Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old March 24th, 2008, 08:57 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun
Searching Program

I don't have the computer skills necessary to do this, but I'm sure someone around here might.

If maps were assigned a label including the number of all the bigs sets required to build it (RotV, SotM, RtFF, TT, VW, FotA, etc.) and a search program were designed to seach out the number of sets that match the specified requirements, Scapers could put in the number of each terrain set they have and the program would show them every map using that much terrain.

This way, people could find maps exactly the right size they can build without having to hunt through all the threads. I realize that in the download section it sorts them by Master Sets, but this program would give exact matches for the necessary terrain.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old March 24th, 2008, 09:01 PM
All growed up

Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
should have posted that here
Or you could swing by the site improvement thread
Old March 26th, 2008, 09:43 AM

Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I mentioned this a while back and still think it would be a great idea if anyone could set it up this way. Searching through all available maps based on what you have or want to use would be fantastic. The map request thread requires you to wait for someone to answer, and they'll most likely just dig through maps as inefficiently as you could have. Not that it's a bad thing, just that I think the terrain-specific search is a great idea.
Old March 26th, 2008, 10:01 AM

TOG knows what's in an order marker TOG knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Shackle
I mentioned this a while back and still think it would be a great idea if anyone could set it up this way. Searching through all available maps based on what you have or want to use would be fantastic. The map request thread requires you to wait for someone to answer, and they'll most likely just dig through maps as inefficiently as you could have. Not that it's a bad thing, just that I think the terrain-specific search is a great idea.
You are really dealing with two problems here, only one of which is easily solved.

First, you need development of the database. The volunteers that maintain this site haven't even finished the revamp yet, yet alone been able to develop an add-on like the map index.

Second, someone to actually create the data needed, which will probably involved thousands of hours of work, although there are many contributors here that could get this done.

Apparently, web developers interested in Heroscape with an inordinate amount of free time that are willing to dedicate said free time to such an endeavor, are in short supply.
Old March 26th, 2008, 10:06 AM

Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOG
Quote:
You are really dealing with two problems here, only one of which is easily solved.

First, you need development of the database. The volunteers that maintain this site haven't even finished the revamp yet, yet alone been able to develop an add-on like the map index.

Second, someone to actually create the data needed, which will probably involved thousands of hours of work, although there are many contributors here that could get this done.

Apparently, web developers interested in Heroscape with an inordinate amount of free time that are willing to dedicate said free time to such an endeavor, are in short supply.
Bummer. Well, I posted it in the site improvement box anyway. Thanks TOG.
Old March 26th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Ug, a gray man

Eckels knows what's in an order marker Eckels knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOG
Quote:

I wrote a very similar database for a game called "Zelda Classic" a few years ago (I also designed the website). It was just for fun, as I was very involved in the community over there at the time, but I haven't been there in quite a while.

http://www.zeldaclassic.com/ (Then click on QuestDB)

The database was written in php, and used an sql back-end. It's purpose is to catalog and sort the many custom quests that users had designed for Zelda Classic. It worked very well. I'm no longer involved in running it at all, but I just checked it out and it hasn't changed since I last did anything to it.

I was recently thinking about how a similar thing could be done for Heroscape maps, but I honestly haven't got the time to tackle it. I've just started a new job, and am trying to sell a business. (egad!)

I'd be willing to set up another such database in the future, once free time becomes less rare. Unfortunately, hobbies don't pay the bills

Good Traders: Just_a_Bill, Wind Lane, Steiner, Hilo-scaper, tdavid6
My Latest Maps
Old March 27th, 2008, 09:21 AM

That would be awesome Eck! Please mention this to the admins if you are serious.
Old March 27th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Ug, a gray man

I'm actually starting to play with it a bit again... (got myself some webspace last night to host it on) but If I do put it all together, it'd be on my own site, not on this one.

My Latest Maps
Old March 27th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Thanosiest Princess

Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckels
I'm actually starting to play with it a bit again... (got myself some webspace last night to host it on) but If I do put it all together, it'd be on my own site, not on this one.
I used to playtest levels for a friend of mine that used that! He wanted to make an insanely difficult, yet still beatable full scale adventure. Getting past the first six or eight screens got you into a cave, but each screen was crowded with difficult baddies and no spots to hide. Looks like they've done some major upgrades since then.
Old March 27th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Ug, a gray man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Lane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckels
I used to playtest levels for a friend of mine that used that! He wanted to make an insanely difficult, yet still beatable full scale adventure. Getting past the first six or eight screens got you into a cave, but each screen was crowded with difficult baddies and no spots to hide. Looks like they've done some major upgrades since then.
actually, I was referring to the database there - I just started playing around with the database again.

Years ago I was heavy into zelda classic though. (wow, almost 8 years now!) In fact, the quest I made is still in that database - titled "Eckland". A stupid title, I'll admit, but a very solid zelda quest. if you're into such things, I suggest you give it a shot.

My Latest Maps

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios