Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Old July 24th, 2013, 12:29 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: The Book of Cathar Spearmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dendrik View Post
This army just won Islandscape, Long Island's Gencon equivalent:

Marcus Decimus Gallus 100
Count Raymond 190
3x Cathar Spearmen 415
+filler

That 6 move gives them a large threat range to deal with range, and they're already monsters against melee. At first I thought these guys were just a really fun squad, but they're emerging as a top contender.
They're really solid. I've seen some deride the Raymond+Marcus combo but 6 move Cathars are pretty darn good.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old July 24th, 2013, 05:35 AM

DBC knows what's in an order marker DBC knows what's in an order marker DBC knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dendrik View Post
This army just won Islandscape, Long Island's Gencon equivalent:

Count Raymond 190
3x Cathar Spearmen 415
+filler

That 6 move gives them a large threat range to deal with range, and they're already monsters against melee. At first I thought these guys were just a really fun squad, but they're emerging as a top contender.
They're really solid. I've seen some deride the Raymond+Marcus combo but 6 move Cathars are pretty darn good.
Yup!
They work quite well together, in my opinion.
I usually also pair up Marcus with a squad of Romans. So when I am forced to move him he has some back-up and fighting power.
Old July 24th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth

Just for the record Son of Grishnakh won with:

Count Raymond 190
3x Cathar Spearmen 415
Marcu
Old July 24th, 2013, 11:45 AM

elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby!

Cathars vs. Templars, anyone? Classic Cavalry charge against the tight infantry formation? I'd love to see horses being impaled on spearheads...

We're eating Horse tonight, boys- Belgian style!
Old July 29th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

I maintain my thought that these guys are flat A units. Braced spears is incredibly cheap with their 4 defense. They give enemy melee no chance to win. Combine it with limited range and 6 move and you have a squad that is better than any of the top melee squads. They also will fare well against range with 6 move, 2 range, and 4 defense. The B+ in the rankings is VERY inaccurate.

Compare their spears to other engagement strikes: Arkmer and Nakitas. Both are fragile units, so when you do get next to them, you can kill them.

Compare stats to KoW or Heavies: just as good if using Reach. Sure, they don't have bonding, but they don't need it with their spears and range. Plus, with Marcus and Count, they have more move.
Old July 29th, 2013, 10:22 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

I've rarely had Braced Spears to hit. You must've had a game where they hit it like crazy.

But, they certainly are strong.

Also, you sacrifice a lot of Spearmen to run Marcus+Raymond.
Old July 30th, 2013, 05:36 AM
Marcel Marceau

DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun

I prefer play them without Marcus. Move 5 is sufficient most of the time and 4 more Cathars is not negligible...

There's a good counter for Braced Spear that is simply a Bonding with a hero that has a good survivability.
The Hero engage the Cathars and so negate the Spears for the squad. Multiple lifes makes the strategy viable.

And so armies like orcs, westons etc... can won if well played against Spearmen.

Bunch of useful resources (army cards,
blanks, online databases & more..!)
French Forum's admin.
Old July 30th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanieLoche View Post
I prefer play them without Marcus. Move 5 is sufficient most of the time and 4 more Cathars is not negligible...

There's a good counter for Braced Spear that is simply a Bonding with a hero that has a good survivability.
The Hero engage the Cathars and so negate the Spears for the squad. Multiple lifes makes the strategy viable.

And so armies like orcs, westons etc... can won if well played against Spearmen.
Not at all.

A hero that multi-engages will take a bunch of wounds. The squaddies then won't get many bonuses from the hero. You still run into their 5 defense on height.

6 move means that they get height. I'd rather have that than more spearmen. I was talking about the IslandScape winning army.

And it works a quarter of the time, just like Plague. However, hounds are more expensive and a 3 man squad.
Old July 30th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Can not ignore himself because of typo - Online HS Season 2 Champion

awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun

Cathars are definitely tough, and I think they deserve an A- myself. However...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
A hero that multi-engages will take a bunch of wounds.
Not really. On average, the hero's only going to get one wound for every four Cathars he engages.

Old July 30th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Cooking Rice is Hard

And even if you try that strategy, a good player will only let the hero engage one spearmen at a time so the others can attack down with 4 or impale any rushing commons. 4 attacks of 4 will tear down Grimnak or Gilbert, trust me.
Old July 30th, 2013, 10:07 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
And even if you try that strategy, a good player will only let the hero engage one spearmen at a time so the others can attack down with 4 or impale any rushing commons. 4 attacks of 4 will tear down Grimnak or Gilbert, trust me.
And a "good player" probably won't put his hero in that situation.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old July 30th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Quote:
And a "good player" probably won't put his hero in that situation.

I think Orc has had a really bad first match against them... d20 must have been crazy good.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs