Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old June 23rd, 2010, 12:00 PM
It's a large Dagger, not a Small Sword

theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Mindflayer Mastermind pre-release discussion thread

You can't loop enslave, it triggers on a turn that you reveal an order marker on.

Wizards of the Coast Tabletop Games Designer

Latest FAQs 13.4 (10/6)
Old June 23rd, 2010, 12:00 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
I like this guy. Plant him behind a ruin in the middle of the battlefield and attack and he can actually do something with it unlike Tul-Bak-Ra. The thing is, you need to waste an order marker on him to waste an order marker on the opponent's unit. The Ornak idea is neat but you still need something more to kill with than two blind attacks of 3. He can screw opponents that spread there order markers a bit but as far as stacking all markers on 4th Mass I don't think the Mindflayer ruins it because it kind of cancels your turn as well.
That's why I like Ornak. He gives you the chance to get 2 kills AND potentially kill 2 turns with just one Order Marker. I agree though that you need something else to fill out that army that can do damage.

Torin/Raelin with Mind Flayers could be interesting, because they actually have some range and the ability to kill turns. You can just sit some Mind Flayers next to Torin, with Raelin backing them and, when you reveal an OM if there's nothing in range of your Mind Flayer, just try to Enslave something else that can shoot. If they're firing at you with normal attacks, they're in trouble trying to get through 6D and will probably have to close to melee, in which case you start removing OMs.

EDIT: @ Oliver - theGuru is of course correct that you have to reveal an OM to Enslave, so you can't do it on the Ornak turn because you revealed the OM on Ornak.

Also, you can't even Enslave a MFM once, because Enslave doesn't work on other Mind Flayers.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old June 23rd, 2010, 12:02 PM

Oliver Upshaw rolls all skulls baby! Oliver Upshaw rolls all skulls baby! Oliver Upshaw rolls all skulls baby! Oliver Upshaw rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGuru View Post
You can't loop enslave, it triggers on a turn that you reveal an order marker on.
And another plans crashes into reality.

“Flores died on the way up." Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
Old June 23rd, 2010, 12:02 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
I like this guy. Plant him behind a ruin in the middle of the battlefield and attack and he can actually do something with it unlike Tul-Bak-Ra. The thing is, you need to waste an order marker on him to waste an order marker on the opponent's unit. The Ornak idea is neat but you still need something more to kill with than two blind attacks of 3. He can screw opponents that spread there order markers a bit but as far as stacking all markers on 4th Mass I don't think the Mindflayer ruins it because it kind of cancels your turn as well.

However you can still enslave afterwards so it's not a total waste, and you also have your 3 attack already hit. But whether he's effective or not I don't think he sucks, he has solid stats and potentially powerful abilities.
I think your solution would be to use him against bonding squads. Use the mind blast against a squaddie to kill an order marker, then try to take control of their hero.

Quick thought, against the MacDirk's, I think I'll overextend Alastair into oblivion!!! Or at the very least put another wound on him and run him towards my guys to get him stuck.

Is it just me, or is the X order marker slowly becoming more important? Against this guy, you could use the X to try to shield another order marker.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old June 23rd, 2010, 12:07 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:

Ah, shucks!!
But you can enslave Dr. Doom who mind exchanges with ....

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old June 23rd, 2010, 12:07 PM

Freezie knows what's in an order marker Freezie knows what's in an order marker Freezie knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post
Quote:

However you can still enslave afterwards so it's not a total waste, and you also have your 3 attack already hit. But whether he's effective or not I don't think he sucks, he has solid stats and potentially powerful abilities.
I think your solution would be to use him against bonding squads. Use the mind blast against a squaddie to kill an order marker, then try to take control of their hero.

Quick thought, against the MacDirk's, I think I'll overextend Alastair into oblivion!!! Or at the very least put another wound on him and run him towards my guys to get him stuck.

Is it just me, or is the X order marker slowly becoming more important? Against this guy, you could use the X to try to shield another order marker.
I've always considered the X marker important. It's importance has just been magnified though by this release. Pay attention to your order markers people! OM placement is what wins and loses games

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me -Psalm 23:4
Old June 23rd, 2010, 12:09 PM

Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
Quote:

Ah, shucks!!
Your teammate's Doctor Doom!

Spoiler Alert!
...In the Dream Cave...
Old June 23rd, 2010, 12:11 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

You can use enslave on your own figures!!!!! That's awesome!!!

Mindflayer 20% bonding with any unique hero within 4 clear sight spaces.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old June 23rd, 2010, 12:25 PM

rasputen4565 Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasputen4565 View Post
I think that Braxas would be the best in that situation. She could wipe them all out in a matter of seconds.

Braxas
Squidward x2
410 points. What else could you add?
There are a lot of good squad killers that usually fall apart because the squads overrun them. I'd be for putting a couple mindflayers in an army with:
Tor-Kul-Na, and just run them over.
Grimnak, and just take them off the board.
Zelrig, and fry them all.
Sharwin?, and lightening the crud out of groups.
DW8K, lots of chances to get rolling.

I personally like the idea of playing DW8K, Ornak, and a couple of mindflayers against a Viper or Ashigaru army.
I like Braxas' and TKN's chances best. I have faith in my d20!

I know, I know, I spelled it wrong on purpose.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 12:35 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post
Shouldn't the race be Illithid, not Mindflayer?
This wasn't an oversight.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old June 23rd, 2010, 12:35 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Cat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
Quote:

Ah, shucks!!
Your teammate's Doctor Doom!
Nope. You can't have two Dooms in your army (even temporarily).

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old June 23rd, 2010, 12:36 PM

Enslave could be infuriating with a melee hero. Enemy hero runs 5-6 spaces towards the enemy, intent on reaching enemy lines to wreak havoc. Mindflayer enslaves him, runs him right back where he was, and hits something. Not only has the Mindflayer killed something (with the enemy's figure), it effectively negated a turn (because the movement is basically cancelled).

How about reversing a Zelrig attack? Mindflayer takes Zelrig, turns him around, and fries his own starting zone!!!

Jugger

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units