Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old September 1st, 2008, 02:08 PM

fetelgeuse Woo who?
Re: Beginner's Painting Tutorial. *Painting Mimring + Drybru

Nice work justjohn, very informative. I have one question for you, or anyone else for that matter. I am somewhat disappointed with the Grok Riders' paint jobs. A couple of mine look like they just got a very spotty light red wash, while most look like they got none at all, leaving the beasts a weird light blue color that is too cartoonish to look intimidating. Also the mouths are just featureless white gaps. Has anyone else had this problem and tried a wash? I guess I am wondering if just a wash alone would be enough, or whether it would require a little extra painting as well. Any help would be much appreciated.

Estragon: I can't go on like this.
Vladimir: That's what you think.
Old September 1st, 2008, 02:52 PM

pegasus rolls all skulls baby! pegasus rolls all skulls baby! pegasus rolls all skulls baby! pegasus rolls all skulls baby! pegasus rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetelgeuse View Post
Nice work justjohn, very informative. I have one question for you, or anyone else for that matter. I am somewhat disappointed with the Grok Riders' paint jobs. A couple of mine look like they just got a very spotty light red wash, while most look like they got none at all, leaving the beasts a weird light blue color that is too cartoonish to look intimidating. Also the mouths are just featureless white gaps. Has anyone else had this problem and tried a wash? I guess I am wondering if just a wash alone would be enough, or whether it would require a little extra painting as well. Any help would be much appreciated.
Yes, a wash would do the job...provided it's a good quality wash. Games Workshop has recently introduced a new series of washes of very high quality. look at http://uk.games-workshop.com/painting/washes/4/ what can be achieved by just a wash.
Other good quality brands would probably work too, but I have no experience with those.
Just as long as you don't forget to properly rinse and clean your figure first.
success.
Old September 1st, 2008, 03:08 PM

fetelgeuse Woo who?

Thanks for the info pegasus, but I'm not really into painting figs that seriously, since 'scape is the only game of this kind I play. I was thinking more along the lines of the simple black-paint-and-water type wash described above. Any thoughts?

Old September 1st, 2008, 03:45 PM

pegasus rolls all skulls baby! pegasus rolls all skulls baby! pegasus rolls all skulls baby! pegasus rolls all skulls baby! pegasus rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Thanks for the info pegasus, but I'm not really into painting figs that seriously, since 'scape is the only game of this kind I play. I was thinking more along the lines of the simple black-paint-and-water type wash described above. Any thoughts?
For the occasional painter a good wash is actually easier to control than watered down paint. But if don't want to go that route or cannot obtain the materials you can use a black wash for the beasts. That would work out OK because of their base color. But whatever you do, do not use black for the riders. It will not look good.
If you want to use a paint and water wash, go for a dark brown. It will look much better. If you look closely at your other HS figures you'll notice that (with one or two exceptions) they're all shaded brown, not black.
So if you use a dark brown wash your units will look good and fit in with the other figures.

With watered down paint cleaning (de-greasing) is even more important to achieve a good result.
Old September 1st, 2008, 04:27 PM

fetelgeuse Woo who?

Thanks a lot. Your input is appreciated, especially since, judging by your repaints, you obviously know what you're doing. I'll give it a try. Also, by cleaning, you just mean cleaning the figure before I apply the wash, correct?

Old September 1st, 2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
by cleaning, you just mean cleaning the figure before I apply the wash, correct?
yep
Old April 5th, 2009, 08:50 PM

Sokol knows what's in an order marker Sokol knows what's in an order marker

Alright, justjohn. Your painting tutorial is awesome! I read it today and decided to try repainting one of the umpteen extra Izumi Samurai squads I have lying around. Thanks to your tutorial, things went along swimmingly. I didn't do anything fancy, just repainted their armor from red to black and touched up some stuff the original painter did poorly on, but they look really good!

I am already getting more ideas as to other repaints I can do. I see a custom thread with my name in it in my future.

Thanks, justjohn!

One Game to rule them all, One Game to find them,
One Game to bring them all and in their wallets bind them
In the Land of Valhalla where the Valkyrie lie.
Old April 5th, 2009, 09:40 PM

Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Thanks for posting this justjohn, and for bumping it sokol. I've been gathering the figures to make repainted gencon exclusives, and although I haven't yet looked for the techniques to start the painting, this puts me on the right track without even having to use search!

"Anti"-Oxymoron
I'm anti-fashion, anti-religion
Anti-police and anti-system;
Anti-commercial and anti-prison,
Anti, anti-everything.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 02:55 PM

cba456 Woo who?

I've been looking at doing customs and re-paints for a while now, but have been too nervous to get started (I don't have any "extra" figures) this has really encouraged me to get started.
I've been wanting to do morrow as they are my favorite army (cue flame about how morrow is not an "army" but a "species") any ideas for what color wash to use, the originals seem to have a dark red wash, but I'm not sure. Also any other tips on painting morrow would be great. Thanks.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 03:09 PM

cba456 Woo who?

Also (sorry for the double post, I forgot before), people keep mentioning a re-paint guide in an HSCodex issue, anyone know what number that was?
Old March 10th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

Anybody use spray primer for Plastic (like Fusion or Valspar) as a base coat? I have some plastic unpainted HALO figures I want to paint. Thanks.

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old November 8th, 2014, 06:37 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

@justjohn - The pictures from this excellent reference do not seem to be working. Can you update them?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions