50 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
Uncommon Squads would be pretty pointless, just make them unique.

Kinda like how you're better off not drafting multiple of Uncommon Heroes (with a possible exception for WL and OP), you'd probably only take one of the Uncommon Squads anyways. At least in a competitive setting.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old January 25th, 2015, 07:00 AM

Capslock2Q is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

If I would make unique squads like the Krav Magas uncommon as a houserule, would that hurt the balancing?
Old January 25th, 2015, 10:59 AM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

You might try starting with some of the weaker unique squads like the Tarns or Zettians and seeing how that affects their play before jumping to the big boys like the Krav.

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion