Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures
Other Miniatures Miniatures games besides Heroscape.

Notices

Old March 16th, 2021, 01:02 AM
Promotable Material

Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Frostgrave, Halo Ground Command and other tabletop minis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
While I agree on having way more game options that I haven’t got to delve into, I figure that with the amount of terrain and models I have that I already have for other games that can work for this, that just grabbing the book is worth it for me. I like that they have this other book as well for solo play. I’ve been slowly getting my brothers and now my nephews back into playing games.
I'm tempted to do the same for very similar reasons.

I have a lot of the Legion minis and AvP stuff ... it seems like it shouldn't be too difficult to add some custom rules to accommodate either verse.

I saw somewhere that someone did a full Rangers of Shadow Deep conversion for Star Wars ... was called Rebels of Space Deep or something like that -- probably on BGG or Facebook ...
Old March 16th, 2021, 09:11 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfire View Post

I liked Walking Dead and own Elder Scrolls (picked it up on clearance oddly enough), but I haven't tried it yet -- it looked fun and I need to try the solo play option ... while the rules don't seem to be the most difficult for any game I've played the rulebook was a struggle for me to read through for some reason (perhaps I was just in too much of a rush between this thing and that thing -- happens unfortunately), but I do look forward to playing it.

And currently I have a Rangers campaign going with some guys and it's quite fun, but oh so difficult to get together at the same time -- I get tempted to just play thru the campaign/missions/scenarios solo, but I try to be patient.

Either way, we seem to have been traveling down similar game pathways -- for better or for worse. :P
For sure seem to be interested inthe same games.

Elder Scrolls is nice and different from RoSD. The rulebook is kind of a pain as you will be flipping back and forth looking for stuff for a little while and referencing it during the game, but after awhile, it gets more intuitive. But that's also why I like to play a miniatures game in bunches, so by playing several games of it before moving on to another one, it gives me time to get very comfortable with the rules. This is mostly for newer games and playing them initially. There is also an errata for download for the game. It seems like a lot at first, but its mostly minor wording changes. Oh, and the shield symbol on the character cards should be up in the top skill. That has been noted in the errata and they reprinted those cards correctly and included them in the Civil War Card pack that has a lot of cool cards and character cards for the other characters released in expansions for chapter 1.

I've played a couple scenarios of RoSD with a friend, but otherwise have played through everything up through the first couple scenarios in the Temple of Madness mission book solo. If I wait to get others to play, I'd be waiting a long time.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old March 16th, 2021, 09:13 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
While I agree on having way more game options that I haven’t got to delve into, I figure that with the amount of terrain and models I have that I already have for other games that can work for this, that just grabbing the book is worth it for me. I like that they have this other book as well for solo play. I’ve been slowly getting my brothers and now my nephews back into playing games.
I'm tempted to do the same for very similar reasons.

I have a lot of the Legion minis and AvP stuff ... it seems like it shouldn't be too difficult to add some custom rules to accommodate either verse.

I saw somewhere that someone did a full Rangers of Shadow Deep conversion for Star Wars ... was called Rebels of Space Deep or something like that -- probably on BGG or Facebook ...

I'll likely get it for sure at some point, but I'd have to account for the first 2 books since it would be solo only unless by buddy Chris finds time. Of course we both have a ton of catching up with other games we combine to own.

Old March 16th, 2021, 07:23 PM
Promotable Material

Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:

I liked Walking Dead and own Elder Scrolls (picked it up on clearance oddly enough), but I haven't tried it yet -- it looked fun and I need to try the solo play option ... while the rules don't seem to be the most difficult for any game I've played the rulebook was a struggle for me to read through for some reason (perhaps I was just in too much of a rush between this thing and that thing -- happens unfortunately), but I do look forward to playing it.

And currently I have a Rangers campaign going with some guys and it's quite fun, but oh so difficult to get together at the same time -- I get tempted to just play thru the campaign/missions/scenarios solo, but I try to be patient.

Either way, we seem to have been traveling down similar game pathways -- for better or for worse. :P

Elder Scrolls is nice and different from RoSD. The rulebook is kind of a pain as you will be flipping back and forth looking for stuff for a little while and referencing it during the game, but after awhile, it gets more intuitive. But that's also why I like to play a miniatures game in bunches, so by playing several games of it before moving on to another one, it gives me time to get very comfortable with the rules. This is mostly for newer games and playing them initially. There is also an errata for download for the game. It seems like a lot at first, but its mostly minor wording changes. Oh, and the shield symbol on the character cards should be up in the top skill. That has been noted in the errata and they reprinted those cards correctly and included them in the Civil War Card pack that has a lot of cool cards and character cards for the other characters released in expansions for chapter 1.

I've played a couple scenarios of RoSD with a friend, but otherwise have played through everything up through the first couple scenarios in the Temple of Madness mission book solo. If I wait to get others to play, I'd be waiting a long time.
Focusing attention on one game for a bit is definitely a good way to go. So many games out there that divide one's attention ... currently, I'm in the middle of a purge where I sell some of the games that no longer get any play. Perhaps an excuse to dive into some Elder Scrolls and/or Rangers.
Old March 16th, 2021, 08:59 PM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Focusing attention on one game for a bit is definitely a good way to go. So many games out there that divide one's attention ... currently, I'm in the middle of a purge where I sell some of the games that no longer get any play. Perhaps an excuse to dive into some Elder Scrolls and/or Rangers.

Sounds like a plan.

I sold off most of my Heroscape, except for stuff I can use in other games. I sold Rumbleslam, as well as Halo Ground Command. Gave away Guild Ball and some board games to a small local convention for them to use as prize support for charity.

I've also sold off many other board games, and will sell more that don't get played. My passion is mostly tabletop miniatures games, and I really enjoy Marvel Champions LCG.

Old March 18th, 2021, 07:53 PM
Promotable Material

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds like a plan.

I sold off most of my Heroscape, except for stuff I can use in other games. I sold Rumbleslam, as well as Halo Ground Command. Gave away Guild Ball and some board games to a small local convention for them to use as prize support for charity.

I've also sold off many other board games, and will sell more that don't get played. My passion is mostly tabletop miniatures games, and I really enjoy Marvel Champions LCG.
Still have my Heroscape stuff in a large box -- the group still occasionally play it, but we don't use any of the hexes and just play on a gridless battlefield with measuring sticks -- and I can use whatever terrain I have rather than making it work for the hexes. But for whatever reason, I just haven't convinced myself to sell it despite selling so much other stuff -- perhaps I'm sentimental.

Marvel Champions is great, I love the character driven storytelling -- my wife loves playing it as well, so that adds to the playability for me -- ultimately, Champions pushed Legendary to the "For Sale" list.
Old March 18th, 2021, 09:41 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

@Hellfire , that’s awesome that you use grid less play for scape. That’s how we have play using the rules from my pdf from awhile back. I still play on hexes when I go to the occasional tournament. I think more people would play grid less if they play other wargames as well. I sold off a huge chunk of scape last year but 3D printed it back ten fold. Only card games played at my house currently is a game called exploding kittens. I’ve been recently jumping back and forth painting up various board games and more 3D printed squads for Star Wars legion. I also picked up a few card sets for fallout wasteland warfare that I plan on printing additional models to use to add to my starter set.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old March 18th, 2021, 09:41 PM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Still have my Heroscape stuff in a large box -- the group still occasionally play it, but we don't use any of the hexes and just play on a gridless battlefield with measuring sticks -- and I can use whatever terrain I have rather than making it work for the hexes. But for whatever reason, I just haven't convinced myself to sell it despite selling so much other stuff -- perhaps I'm sentimental.

Marvel Champions is great, I love the character driven storytelling -- my wife loves playing it as well, so that adds to the playability for me -- ultimately, Champions pushed Legendary to the "For Sale" list.
I sold most of my collection to a fellow Scaper names Legoboy. He lives in the Chicago area and is a teacher. He has a game club at the school he teaches at for less fortunate kids and has played Scape with them for years. He wanted to add to his collection so more kids could play. I must have posted somewhere that I had been thinking of selling some stuff and he said that if I ever did, if I could give him first crack at it.

He's a great guy and I've played Heroscape with him before and participated in a small tournament he had at the school years ago. So I was for sure going to let him have first dibs.

My wife doesn't like games, so you are lucky in that department. I have everything released so far for Marvel Champions, though don't have Scarlett Witch yet. I have 98 plays in and still haven't gotten to the Wrecking Crew, Kang or Red Skull. Still have Spider Woman, Quick Silver, Hawkeye, Ant-Man and Wasp to try out too. I think I'll be set to playability for quite some time.

