Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old August 25th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Seeker of the Last Word

RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Elite HeroScape Storage System

Well, I officially dislike just about everything I have seen for storage solutions for HeroScape. Tackleboxes get too cluttered, shelves get dusty, other solutions take up too much space or are too expensive per figure, or both.

And then I ran into DeadMaxx' Galery. I realized that that is pretty close to perfect.

Since then Deadmaxx and me have been talking quite a bit, he send me one of his prototype trays and we have been improving on the design, especially so it can accomodate one and two hexers without having to cut anything ourselves (which tends to look alright, but not as clean as having it done by a die). Deadmaxx really should get the credit here, as he's done all the groundwork. I have entire spreadsheets detailing what figure fits in what size foam and everything. Just: WOW!

This post is for asking two questions to you, the community:
1. Does anybody have any experience with foam die-cutting? Anyone that can give me some good info on who to approach for a job like this, please contact me.
2. Who of you would be interested in a storage solution like the one shown in the gallary, and what would you be willing to pay? The case is about $90 without any trays. We are trying to get the price of trays to be on the lower side of $10 a piece, maybe cheaper depending on how many show interest, and roughly 10 fit in that case.
The case comes from Charon, and when the time comes to put in the order we will see if we can get a quantum discount, but otherwise I have nothing to do with that.
You obviously don't commit to anything by showing interest, but please be realistic about your interest, as I will be using it to try and get certain pricing. A foam filled case will probably be about $150. However, if you just want a few (or even just one) tray you are more than welcome to join along too.
Note that additional orders later on are (most likely) possible and do not require the same minimum order sizes as the first order, due to the fact the die will already be made.

Thanx in advance to everyone who reacts.

They are done! Version 1.00 is out: Books of HeroScape in pdf format

Last edited by RobertDD; August 25th, 2008 at 09:54 PM.
Old August 25th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Re: Elite HeroScape Storage System

They look nice, but that is way too pricey for my wallet.
Old August 25th, 2008, 02:57 PM

holylink718 knows what's in an order marker holylink718 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Agreed.

I have 6 $10-$12 tackle boxes that work perfectly for everything except for a few of the bigger ones (All 6 dragons, Grimnak, Tor-Kul-Na, and Jotun).

Great idea, though, for those of us who have extra $$$ to spare (or those of us who are just that crazy...)

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.

Good trades with: lharles

Holylink718's Repaints
Old August 25th, 2008, 03:02 PM

Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby!

How many figures will it hold?
How large is the case?

DWARVES!
Old August 25th, 2008, 03:03 PM

Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby!

As part of my "storage table" in a really old thread, I had a foam insert type of storage system developed for heroscape figures... made a little bit better use of space then the ones above, but not much.

I never did find an affordable place to source and cut the foam... almost just did it myself, but it was cheaper to just use the tackle boxes.
Old August 25th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Seeker of the Last Word

RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
How many figures will it hold?
How large is the case?
The individual trays are 10-3/4" x 14" and in thickness 1.5" or 2.5" with an additional 0.25" bottom. The case is 7" high and fits 3 trays next to one another. There are other, smaller cases that fit two trays next to eachother, or even a case that fits just one 1.5" tray.

The trays fit 6 x 8 single hex figs, using 2 spaces for double hex figs. Almost all figures but the largest heroes (dragons) fit.

The solution optimizes storage quite a bit, similar trays on the market that are more generic cost the same but store only around 32 figures.

An entire case like deadmaxx's fits every figure up to now once. I myself want extra space for multiple commons, although my current collection by no means fills even a quarter case right now.

48 figures storage for less than $10 really isn't that bad compared to tackle boxes either....

BTW, note that the case is just a pre-made solution by Charon. It is the trays that make it special for HeroScape. So I guess if you are just interested in a bunch of trays, like two or three (or even one) and do not want to spend all that cash, still let me know! I edited my first post to reflect that.

Old August 25th, 2008, 03:18 PM

guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker

It's something I may look into, especially as my collection tends to outgrow its old storage devices periodically. It's beginning to remind me of a hermit crab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
Did you lose your saving throw vs. Fabulous?
B.U.D.
Old August 25th, 2008, 03:32 PM

Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby!

Okay at $10 bucks a tray I would be more than willing to invest. The initial price tag of $150 was a bit scary, but after looking at the pictures it seems to be a decent sized case, and the trays would fit into an Army Transport storage case as well!

DWARVES!
Old August 25th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Seeker of the Last Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by holylink718 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Agreed.

I have 6 $10-$12 tackle boxes that work perfectly for everything except for a few of the bigger ones (All 6 dragons, Grimnak, Tor-Kul-Na, and Jotun).

Great idea, though, for those of us who have extra $$$ to spare (or those of us who are just that crazy...)

OK, Drac, I found This thread, but the pictures do not work anymore .

Is there any chance you share these pics with us, or, at the very least, your optimized design of the trays that fit even more figs. We are still playing around with the design.

Old August 25th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Seeker of the Last Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
Okay at $10 bucks a tray I would be more than willing to invest. The initial price tag of $150 was a bit scary, but after looking at the pictures it seems to be a decent sized case, and the trays would fit into an Army Transport storage case as well!
Army transports are designed for foam of 7.5" x 13" (according to their web site), so that might be a problem. These will fit all Charon cases. Is there in general more of a preference for Army Transport compatibility?

Old August 25th, 2008, 03:51 PM

Not really, I am just unfamiliar with Charon.

DWARVES!
Old August 25th, 2008, 03:59 PM

Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby!

I removed those pics long ago to keep someone from copying the table. They were all 3d graphics nothing really worth looking at. Not even sure I still have any of them...

They were mostly of the storage case, the foam inserts were just small and hard to see since it was my backup plan to sell jsut those.

All I need to cut my foam is:
1: an affordable source for foam, I figure EVA foam is better for my design its stiffer.. its the stuff Flip Flops are made out of.
2: Access to a CNC Wire cutter...
3: $ to buy the foam...

I have also throught about making the pattern from wood or plastic, but Ide rather do the softer foam. There is also a chance my idea will not work, althugh the hand cut prototype parts I've made hold the figures just fine. Also my concept will ONLY work with heroscape figure bases... other bases unless the same size will not fit.
My idea was intended originaly for the large case as mentioned, but I have it designed so it is a cut to fit type thing, so a small cardboard box would work just fine as well.
I still want to try and develop my idea into a sellable product, even if only enough to buy a few tanks of gas, so I am not too keen on showing it to the world to copy... not sure which of the many versions I have I would show a pic of anyway.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion