Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old February 13th, 2013, 08:12 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post
Played Descent 2.0 over lunch yesterday, and I won as Overlord.

Played Island Siege today. It is a cool little card game on Kickstarter. We played a proto print and play version. Offers some nice choices for a 30 minute card game.
Descent over lunch?! 2.0 plays that fast?! I will be strong!

We haven't had much gaming, but I did lose a squeaker in Ascension, 75-74.

Looking forward to the new Mage Wars mages.
It plays especially fast when you cheat. We messed up some of the rules and it was just the first scenario, so I expected it to be fast. I have commandeered an office across the hall from mine to play games that might take longer than an hour, so we just leave them set up. We need to decide what we are going to play after the tournament on the 23rd. It could be Descent.

Played Island Siege again with my son, twice. We both like this game, it is tricky. He snuck up and won the second game out of nowhere. I was one turn away from winning and then . Check out the Kickstarter link and print out the cards to try it out.
Old February 13th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Descent, Smash Up x2, and Survive last night!

First time out with Smash Up. I ran Zombie Leprechauns, and didn't know what the heck I was doing. I lost 8-11-15. Then I ran Robot Aliens and won 15-13-11.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old February 14th, 2013, 08:29 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Just got my copy of Commands & Colors Napoleonics: The Russian Army Expansion tonight! This is a big deal, as the GMT site was assaulted and messed up for a few days. But they had already printed out their mailing lists and labels, and the game got through. Congratulations to GMT for nice work. Now I've got 20 new scenarios to play with a brand new green block army.

Another reason its a big deal is that some don't care for the Spanish/Peninsula War--although I have enjoyed the basic game and Spanish Expansion set there so far--and this is the first of the large coalition "mainland Europe" sets. This period was designed and playtested by Richard Borg years ago, even though its just started being published in the last two years. In an unprecedented game publishing event, the Austrians are due out in July and the Prussians toward the end of 2013, for a Triple Crown of publishing three expansions for a a single game system all in the same calendar year! And we're also looking forward to the 'Grand Bataille' larger double board format in the future, with some of the larger multi-Allied historical battles as well like Austerlitz and Leipzig.

Yet another reason its a big deal for me is that I'm just now finishing up my 54mm painted figure Napoleonic armies, so I can mini out the scenarios contained herein.

Still another reason its a big deal is that years ago I spent a weekend JodieCon Convention (after several months of online planning with about 25 players on the Russian side) playing General Prince Mikhail Larionovich Kutusov (I even grew huge sideburns for the event), the Russian commander at Borodino, at what was in some ways the highlight of my wargaming career! As the grand old man, I had to use binoculars from the rear command table to see the 25mm battlefields spread out in the ballroom before us, and send and receive messages about the conduct of the battle! So now I'll soon be back in Napoleonic Russia (there are 4 Borodino scenarios alone). Hooray!

Last edited by chas; February 14th, 2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old February 14th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Descent, Smash Up x2, and Survive last night!

First time out with Smash Up. I ran Zombie Leprechauns, and didn't know what the heck I was doing. I lost 8-11-15. Then I ran Robot Aliens and won 15-13-11.

Good to see you get some Smash Up played. Fun stuff! Too bad you dominate Survive so much that your buddies don't want to play anymore.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old February 14th, 2013, 10:01 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

With as many games as I have, I shouldn't be playing anything more than two weeks in a row anyway. Smash Up is coming back next week, though!

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old February 16th, 2013, 10:12 AM

Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker

What would be the best Star Wars Miniatures Expansion to get with the base set if you were just getting one or two to see what the game is like?
Old February 16th, 2013, 11:18 AM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Unfortunately because Star Wars Miniatures is random you won't know what you'll get. Which base set is it that you are getting or have gotten? I personally, liked the Jedi Academy but that might be because it has ones from each era and has lots of force users.

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
my tradelist
Old February 16th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

I just usually pick up a few of the commons on CSI here and there to push me over the $100 mark.

Does anybody have any advice on beating Yggdrasil. We have like a less than 20% win record overall I think. I just can't quite figure out what we're doing wrong. Usually I'm like man I think we're in good shape and then BOOM we lose.

Maybe we just suck, but we beat Death Angel pretty consistently and that's supposed to be a pretty tough co-op game.

Also hoping for the BGG store to restock the expansion for it soon.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old February 16th, 2013, 12:12 PM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Lawnmower View Post
What would be the best Star Wars Miniatures Expansion to get with the base set if you were just getting one or two to see what the game is like?
Not trying to muddy the warriors, but were you meaning X-Wing miniatures, instead? That isn't a blind purchase, and the base set comes with 2 TIE Fighters and one X-Wing. If that's the one you're talking about, I'd recommend at least one X-Wing expansion (comes with Wedge as a pilot) and either a couple more TIE's or a TIE Advance (comes with Vader as a pilot). The game really seems to shine with more ships, but that would give you a decent chance to build some squads. Also, some time in the not-too distant future, the Falcon and Slave 1 are coming.

But if you meant Star Wars minis, then disregard the above, and pick some cheap commons through CSI or Miniature Market. You can also find some relatively cheap lots on Ebay. We just buy to add to our factions (my son likes Clones, and I like Jedi).
Old February 16th, 2013, 03:07 PM

B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
I just usually pick up a few of the commons on CSI here and there to push me over the $100 mark.

Does anybody have any advice on beating Yggdrasil. We have like a less than 20% win record overall I think. I just can't quite figure out what we're doing wrong. Usually I'm like man I think we're in good shape and then BOOM we lose.

Maybe we just suck, but we beat Death Angel pretty consistently and that's supposed to be a pretty tough co-op game.

Also hoping for the BGG store to restock the expansion for it soon.
Depending on how many players there are, I find using the Tyr, Thor, and Frey combo to be the best option. Try to obtain as many weapons as possible, maxing out each one as high as possible. Meaning, even if a hero has the Level 3 Fenrir weapon, someone else should be maxing out to level 2 for Fenrir, and the other person snagging the level 1. This should be done as much as possible for every weapon.

Also, people are often reluctant to waste turns against the ice giants, failing to realize the immense benefit you gain when you complete a rune. Granted, I've only won 3 times in Yggdrasil out of the dozen or so times I've played, but all my losses always came down to 2-3 cards left in the "monster" deck.

--------------------------------

On a side note, played a game of DC DBG and 51st State last night. Getting antsy for next week's TotalCon!

It takes a revolution to begin evolution...
www.myspace.com/theautimis - Check out the Heroscape inspired song, "Valhalla's On Fire" at this link!!! (lyrics included)
Old February 16th, 2013, 03:23 PM

Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by akden View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Lawnmower View Post
Not trying to muddy the warriors, but were you meaning X-Wing miniatures, instead? That isn't a blind purchase, and the base set comes with 2 TIE Fighters and one X-Wing. If that's the one you're talking about, I'd recommend at least one X-Wing expansion (comes with Wedge as a pilot) and either a couple more TIE's or a TIE Advance (comes with Vader as a pilot). The game really seems to shine with more ships, but that would give you a decent chance to build some squads. Also, some time in the not-too distant future, the Falcon and Slave 1 are coming.

But if you meant Star Wars minis, then disregard the above, and pick some cheap commons through CSI or Miniature Market. You can also find some relatively cheap lots on Ebay. We just buy to add to our factions (my son likes Clones, and I like Jedi).
Yes sorry I was referring to the X-Wing miniatures. Thanks for the help!
Old February 16th, 2013, 11:50 PM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I played two games of Heroscape with my son today, testing armies for Dad_Scaper's tournament next week-end. One of my armies was completely decimated, so it's back to the drawing board...

Tonight, we played a game of Space Hulk, Third Edition. My brother joined in, and he and my son split the Space Marines (TM) between them. It was another fun, tense game, but as usual, they all fell to the razor-sharp claws and gnashing teeth of the genestealers. I don't play this game enough. It is truly awesome.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games