Old March 19th, 2021, 09:24 PM
Promotable Material

Quote:
@Hellfire , that’s awesome that you use grid less play for scape. That’s how we have play using the rules from my pdf from awhile back. I still play on hexes when I go to the occasional tournament. I think more people would play grid less if they play other wargames as well. I sold off a huge chunk of scape last year but 3D printed it back ten fold. Only card games played at my house currently is a game called exploding kittens. I’ve been recently jumping back and forth painting up various board games and more 3D printed squads for Star Wars legion. I also picked up a few card sets for fallout wasteland warfare that I plan on printing additional models to use to add to my starter set.
I picked up an Ender 3 recently to try out the 3d printing stuff. Might have to try printing some stuff for Legion -- I was thinking more along the lines of terrain based on the print qualities I've seen with he Ender.

It does seem that players who have experience with other tabletop war games are more likely to be open to or interested in playing Heroscape without hexes ... that said, most of my recent players have never heard of or played Heroscape so when I show them the rulers, they just take it as is.
Old March 19th, 2021, 09:32 PM
Promotable Material

Quote:
I sold most of my collection to a fellow Scaper names Legoboy. He lives in the Chicago area and is a teacher. He has a game club at the school he teaches at for less fortunate kids and has played Scape with them for years. He wanted to add to his collection so more kids could play. I must have posted somewhere that I had been thinking of selling some stuff and he said that if I ever did, if I could give him first crack at it.

He's a great guy and I've played Heroscape with him before and participated in a small tournament he had at the school years ago. So I was for sure going to let him have first dibs.

My wife doesn't like games, so you are lucky in that department. I have everything released so far for Marvel Champions, though don't have Scarlett Witch yet. I have 98 plays in and still haven't gotten to the Wrecking Crew, Kang or Red Skull. Still have Spider Woman, Quick Silver, Hawkeye, Ant-Man and Wasp to try out too. I think I'll be set to playability for quite some time.
Pretty cool that Legoboy has a student group.

Understandable that you got rid of the HS stuff. There are so many great games and well-designed ones to boot -- difficult to commit to HS. Plus, for me, I've gotten into Marvel Crisis Protocol and SW: Legion as my go to competitive (albeit I play pretty casually) miniatures games. They've been fun.

And wow! You've got more plays in Champions than I do ... although I do not know how many plays I actually have. King is pretty fun to play against, but I'm looking forward to playing through the campaign mode -- just picked up Scarlet Witch today -- so I plan to try her out (my wife probably will actually -- her favorite character and all).
Old March 20th, 2021, 10:06 AM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Pretty cool that Legoboy has a student group.

Understandable that you got rid of the HS stuff. There are so many great games and well-designed ones to boot -- difficult to commit to HS. Plus, for me, I've gotten into Marvel Crisis Protocol and SW: Legion as my go to competitive (albeit I play pretty casually) miniatures games. They've been fun.

And wow! You've got more plays in Champions than I do ... although I do not know how many plays I actually have. King is pretty fun to play against, but I'm looking forward to playing through the campaign mode -- just picked up Scarlet Witch today -- so I plan to try her out (my wife probably will actually -- her favorite character and all).
I don't play competitive, but I also dig Legion. Hopefully I can get it played again within a few months.

Marvel Crisis Protocol was super tempting, but I had to hold back. Seems fun with a lot of cool models, though I have heard they can be a pain to assemble.

Let me know how Scarlett Witch is. She seems like she could be fun. I know you had to see WandaVision.

Last edited by quozl; March 20th, 2021 at 11:22 AM.
Old March 22nd, 2021, 12:51 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

3 of my brothers came out for a mini tournament of rum and bones second tide today. It was a load of fun. We did random crew and hero rolls to see what we would be playing and it was a blast. We swapped the hero characters for each new game. It was a lot of fun trying out a bunch of the characters that we haven’t played before and was a fun challenge. I finished my orc crew of 41 models this last week and am going to knock out the last couple crews I have left to paint along with some smaller mercenary hero boxes. Lots of fun. Hoping to run another little tournament here soon. I’m going to photo shoot all the models I’ve painted for this game. I’ll also put them in to be used as crew figures for Frostgrave ghost archipelago.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures