Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old July 26th, 2021, 12:31 AM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Casters of Valhalla

https://castersofvalhalla.wixsite.co...-scapecon-bets

SCAPE BET

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link

There may be a prize for the winner- I'll figure it out post-ScapeCon.
Old August 3rd, 2021, 01:20 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

https://castersofvalhalla.wixsite.co...eta-prediction

This episode was recorded pre-ScapeCon. In it, Dok, SuperFrog, and I predict the meta of the ScapeCon and give you a taste of the behind-the-scenes of how we approach army building in different formats.

Note that I changed my Main Event army the week before- the build I talk about here is the build that Infected Sloth took to Top 8 on no practice after I told him about it at lunch that day.
Old August 3rd, 2021, 07:03 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

Fun listen.

General Wars I think was probably the biggest meta miss here. Rats were just nowhere to be found at General Wars. The only Rat build was Ultralord's Triple Rat Triple Hydra army that he pulled a very impressive 3-1 with. Between OEAO and JohnnyFrisbee there were more people trying to counter Rats with Repulsors than people actually playing Rats. Obviously the Repulsors counter the Vydar Soulborgs too, but I didn't really like those builds, I think they lose to Blades and Charos and Romans/Band and lots of other things. Vydar had a lot of representatives but the worst showing of any General, best record was 2-2.

I don't think it's just that Rats are a little taboo since there were a ton of Rats running around Betrayal and Sideboards and Good Old Days. Rats x3 Stingers x3 was a solid core, but I didn't see anything great to fill it out with that didn't float points, and I guess other builds felt more exciting. I think the 27-hex Blade build eats Rats and Stingers for breakfast. My cochampion Sacred Band x3 10th x2 Parmenio Marcus build loses hard to any sort of Rat build, but I just didn't have to face any. I was kind of aware that build was suboptimal going into the event, but I really wanted to play it and I got lucky to not get any brutal matchups.

There were barely any Mezzos either, despite all of the hype. It was a good format for them, but honestly the increase to 24 figures defined the format more than the Valkrill with any General change. Mezzos just can't deal with huge hordes of Blades or Band or whatever it is.

I didn't know that IS just picked up that Championship build and went with it, explains why it didn't feel like a Sloth build. Hybrid Scouts are a pretty cool concept.
Old August 3rd, 2021, 07:07 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18 View Post
Fun listen.

General Wars I think was probably the biggest meta miss here. Rats were just nowhere to be found at General Wars. The only Rat build was Ultralord's Triple Rat Triple Hydra army that he pulled a very impressive 3-1 with. Between OEAO and JohnnyFrisbee there were more people trying to counter Rats with Repulsors than people actually playing Rats. Obviously the Repulsors counter the Vydar Soulborgs too, but I didn't really like those builds, I think they lose to Blades and Charos and Romans/Band and lots of other things. Vydar had a lot of representatives but the worst showing of any General, best record was 2-2.

I don't think it's just that Rats are a little taboo since there were a ton of Rats running around Betrayal and Sideboards and Good Old Days. Rats x3 Stingers x3 was a solid core, but I didn't see anything great to fill it out with that didn't float points, and I guess other builds felt more exciting. I think the 27-hex Blade build eats Rats and Stingers for breakfast. My cochampion Sacred Band x3 10th x2 Parmenio Marcus build loses hard to any sort of Rat build, but I just didn't have to face any. I was kind of aware that build was suboptimal going into the event, but I really wanted to play it and I got lucky to not get any brutal matchups.

There were barely any Mezzos either, despite all of the hype. It was a good format for them, but honestly the increase to 24 figures defined the format more than the Valkrill with any General change. Mezzos just can't deal with huge hordes of Blades or Band or whatever it is.

I didn't know that IS just picked up that Championship build and went with it, explains why it didn't feel like a Sloth build. Hybrid Scouts are a pretty cool concept.
I gave Johnny that build at lunch that day- he was much less happy with it than Nathan was with my main event build, lmao...
Old September 3rd, 2021, 05:29 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

I figured I'd post this here:

https://www.fantasyandsomeflights.co...to-a-dead-game

I had the pleasure of joining Major Q23's brother Nelson (who I first met... a decade ago?) and his friend Dalton on their podcast, Fantasy and Some Flights to talk about ScapeCon a little bit! Check out their other episodes for more great conversations about board games, books, and brews!
Old October 1st, 2021, 09:15 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

https://castersofvalhalla.wixsite.co...n-ii-announced

ScapeCon II: July 13-17 in Indy! LFG

Mike is joined by George (Dragon Ruler), Chandler (Mr Wookiee), and Sir HeroScape to quickly recap ScapeCon I and briefly discuss ScapeCon II.

ScapeCon II Announcement

Sir HeroScape's ScapeCon Recap Video:
Old October 2nd, 2021, 09:36 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEAO View Post

Mike is joined by George (Dragon Ruler), Chandler (Mr Wookiee), and Sir HeroScape to quickly recap ScapeCon I and briefly discuss ScapeCon II.

ScapeCon II Announcement

Sir H's ScapeCon Recap Video
Looks like you guys had a great time. Everything looked pretty nice. Glad you guys liked my dicebowls and dice towers. I pride myself on improving my craft. It only gets better as I add new tools and techniques to my crafting arsenal. Glad they were well received and seeing such puts a smile on my face, so thank you. If this kind of thing is ongoing and you need me to rig some things up in the workshop in the future let me know. If you have more specifics I can cater to that with enough time in advance.
Old October 5th, 2021, 03:49 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OEAO View Post

ScapeCon II Announcement

Sir H's ScapeCon Recap Video
Looks like you guys had a great time. Everything looked pretty nice. Glad you guys liked my dicebowls and dice towers. I pride myself on improving my craft. It only gets better as I add new tools and techniques to my crafting arsenal. Glad they were well received and seeing such puts a smile on my face, so thank you. If this kind of thing is ongoing and you need me to rig some things up in the workshop in the future let me know. If you have more specifics I can cater to that with enough time in advance.
No, thank YOU Trex! These were amazing prizes. ScapeCon II has already be announced. I’m not sure on any details on prizing yet, but I appreciate you offering to do them again, and I won’t hesitate to reach out!
Old February 25th, 2022, 02:32 PM

Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Just discovered this podcast - what an awesome listen!! A couple of pod suggestions:

- Building a Heroscape collection (which units to get first, etc.)
- C3V power rankings (those power rank episodes were so fun - can we get the C3V units in?)
- C3V strategy article: Cathar Spearmen particularly
Old February 26th, 2022, 12:20 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox View Post
Just discovered this podcast - what an awesome listen!! A couple of pod suggestions:

- Building a Heroscape collection (which units to get first, etc.)
- C3V power rankings (those power rank episodes were so fun - can we get the C3V units in?)
- C3V strategy article: Cathar Spearmen particularly
Thanks for listening!

I've had the first planned for a while; I just need to sit down and actually record it. We can definitely hit the changes in the VC power rankings in an episode or two.

I'm not the most qualified to give strategy advice on the Cathar Spearman (either playing with or against them), so I'll probably leave that to someone else (@dok, @vegietarian_18 ).
Old February 28th, 2022, 08:14 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

https://castersofvalhalla.wixsite.co...es-and-nagrubs

Mike (OEAO), Ken (Matthias Maccabeus), Nathan (infectedsloth), and Matthew (ISB3) break down the two main "king" armies (armies dependent on a central bonding figure). We discuss each bonding option for each of these two squads.

This was recorded last spring; I apologize for the delay in getting this one out. Also, Nathan's mic levels were a little inconsistent, so I apologize for any changes in audio level.

Edit: And a huge thank you to everyone who has listened! In only 21 episodes, we've had over 10.5K streams!

Last edited by OEAO; February 28th, 2022 at 10:35 PM.
Old March 1st, 2022, 03:56 PM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Fun listen, as always. Thanks for the content.

A few thoughts on the "King" army type:
- I think Arrow Gruts (AGs) can function as a King army bonding squad just like the Greenscales (GWs) & Nagrubs, specifically when you run AGs without Swogs (which I think is probably the better army). Something like Raelin, Mimring, AGs x4. This is definitely not as strong as Nilfheim w/ GWs, but it has 2 unique advantages: disengage & 13.33 points per squad figure. This can actually be ported to a decent (albeit 2nd tier at best) 4x400 army: Raelin, Mimring, AGs x3, MWs.
- I think Zelrig works better with rats than GWs. As you mentioned, GWs have a hard time keeping up with Zelrig and you rarely get the boosted attack because you want Zelrig to be 7 spaces away when attacking. At 500 points, something like Raelin, Zelrig, Q10, Rats x2 is neat because you can open Zelrig, then retreat him behind the rats and shift to Q10, and still have Zelrig as an end-game figure for whenever Q10 falls.
- Braxas might be the dragon that least wants a companion bonding squad, just because she needs some other offensive piece that can handle large figures more. I think in most cases Braxas + some other sharky figure, especially something that can double as a screen, like Warforged, is going to give much better matchup smoothing without loosing too much in the matchups where Greenscales or Rats are real useful.
- King armies, especially dragon builds, really want Marro Warriors (MWs); probably more than any other army. You mentioned it on the podcast, but I just want to emphasize it as it's just so important. Having a 2nd life after your king figure dies, for just 50 points, is just amazing, and you can frequently use your king to target whatever matches up best into MWs to setup a good end-game matchup.
- Quahon isn't imaginary "Big Blue Wyrmling" is a fun nickname though. I certainly agree with Nathan though on how strong this army is; I think the Spiders version of it is vastly superior to the GWs version of the army though; I can't imagine I'd ever run Quahon with GWs instead of Spiders in a bring-1 format. Faster, cheaper, OM removal; they just have tons of advantages, with lower defense being the only big weakness.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion