Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old August 12th, 2009, 08:37 PM

spybloom has disabled reputation
Caught between two 500 point armies

All right, so basically, I'm participating in a tournament at Gencon, and most of my units and cards are back at home, I don't have much experience in tournaments, and I have two separate armies to choose from.

The first army:
Arrow Gruts x2
Blade Gruts x2
Nerak the Glacian Swog Rider
Grimnak
Swog Rider
Krug

The first army is obviously based around orc bonding. It leads the way with the Blade Gruts closely surrounding Grimnak, yet allowing the occasional chomp, and Krug, followed by Arrow Gruts surrounding the Swog Rider, with a Nerak located somewhere between the two groups to provide a decent defense boost. I'm not completely sure what to do with order markers, or, more specifically, who to bond with and when, since each grut has two bonding heroes.

The second army:
Anubian Wolves
Izumi Samurai
Krav Maga Agents
Nilfheim
Raelin the Kyrie Warrior (RotV)

Now, this is more of a power army than a synergistic army. My plan was to have the Anubian Wolves lead the way as a sort of suiciding first wave, with everyone else behind forming a shell around Raelin and Nilfheim - Samurai protecting Krav Maga, Krav Maga surrounding and protecting Raelin (who provides defense to them all), backed up by Nilfheim. Once the wolves are dead, the group would closely follow in their formation, sending the Agents in next, and then Nilfheim, leaving the Samurais and Raelin as a last resort.

While the second army seems easier for me to use, reading up a bit here the first army seems like the better choice. Which do you think would be the better choice / what improvements could be made to either?

-spybloom
Old August 12th, 2009, 09:02 PM

habs1009 knows what's in an order marker habs1009 knows what's in an order marker
Re: Caught between two 500 point armies

I like 'em both.Flip a coin or something.

My map thread.
Spoiler Alert!
Old August 12th, 2009, 09:43 PM

Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'd go with the second army, the "Power Army."

The first army has better intentions, but because of the lack of massive common units, you're better off going with some more potent units like Niflheim and the Krav.

This is all assuming you don't own more gruts and swogs. If you do, pick one of the gruts and theme the whole army around them.

Handle origin: I used to film comedy skits with my friends. I didn't want any cursing in them, so I made up new insults, like "dendrik". Then Sir Denrick came out, and the rest is history.
Old August 12th, 2009, 09:44 PM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Go with the second army. But use the wolves not as a suicide squad, but more of a demolition squad. Do as much damage with them as possible, if you are lucky, and then send the rest.

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old August 13th, 2009, 09:04 AM

Sport351 knows what's in an order marker Sport351 knows what's in an order marker Sport351 knows what's in an order marker

I would choose the second army. It seems to be easier to maneuver and adapt.

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand, lead him to a quiet place and kill him."
— Mark Twain
Old August 13th, 2009, 10:23 AM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I don't like one squad of wolves, but its hard to go wrong with Nilfheim, KMA and Raelin. The Izumi should be a resonable shield. I'd go with the second army.
Old August 13th, 2009, 10:38 AM

Armageddon has disabled reputation

I agree with everyone else...the second army seems your best bet, under the circumstances.

Great Traders: Hilo-scaper, Dicemaster, InfinityMax, Rodriquez, Tmac2200
Old August 13th, 2009, 11:10 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I like the second army better - sort of. A single common squad is not going to be an effective use of an OM.

Does it have to be exactly either of these or do these two armies together comprise your pool of available figures?

If so, I'd say ditch the Izumi AND the single squad of wolves and go with :

Raelin,
Krav,
Nilfheim,
Krug

That's 485. Depending on what event, you might have room for a little filler there.

Old August 13th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarLimbo View Post
I like the second army better - sort of. A single common squad is not going to be an effective use of an OM.

Does it have to be exactly either of these or do these two armies together comprise your pool of available figures?

Raelin,
Krav,
Nilfheim,
Krug

That's 485. Depending on what event, you might have room for a little filler there.
Izumi and Krav are uniques.
Old August 13th, 2009, 11:51 PM

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord Alpha View Post
Quote:

Raelin,
Krav,
Nilfheim,
Krug

Yeeeeeees, I know. I guess I wasn't clear...

I'm saying I like the second army with the exception of the single squad of Anubians. Just the three Anubians isn't going to be worth the OM.

But taking out the wolves doesn't free up enough points to supplement Krug, so I'm proposing to also take out the next weakest link, the Izumi.

Old August 13th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Raelin,
Krav,
Nilfheim,
Krug

Yes, I know. I guess I wasn't clear...

I'm saying I like the second army with the exception of the single squad of Anubians. Just the three Anubians isn't going to be worth the OM.

But taking out the wolves doesn't free up enough point to supplement Krug, so I'm proposing to also take out the next weakest link, the Izumi.
I forgot about the Anubians. I must just be tired or something tonight, thats like the third retarded post in a row. Announcer: "RETARDED POSTING SPREE."

Yeah, I like the second army as well. I quite like the modifications.
Old August 13th, 2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Raelin,
Krav,
Nilfheim,
Krug

Yes, I know. I guess I wasn't clear...

But taking out the wolves doesn't free up enough point to supplement Krug, so I'm proposing to also take out the next weakest link, the Izumi.
I forgot about the Anubians. I must just be tired or something tonight, thats like the third retarded post in a row. Announcer: "RETARDED POSTING SPREE."

Yeah, I like the second army as well. I quite like the modifications.
No worries. Sounds like you need some sleep. Or some coffee!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion